No announcement yet.

Oppinions- perfect sq footage for family of 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep this in mind you're not only needing room for your family but needing room for all your kids friends. My stepson was in sports and it seems like we always had the whole team over lol.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Comment

We have about 2300 sqft for 4 and I wish we had about 500 more. We have a large master and guest bedroom but I don’t have a hunting room anymore.

Comment

Don't go any smaller than 3000 sq ft . As kids get bigger you will need more space and if you plan on keeping the house, grandkids need a LOT of space. Smaller bedrooms and larger living area/kitchen is a must. Don't listen to people that tell you a 5X7 bathroom is big enough. They don't know what they are talking about.

Comment

Our house is small. 1325 ft2 and that includes the garage. Raised two kids and when they left it got bigger.[emoji1]
          I think most importantly we needed a bigger kitchen and pantry but it has been enough. Paid it off in 13 years and major debt free for the last 18 years. I think that is the best thing to do. Buy what you can pay off reasonably quickly.

Gary

Comment

We are empty nesters as of August ‘18, our house in Bay City is on the market. 3 kids, 3 bath, 3000 ft is what we did

Comment

Layout and efficiency are more important than sf.

You never stop paying taxes on that extra sf.

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
                Don't go any smaller than 3000 sq ft . As kids get bigger you will need more space and if you plan on keeping the house, grandkids need a LOT of space. Smaller bedrooms and larger living area/kitchen is a must. Don't listen to people that tell you a 5X7 bathroom is big enough. They don't know what they are talking about.
                Devil's advocate take.....

A standard tub & shower is 5 X 3 so I think your 5 X 7 is pushing it unless your talking about a glass encased shower that you would find in a house that was built in the 50's or earlier. I agree, they blow.

Your going to have your grandkids staying with you about the same amount of time people who have boats use them. Sleeping bags are cool with kids.

This is a high estimate at a month but lets say your entire family has to stay in your 3000 sqft house. Cramped yes, but it can be done. No worse than staying in a hotel. So for the other 11 months of the year the two of you have about 2000 sqft of unused space. Is that really practical?

It's not a money thing either. There's no reason not to live in a 7000 sqft house if that's what you want, but so little of it gets used enough to really justify it in most scenarios I have seen.

Comment

Agree with the guys about the storage. We have a 2800 sq foot for 4 of us. That's great but I would almost turn some of it into more storage if I could. We only have a 2 car garage and small washer/dryer room. Would take some of the space for a mud room and bigger garage.

Comment

I'd say 2,200 - 2,500 sq foot is a good range. That allows for a decent size family room, kitchen, etc. Over 3,000 can be nice in certain respects; but also unnecessary. Larger floor plans often include bonus rooms/areas and larger bedrooms.

I would also agree that layout can have a significant effect as well. My in-laws house is 3,300 sq foot, new build, single story, open concept. The house does not feel larger than our 2,400 sq foot, 2 story layout that has the master downstairs and 4 bedrooms upstairs.

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post

I’m sorry but this seems like a outrageous comment to me lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

For the record... our plan was around 1800 sq feet with smallish bedrooms. Not only is all we do is sleep in them, frankly that’s all i want my kids doing in them. I’d prefer them not being a good hangout spot and go outside.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                          All depends on how many mounts you have! 2 people, 2 big dogs with almost 50 mounts and 2400 sq ft and still not enough room for the mounts!

I have 2 Great Danes with two people and have 2500 SQ Ft with all closets filled. My main thing is closest space and garage space.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                            2400sf of living and 5000sf of storage
                            Sold

Comment

It's just a personal question with no wrong or right answer. So many choices for a family wants/needs in a home. Personally I like bigger rooms over smaller ones in general. My home that I am building at the moment is about 3900 sqft living space with 3 BR and 2 1/2 bath. Also have a 3400sqft shop to help with storage. More that some less than others but it suites my family just fine.

Comment

Love grows best in small houses. . . so does conflict and divorce. :-). Have been married for 15 years without an argument. Then again, we have plenty of space. 😂

Comment

Working...
                                X