No announcement yet.

Oppinions- perfect sq footage for family of 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have a tad over 1850 and I think it pretty good. The only thing I would change is to make my hunting closet bigger.

This may change as our kiddos get older...

Comment

We are right at 3,000 sq ft but 500 of that is my man cave with all my mounts, office desk, safe, etc. We have plenty of livable space but there isn't much closet/storage space which my wife hates. I think 2,000-2,500 would be plenty if laid out correctly.

Comment

There’s never enough garage and storage space for all of the kids and my bs. I’d trade interior sq ft for more storage room. 4 ppl 3400 with 3 car currently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
          2400sf of living and 5000sf of storage
          This!

Comment

We are right at 2800sf living 4 bedrooms and 3.5 baths for a family of 3 is it big? Yes but we are comfortable and there are guestrooms for family and friends personally I feel you would need to check out open houses and get a feel of the sf for comparisons and layouts

Comment

Depends on how many females are in the family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

2700-3000 would be right for us. That gives you a guest room and office (I work from home), and either a dining or game room depending on layout. That said, we could always get by with smaller...

Comment

We just sold our 3/2/2 with 2100 sqft. Honestly, it was PERFECT. It allowed a decent sized gameroom/playroom between the kids bedrooms which was completely open. Had the right size formal dining room and breakfast nook. Large master suite. There was zero wasted space. We needed no more and no less.

We are currently waiting on some land to pop up so we can build and we will plan on building between 1900-2100 sqft

Layout is everything. Wasted space can kill square footage in a home.

Comment

Family of 3 here in 1760 and it’s plenty big enough for us. I’d say you’re right on the money for a family of 4.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                      2400sf of living and 5000sf of storage
                      Perfect. Storage for All for my hunting gear!

Comment

I survived growing up in a one bathroom, 2 bedroom, 1000 sf’er... that should do

Comment

Thanks all for the replies

Comment

The numbers above sound right just make sure you look into storage space and 2 bathrooms.

Comment

Family of 4 here in 2200 sq ft and it’s great. Each kid has a bedroom, they have a playroom (would-be home office) so toys and crap stay out of the living room. Big kitchen and master suite.

Only thing I’d do different if I were building is a garage I could park my pickup in. I’d make it 30x30 with 2 12x10 doors. I hate normal “2 car” garages.

Comment

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
                                Grew up in a house of 4 with ~1400 square feet. Didn't know it was small until somebody told me. Have 2600 now for 2 of us and it's too big, wife complains about having to clean it.
                                Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                                We live in 1600sqft. I love the house. Space where it matters. Kitchen, family, master bath. Bedrooms are smaller but we really only go in there to sleep. Only down side is the lack of a guest bed. When someone comes to visit they gotta sleep in my 4yr olds room with the dinasaurs and stuffed animals and LEGO land mines. He sleeps in the bed with us in that case.

Originally posted by SwampRanger View Post
                                I survived growing up in a one bathroom, 2 bedroom, 1000 sf’er... that should do
                                Just under 1600, raised 2 kids and never felt crowded

All depends on your needs

Entertaining was limited but otherwise no complaints

My motto has always been "minimum house, maximum land"

Comment

Working...
                                X