Time for a good grammar thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
    weather ewe like it are knot, the weigh ewe right reflect’s on you’re intelligents.
    fify

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
      "ATV" is not a word, nor an acronym, but rather an initialism. Adding an apostrophe to an initialism is a matter of style—the Associated Press Stylebook and The Chicago Manual of Style recommend adding an apostrophe to a plural initialism, while The New York Times recommends the opposite.

There is no wrong way with an initialism. My personal preference is no apostrophe.
      Oxford Dictionary leans toward NOT using an apostrophe with an initialism:

When you are forming the plural of an initialism, you do not need to use an apostrophe, for example:
      MPs
      e.g. MPs voted against the bill.
      CDs
      e.g. I bought some new CDs today.

Note that the possessive form of initialisms is formed in the usual way, with an apostrophe + s:

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
        Oxford Dictionary leans toward NOT using an apostrophe with an initialism:

When you are forming the plural of an initialism, you do not need to use an apostrophe, for example:
        MPs
        e.g. MPs voted against the bill.
        CDs
        e.g. I bought some new CDs today.

Note that the possessive form of initialisms is formed in the usual way, with an apostrophe + s:
        1. Consider your source. It's using phrases like "full stop." We stopped caring about full stops in 1776. Don't be un-American.

2. Even your own source clearly indicates it's a suggestion, not a mandate.

Comment

Similar to APA and Chicago "recommending"

Comment

grammar? i hardly know 'er

Comment

Similar to APA and Chicago "recommending"
              You are chasing the bumper. When you catch it, you aren't going to know what to do next.

Your statement that "ATV's" is incorrect is a false statement. There is no rule about apostrophes for initialisms. Thus there is no right or wrong answer about whether to add an apostrophe. There are only suggestions.

Comment

This is to much information in one day.

Not grammatical but I can't stand when people call a cap a hat.

Comment

I would argue that the extensive use of ATV and the way it is pronounced with little to no pause moves it out of the category of initialism and into the category of a noun. I would venture that very few people are thinking "all terrain vehicle" when their brain translates the letters ATV into a from hearing to thought. Much like HIV. It started out as one thing and has taken on a new life as a noun.

Comment

How about the word “lobble “ ?
                    My wife says it’s not a word

If a buck comes to the feeder, it’s lobble to get shot

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
                      Looks like somebody turned in a poorly written report to the Lieutenant! Let's please address "that's" and "had" on the next how-to post...I knew a Sergeant that would go nuts about it.
                      Hek, my Lt's righting an gramar is worce then most of the oficers. Thats no joek! I gett so annoited when I get the reporrts up in defectives that I serciously cant' make what thay talcking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                        How about the word “lobble “ ?
                        My wife says it’s not a word

If a buck comes to the feeder, it’s lobble to get shot
                        Then once you shoot the buck it lobbles till it falls.

Comment

Had to go buy some new metric ranches to work on my lawnmower. Thought I mite steer the pot a little.

Comment

The Apostrophe: America's Most Misunderstood Mark

The apostrophe has a few useful applications!

1. Replace missing letters to form new words.

Examples:
                            • He is hungry. He's hungry.
                            • I would not do that. I wouldn't do that.
                            • She will be here later. She'll be here later.

As you can see, the apostrophe was used to replace letters and assist in combining two words into a new word.

Generally, most people understand the above use of the much maligned apostrophe.

2. Show possession.

This is the one that a large portion of the population struggles with. They don't understand the apostrophe, so they overuse it (often incorrectly). The same people, that don't understand the apostrophe, are often the same people, that overuse it's first cousin, the comma.

Bad examples of apostrophe use commonly observed on TBH:
                            • I have two Honda Foreman's for sale.
                            • Hunt includes all the varmint's you can shoot.
                            • No ATV's allowed.
                            • Waiting on my suppressor's

The above examples are incorrect because the words with the apostrophes are simply plural words that have the apostrophe added. Take away the apostrophe...and the word is correct.

Correct example of apostrophes used to show possession:
                            • That deer stand is Mark's. He put it up last year.
                            • That is Susan's bow.
                            • We are going to Tom's house.

There are additional rules that may apply when the word ends in "s", but I have to get back to work!

My investigator's have a lot of homicide's to investigate...and I have to make sure they are filing charge's, completing report's, putting suspect's in jail, and not taking long lunch's.
                            Struggled with grammar my whole life. Went to a continuing education seminar on grammar a few years ago. Instructors credentials including reviewing the US Congresses grammar in their Act's of law (there is a committee of people who spell check our Act's of law, so that it's official copy is most grammatically correct *for its time). Her main point is that our "official grammar rules" change, often, and what was correct in your school days has changed multiple times since you learned it. Moreover, your grammar teachers version when they learned has changed as well and what you were taught may or may not have been grammatically correct in the first place if that teacher assumed what they had been taught was correct, and so on, and so on…...

However, if you are the CO, what you say goes.

I’m not saying you do this, but, just keep in mind your troops might be thinking about your requirement for "correct grammar" in their reports, when the next few moments of their tour of duty might demand their fullest attention....

Comment

I'll try to right won :-)

Isnt thread some thing you sow up a whole in you're genes with 0:-)

Comment

For those still with us, and still wonder-n:

It was the red witch of Green wich that was the spell-r of spells, and who was also the sell-r of sails on sale, which led to the spell-n of this sentence on which words to use when want-n to sell the sails of a spell bound witch spell-r.

Comment

Working...
                                X