South Texas Hunters Thread 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rattler7696 View Post
    Had A couple of Mature bucks chasing a doe Sunday morning. Also saw a few small buck pushing does by feeders but they weren’t ready. I think some of the older mature does might be starting to enter their cycle and those mature buck will lock down on those until they are ready. The next 3 days are great weather wise. Our rut in Webb county is usually Around December 15. I did rattle a few times this weekend but no luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    We’re about 15 miles ENE of you in Dimmit. I walked and rattled Wednesday from 8:30-10:30 in the a.m. 10 bucks, all young or middle aged except for 1. We walked up on the one mature buck easing in about 50 yards down the road from where we rattled...big boys still cautious right now, but it’s getting close. For whatever reason, the best consistent mature buck rattling responses for me have come Post-rut the first few days of January. But also lots of broken antlers that late too.

Comment

Originally posted by SeaSpray View Post
      I have hunted La Salle County on the same place for over 25 years. I have always thought Dec 15th was around the peak. It can be a magical time but can also be extremely slow when all the mature deer lock down on a doe. With that said Im taking off Dec 14th - 18th and feel pretty confident Im going to hit the peak.
      I'm also in LaSalle the very northern edge of it. Rut is super slow for me because of 1 primary reason. There are just too many dang doe. Rattling does squat for me. I have 1 side high fenced neighbor and his bucks come runnin when I rattle, but on my side I think it pushes them further away since they don't need competition.

I talked a biologist in LaSalle and he said probably wouldn't hurt to take 5-6 doe. I need to learn to do my own butchering before I go crazy like that. Need 2 more freezers while I'm at it.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
        Headed down tomorrow to hunt until I kill or have to return to work on the 22nd. Whichever happens first.
        Jealous, just stepped out of the office to grab a bite to eat and my neck swelled up! Pretty deery lookin weather out there right now.

Comment

Headed down tomorrow night for the weekend, wish this weather would hold for a few more days but looks like 80’s again Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by tmurray View Post
            Headed down tomorrow night for the weekend, wish this weather would hold for a few more days but looks like 80’s again Saturday.
            Yea I’m headed down at lunch tomorrow. Been a frustrating year for us so far. Not seeing very many mature bucks. Tons of 3-5 yr olds but so far the old men are hiding.

Comment

Younger deer are responding to horns, had a member rattle up a 3.5 yr old 8 to about 40 yards this morning. Upon losing interest he went back to chasing a doe. I can't wait to get down there this evening. Stupid job.

Comment

Be there all next week... Hope my timing is good... My buddy shot a Skimmer buck right after he bread a doe... He shot the buck, then shot the doe... last weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                  Be there all next week... Hope my timing is good... My buddy shot a Skimmer buck right after he bread a doe... He shot the buck, then shot the doe... last weekend.
                  That'll teach her to raise her standards!

Comment

South Texas Hunters Thread 2019

Double skimming is illegal in webb county!!!

I had 13 bucks on one doe last weekend. Pretty funny. This full moon is going to get it going pretty good I think.
                    Last edited by kyle1974; 12-13-2019, 04:31 PM.

Comment

We have seen a few bucks cruising through looking for love this morning In Zapata County. Nothing chasing but they are moving a little bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Did he put some butter on that bread first?

Good luck everyone in the brush!

Comment

Seen a 4 year old chasing some does this am b nothing to serious yet.

Comment

A guest shot this guy this morning on our place.

Comment

That's a hoss there. Nice looking buck.

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
                                A guest shot this guy this morning on our place.

Heck yeah!

Comment

Working...
                                X