Electric trucks are coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KNEE DEEP View Post
    Your right, but it’s still electric with batteries. They will go bad and it won’t be cheap.to replace.
    What kind of batteries were you running? Lead acid or lithium?

If you were using lead acid (most common and least expensive) their lifespan is much lower than lithium (10X by most estimates). yes, they will have to be replaced at some point also, but so do combustion engines. No the lifespan of lithium batteries isn't equal to that of IC engines yet, but who's to say they won't be within a few years.
    Last edited by BigWes; 02-19-2019, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jaspermac View Post
      I don’t think you can compare a Tesla to a golf cart
      I am all for electric cars. However, check out this video of the Rimac taking a massive wreck. It ended up burning for weeks because one Li-ion battery got damaged, then started on fire. It burned slowly, then damaged the next battery. It did this for the multiple thousand batteries there are in this car.

By the way, Grand Tour is the best show you probably aren't watching.

https://jalopnik.com/richard-hammond...ing-1795985170

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
        Latest entry into the electric car field.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...E32A&FORM=VIRE
        Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by KNEE DEEP View Post
          Your right, but it’s still electric with batteries. They will go bad and it won’t be cheap.to replace.
          I've often wondered about that, too. Every nook and cranny in that vehicle has a battery stuffed in it. I shudder to think of the cost of replacing all of them.

Comment

Yet again, I don't think we are factoring in the exponential rate of change we are currently having with respect to technology and development. I don't think our past experiences are giving a clear picture of the rate of change, it's hard to comprehend and quantify

Comment

Originally posted by camoclad View Post
              Yet again, I don't think we are factoring in the exponential rate of change we are currently having with respect to technology and development. I don't think our past experiences are giving a clear picture of the rate of change, it's hard to comprehend and quantify
              I agree. In college I took a class and they said the amount of information on the planet was doubling every 7 years. That was 20 years ago. So we know 6x now what we did then at a minimum. I'd bet the rate our information doubles at today is substantially less than 7 years. I do know that I never thought a car would drive itself....and here we are on the cusp.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

This thing is fugly...

Comment

Tesla's car's are ugly too. That won't stop people from buying the trendy new thing. Even if it can only ever be used in a city.

Comment

Flying cars are here sorta, if you can spare a half mil or more.
                    Useful electric trucks.....not happening unless useful means a trip to HEB .

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                      This thing is fugly...
                      Only thing missing is a Z71 decal!

Comment

Thats the new tesla... yes.. you can order one ..its not a prototype ..its production...
                        Looks like they ripped the design from a old tom petty video.

Comment

City of San Antone has hybrid F150's now, they are junk. Battery pack is in the bed and the trucks can't get over 60 mph before they start vibrating real bad, something to do with the transmission though.

Comment

These vehicles brag about that 300 to 500 mile range but its not like filling up with gas after that range. You have to park that sucker for 10 hours to charge it. Can you imagine the line at gas stations if it took 10 hours to fuel up?

Comment

Think about it. In 5 years an electric vehicle will be in most peoples drive way. There is literally no maintenance. No oil changes, no gas, no fuel filters, oxygen sensors or anything else. Only saving you money.

I drove a Tesla model 3. If I was in the market for a car in that price range I would definately buy one. No doubt in my mind. If I was going to buy a new truck I would wait a while and get an electric model.

They wanted $75 to change the oil for synthetic on my ford ranger. Add up the costs every year and it is cheaper than a gas vehicle over a few years.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                                These vehicles brag about that 300 to 500 mile range but its not like filling up with gas after that range. You have to park that sucker for 10 hours to charge it. Can you imagine the line at gas stations if it took 10 hours to fuel up?
                                Car guy it take 8-10 hours at your house because it charges slower there. If you supercharge it takes about 20-25 minutes.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                                X