No announcement yet.

JFT Turkey Tour 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Karnes County. I don’t think there are any Easterns there...?

Comment

Originally posted by eyedoc View Post
      Karnes County. I don’t think there are any Easterns there...?
      Nope, not to mention easterns aren’t in season in Texas. Congrats on the beautiful bird though.

Comment

Originally posted by Beards&Spurs View Post
        Nope, not to mention easterns aren’t in season in Texas. Congrats on the beautiful bird though.
        They are in season if that county is labeled a Rio county. Could be a hybrid

Comment

[
          IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190401/3b415b4f6852895207c50806bd8b02eb.jpg[/IMG]

Another pic...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
              Very nice!

Why does one pass on a mature gobbler?
              Seems like this was asked about a week or two ago and the tables were turned

Comment

Originally posted by eyedoc View Post

Cool fan. Primaries more rio. Secondaries definitely favor eastern. I think you may have hybrid. Looking at the body of the bird did he appear more black or have that iridescent sheen?

Comment

Maybe not as iridescent as usual, but I really didn’t pay close attention and it was cloudy as well.

Comment

Lavaca Co has a small pocket of Easterns. It's possible that the genetics have made it to your hunting area
                    Attached Files

Comment

Most of the birds we kill in Karnes are darker colored...but I doubt they have any Eastern in them.

Comment

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
                        Lavaca Co has a small pocket of Easterns. It's possible that the genetics have made it to your hunting area
                        Whats up with the random blank spots that don't show any turkeys? hard to trust a map like this

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
                          Whats up with the random blank spots that don't show any turkeys? hard to trust a map like this
                          Those are areas where Clay Dub and Robin Hood have exterminated the population. Wish those guys would ease up once in a while and take a camera to the blind instead of the arsenal

Comment

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
                            Those are areas where Clay Dub and Robin Hood have exterminated the population. Wish those guys would ease up once in a while and take a camera to the blind

For real though...that western part of Karnes may be the most dense turkey population in the county.

Comment

Lol. It looks like the image I posted was from 1997 so I imagine populations have gone up in a lot of places.

Comment

Eyedoc, go back on this thread and look up info for a grad student somewhere doing their thesis on genetic distribution in wild turkeys. She was wanting some breast feathers from some birds for her project to sample their DNA makeup. Would be interesting to see what your bird is

Comment

Working...
                                X