JFT Turkey Tour 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aggiebush View Post
    243, I stayed home and went to a crawfish boil last night. Planning to head back up next weekend, for one last chance. Are they still talking some, they were pretty quiet last weekend?
    If I was missing a turkey hunt, a crawfish boil would be a solid reason. Where we are hunting there are still some birds gobbling well and responding to calls. I would think you should be able to find a couple of vocal birds in RR co next weekend to work. I think this cool wet spring delayed nesting and some nests have been broken up and a few hens going back to toms. This morning we never heard the bird far away that I heard last night. Went to a different spot and found a bird gobbling his head off. Took a little while to get to him but he was gobbling a lot after fly down. Immediately responded to 2 soft calls and cut distance halfway in hurry. Then we hear a hen near him and no more gobbling. A little later he gobbles a few times and going in opposite direction till he is out of ear shot. I assume hen led him away. This late in season I typically hear no gobbling and toms and jakes flocked up. Good luck next weekend and be persistent. Get as close to a gobbling bird as you can and if you don't think they have been called to much then get aggressive. If u think those nearby guys have been messing with them I would call once or twice and if bird immediately responds then don't call anymore and let him find you and sit tight. Do a wing fly down with a wing or hat before he flys down and he will probably gobble at it. I wouldn't call more than once softly to him while still on limb. Good luck and keep us posted how it's going

Comment

Aggie Bush are you headed out for Easterns? Went out Wednesday for one more try. No birds gobbling in spot we worked a bird Sunday. Went to another spot 5mi away I hunt and found a bird gobbling off in the distance but it was well after fly down. Closed the distance to him and made a few calls and he started working his way to me until a hen started yelping and pulled him the other direction. In the past hens have responded to calling and come in to see who is making the fuss. This year they go get their Tommy and leave the party. Good luck if you make it out to RR Co. Been a fun season. Congrats to all you turkey killers

Comment

Working...
      X