Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would have passed

Comment

I’m of the idea that paying members should be allowed to bring any guest(s) they want as long as the guests sit in the blind with you and shoot off your allotment.

Multiple blinds filled with non-paying guests is bull hockey, IMO. That just adds hunting pressure to the whole place.

Comment

Originally posted by ByronB View Post
        Your question really creates a whole new thread. You will receive various responses none of which are right or wrong. It’s just an opinion. Question....Do you have a child over the age of 18 that enjoys bow hunting? Sounds like you may not have any children based on your statement above. Hear me out and think ahead to your future. Here is my situation and my opinion. I have a 22 year old son at Texas A&M that bow hunts with me maybe three times per year. Two of those times during deer season. One time during the off season...I sit with him and he has access to my deer allotment. For those that say......”He should pay for his own spot”......well, there are no spots on the lease available. He hunts three times per year. He doesn’t make $4000 per year for a lease. He goes to school full time and has a small part-time gig. I also have a 19 year old Daughter that likes to bow hunt. She hunts once per year. How many 19 year olds do you know that have thier own spot on a nice ranch? As you can tell, I am on the side of.....immediate Family can hunt with you. I also find it funny when folks have a hard fast rule on the age of 18 years old and they don’t even have kids. Cracks me up a little. Again....their opinion so no right or wrong. I just do not agree with it. To me rules like that keep youngsters from Bow Hunting. Again, just my two cents. I would rather spend time with my kids in a bow blind than by myself. I am fortunate that I hunt on a Family friendly Bow Hunting Ranch and it works out great for all of the members. All the members bring their kids during the season at some point. We enjoy seeing the kids bring in an animal after a hunt. When my children have full-time careers then they can lease wherever they decide. Until then, I will hunt on places where I can take them. I do hope that you find a place that matches your needs.
        And yours is some what unique in the amount of times your kids go out. Not very many. These guys sound like they are out all the time at 2 paying members expense. Think of it this other way.

The lease boss is not paying, other members are paying his tab for the title. But he still brings in his 2 grown sons? Sorry, I guess I do have a problem there. That's just me I guess though.

We keep saying all the time "get the kids in the sport". How I see it here is there are 5 grown men, not kids, pretty much mooching off the others. So yes in comparison yours is really not similar imo.

Comment

Nope not for me.

Comment

Originally posted by dgilbert View Post
            Nope not for me.
            I found a pic of you when you were in motors. I will get a pic and post it on the THF Gilbert. Yeah nothing to do with the thread I know but I saw you lurking. You JD and some others.

Comment

Bryon B - your college aged kids would fall more under a "guest" category to me. It really just depends on how a group (or landowner/ramrod) wants to do it. There is no right or wrong way.

Comment

Community stands are the only way to go in my opinion. I don’t pay to lease 5K acres to only ever get to hunt 500 of it. The whole “that’s my deer” way of thinking kills me.

Comment

Originally posted by elliscountyhog View Post
                  Sounds like lease boss is having his cake with icing and some milk to boot
                  This. No way I would be on this place.

Comment

I bet that place gets whored out

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
                      And yours is some what unique in the amount of times your kids go out. Not very many. These guys sound like they are out all the time at 2 paying members expense. Think of it this other way.

The lease boss is not paying, other members are paying his tab for the title. But he still brings in his 2 grown sons? Sorry, I guess I do have a problem there. That's just me I guess though.

We keep saying all the time "get the kids in the sport". How I see it here is there are 5 grown men, not kids, pretty much mooching off the others. So yes in comparison yours is really not similar imo.
                      Again, no right or wrong. I was just answering your question. Now, pertaining to the situation on that particular lease you brought up.....not for me either. There is a point when folks take advantage of a situation. The one you described may be it.

Comment

Sounds like a heck of a deal...for the lease boss. What a scam.

Especially if they live much closer. Way more deer get shot than reported. Guaranteed.

On my lease, all the stands are community. Most of us have “regular” spots that we kind of have dibs on, but if someone wants to hunt there and says so first, then so be it.
                        If guests are in camp, their blinds get chosen after all the paying members decide where to sit. It helps that we have 15 blinds and 10 members. And that there are rarely more than about 4-5 hunting at a time.

Comment

Sounds like a free for all.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                            Sounds like a free for all.

Sounds like a free for some....not all [emoji12]

Comment

Long story short is have you told your buddy to shove his leasing opening up his #$$ yet?

Comment

I am a "lease boss". I pay the same as others, though. After what I have gone through the last couple of weeks dealing with a ranch manager (not owner), I'm sure I could convince many of you that a guy that puts up with that **** for the sake of his entire group should get something out of the deal. What a pain in the backside. I found the lease, deal with the agreement, payment, etc so I get to make the final call on a lot of things. However, the group is cherry picked by me, mostly all know each other well, and I discuss important stuff with all of them. I'm happy to pay and would never expect to get my lease at no cost because I'm in control of it.

We have community blinds but the owner of the blind gets priority, always. No deer are reserved for anyone. If it's in front of you and you're hunting...get after it. I don't want to pay a sizable amount to stare at the same spot for an entire season. Community blinds are nice as long as you can control your group and all are working together. We are bow only.

College aged kids (call it 23 and under, not on their own yet) and spouses are part of the paying spot. However, kids cannot take down another blind and must hunt with a parent. Spouses can split up. Each spot hunts off one license worth of tags.

This has worked pretty well, so far. Our biggest issue has been the new ranch manager. It's been upsetting what we've gone through.

Comment

Working...
                                X