Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

New lease and rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boy wonder View Post
    Be glad they are honest about the $ and other details.

Yea it may not be for you or me but at least he seemed upfront with how it works. I am a lease boss and would never expect everyone else to pay for my spot . However if you ask me I'd gladly give up my position to any of our members even if they paid my spot. And we have a great group of guys but I can tell you some of childish things I've had to referee over the years ain't worth $5000.00 a year .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Huntsman27 View Post

What do other lease managers do that warrants their spot being paid by the membership?

I think the more people you have on a deer lease, the more members, the more it justifies the lease manager having his spot paid for. Who gets to go show the ranch when a spot opens up and you bring in someone new? Who enforces the rules when you have people break them? Who deals with the neighbors (and land owner) when their cows break through the fence and start eating everyone's protein. Who negotiates the contract with the land owner? Who goes out and takes the bulldozer operator around when you as a group decide to clear some new roads or fix the existing ones. Who goes to the funeral when the land owner dies? It can be a lot of responsibility and headache. Most go hunting to get away from headaches. Obviously if you are in charge of something the flip side is you get to decide or at least greatly influence how things are done. I think about half of the issues are eliminated with a tight nit group of friends. But that isn't always the case.

Comment

That's exactly the opposite that I look for in a lease. Sounds like a full camp season round...high pressure. Be glad you didn't become a 1/7 donor to that arrangement. I'm ok with family and guest shooting your tags, but I think they should only hunt with the member.

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
          I had a guy on another forum threaten me with death when I brought up others paying his dues and the justification behind it. They are in South Texas so I am sure it isn't a 2-3 Gs lease but lots more.

I don't know maybe some can chime in as lease bosses and clarify. But again if you want on the lease how or who gets paid is not the issue I guess.
          I'm a lease boss and pay exactly what the others pay, I do in return get an extra tag for my troubles. The extra tag consists of a 5 year old deer or older that scores 120 or less which I let my father shoot. So there is a little incentive there, but at times it hasn't been worth a 115 inch deer.

Comment

I would pass on that place for sure. I hunt about 30 miles from Ozona and have a way better lease deal than that.

Comment

You already know the answer!

Comment

So someone tell me what "immediate family" means on your lease. To me it's my wife or if I had kids more so under the age of 18 in my household.

Comment

So someone tell me what "immediate family" means on your lease. To me it's my wife or if I had kids more so under the age of 18 in my household.
                  I agree. There could also be an exception made for grandchildren. But a grown man should pay for his own spot. Or his dad can pay for his extra spot if he wants. That is just my opinion.

Comment

We have very generous guest rules. A leasee can bring spouse, child and their spouse and grandkids regardless of age. Any deer harvested are attributed to the members allotment. Each member is allotted more deer than can be legally harvested in our county by a single hunter. Basically each member is paying for two spots. They can shoot all the deer legally allowed themselves and allow family the rest or they can allow their family to kill all their deer. We only have 4 paying members and we are all very close friends and coworkers. We have ten stands and they are all community. We generally all go to the lease at the same time although any member can go anytime they want.

Comment

Community works well in a situation like that but not always. Too often there are one or two who are slackers and moochers.

Gary

Comment

I work shift work . I dont like community stands because I'll most likely show up to the lease as the others are leaving. If my stand was hunted for 3 or 4 days before I was able to be there I'd be ******..

Comment

I agree with the 2 previous comments. Things work for us because we are close friends mostly hunt together and are like minded.

Comment

The only problem with the community situation on that lease is you are responsible for one feeder well if not everyone on that place doesn’t maintain there feeder are blind then they will come hunt yours . The only way community Works is if everyone pays ahead of time for the feed then a few of you are all of you go out and fill the feeders and maintain the blinds!

Comment

This ^^^^^^^ is what it means on my leases

Comment

Your question really creates a whole new thread. You will receive various responses none of which are right or wrong. It’s just an opinion. Question....Do you have a child over the age of 18 that enjoys bow hunting? Sounds like you may not have any children based on your statement above. Hear me out and think ahead to your future. Here is my situation and my opinion. I have a 22 year old son at Texas A&M that bow hunts with me maybe three times per year. Two of those times during deer season. One time during the off season...I sit with him and he has access to my deer allotment. For those that say......”He should pay for his own spot”......well, there are no spots on the lease available. He hunts three times per year. He doesn’t make $4000 per year for a lease. He goes to school full time and has a small part-time gig. I also have a 19 year old Daughter that likes to bow hunt. She hunts once per year. How many 19 year olds do you know that have thier own spot on a nice ranch? As you can tell, I am on the side of.....immediate Family can hunt with you. I also find it funny when folks have a hard fast rule on the age of 18 years old and they don’t even have kids. Cracks me up a little. Again....their opinion so no right or wrong. I just do not agree with it. To me rules like that keep youngsters from Bow Hunting. Again, just my two cents. I would rather spend time with my kids in a bow blind than by myself. I am fortunate that I hunt on a Family friendly Bow Hunting Ranch and it works out great for all of the members. All the members bring their kids during the season at some point. We enjoy seeing the kids bring in an animal after a hunt. When my children have full-time careers then they can lease wherever they decide. Until then, I will hunt on places where I can take them. I do hope that you find a place that matches your needs.

Comment

Working...
                                X