This is the idiocy we have to deal with on the TP&W commision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
    No, that's an individual's call, not the state's. If you want to use that as a justification, all of Galveston Bay would be off limits to trout fishing...all of it.
    Big difference unless you have a plan to catch & release bow-shot gar.

Originally posted by HUNTNETIME View Post
    I'd be willing to bet that if less large gar were caught/shot and left on the bank to rot, this wouldn't even be a conversation. And don't tell me it doesn't happen. I've seen it with my own two eyes. I think gar are the javelina of the water world in many people's eyes.
    This. Stop the wanton waste display and it wouldn't be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by mudkat View Post
      I don't get where bowfishing is not as sporting as these other styles of fishing, It takes a lot of skill to bowfish!
      We (THEM!) get a lot of flack for not utilizing our take but guess what we are only allowed to shoot the so called trash fish that everyone has determined are not good to eat ( for good reason)
      What is wrong with being allowed to take some fish home to cook up that are good eating ?
      You Being a bowhunter should realize that shooting things with a bow takes skill and is very sporting!
      We're just gonna have to agree to disagree on this one bud.
      Last edited by bossbowman; 02-13-2019, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Is He a Liar or a Liberal?

So bow fishing for alligator gar should be stopped because (even though their numbers are currently in no danger) they might be some day. Sounds like they agree with banning imported polar bear trophies because global warming might cause them to be endangered some day.

Not to mention that it's ok for anglers to catch and release trophy gar even though most gar caught on a line have to swallow the hook and will probably die after release.

Comment

Take a look at the price per pound for gar vs catfish...gar is more than catfish....could the fish mongers be helping out kicking the bowhunters out of the way...?

Comment

The measure of whether or not to ban or regulate the taking of fish and game used to be put to the litmus test of is the resource in decline and is the new regulation necessary at this time to prevent a decline due to factors already in play. That changed a few years ago with the adoption of the 1 fish over 25" for speckled trout, and it has progressed rapidly to other species since then. I'm disappointed in the number of people here who, by their own statements, have never bowfished for gar, yet think it's a good idea to outlaw it for no other reason than they don't do it. The same can be said for those who support keeping catfish off limits to bowfishing. They can't point to anything reasonable to support their position, and catfish certainly aren't overfished. The one person who said that this would lead to bowfishing for redfish and bass is just grasping, because both fish have a considerable fishing lobby who would never allow it. BTW, they do allow bowfishing for saltwater gamefish in Louisiana, and it has had absolutely no impact whatsoever.

Comment

You don't think catfish have a lobby behind them now? Trophy blues by rod and reel in the winter is a big deal now not to mention the increasing catfish trails. There are a number of trophy blue lakes in north texas that now have a slot limit for them.

Comment

This was a very sad and disappointing thread to read thru... So many sportsmen/women so eager to give up their rights and opportunities for the plentiful resources this great state has to offer...
                Not such a happy campfire around here anymore...

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                  You don't think catfish have a lobby behind them now? Trophy blues by rod and reel in the winter is a big deal now not to mention the increasing catfish trails. There are a number of trophy blue lakes in north texas that now have a slot limit for them.
                  You really want to compare that to the bass lobby? Really?

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                    We're just gonna have to agree to disagree on this one bud.
                    Makes no sense to me that you are a bowhunter and are attacking a fellow bow shooter Wow !
                    so bowfishing takes no skill want to go up against me and see how easy it is ?
                    Do you jug line your cats because that takes the least amount of skill to catch cats. and at least 10% get left out cuz they can't find them.we would find them all the time with cats on them we would let go.

Comment

Makes no sense to me that you are a bowhunter and are attacking a fellow bow shooter Wow !
                      so bowfishing takes no skill want to go up against me and see how easy it is ?
                      Do you jug line your cats because that takes the least amount of skill to catch cats. and at least 10% get left out cuz they can't find them.we would find them all the time with cats on them we would let go.
                      You don't think the dude who's coming to check his juglines in the morning might be upset about that? Seems like kind of a **** move.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                        You don't think the dude who's coming to check his juglines in the morning might be upset about that? Seems like kind of a **** move.
                        these were not actively being checked jugs they had been in the water a long time just like the ones we let off of old abandoned trotlines

Comment

We should push for a law that says that TPWD needs to show scientific reasoning before making regulation changes. I think it's safe to say that taking concerns to the commission is pointless. We need to take our concerns to our elected officials.

Comment

hey Gar have been considered trash fish long before bowfishermen went after them ,I heard lots of people say they would shoot them in the head with a pistol when they were on trotlines or break their snout off and let them go to die, news flash most fisherman hate them.
                            There are no trash fish, only trashy fishermen.

The shoot and dump attitude is cancerous among fishermen and it responsible for a lot of the animosity we see towards fishermen now.

As was said in an earlier post, if this wasn't happening we likely wouldn't even be having this conversation

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
                              We should push for a law that says that TPWD needs to show scientific reasoning before making regulation changes. I think it's safe to say that taking concerns to the commission is pointless. We need to take our concerns to our elected officials.
                              They have the research,they are just ignoring it.
                              As long as the commission is made up of political appointtees who answer to no one,this problem will persist. They are catering to the most money.

Comment

I'm an avid outdoor sportsman, and as such I also believe in sustainable conservation practices. I see no problem with the proposed changes to the regulations.

Comment

Working...
                                X