2019 Houston Astros season thread “Take It Back”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by El General View Post
    Fangraphs had a great article on this in regards to guys who make a living with their speed a few years ago. I will have to search around for it.

Straight comps for Springer off the top of my head is hard, but Andruw Jones fits the type (though it isn’t a great comp because Jones is clearly a superior player in every way), but he never had a good season after 30. Andrew McCutchen’s numbers fell off after his age 28 season.

For hitters, history tells us they are most likely to peak at age 27. Springer is 29 and has only had one season without a trip to the DL. He will be 31 when he is a free agent. He is coming off his worst statistical season if his career. I think the Astros might offer him a two year deal, but no more than that, and he will want to max out his payday.
    I hate to say it but i think you are right, Springer has 1 or 2 more good years and then i think he will start declining pretty fast,

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
      Thank God McNairs gone and we have an owner willing to spend some $$$ on actual talent.

Thank God The McNairs are not involved with The Astros organization, lol. I know you meant McClane, but we did have some good years here under McClane when Hunsicker was GM

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
        Trip to dl... u make it sound like hes old and decrepid and has ailments...

He tweaked a thumb....sliding into second... then was ws mvp.

Seriously..just stop.
        He was a stud in 2016 and 2017, and an Uber stud in the World Series.

But, this front office is not going to be much for nostalgia and they aren’t going to bet against the math. The math says don’t buy a bunch of years from an aging center fielder. Springer hasn’t been amenable to an extension before now, so I doubt that he would be interested in the Astros extending him two years. They won’t offer more.

Comment

Marisnick selling "game-worn Altuve jerseys" at an Academy...

Comment

Originally posted by sleepymedic1 View Post
            I hate to say it but i think you are right, Springer has 1 or 2 more good years and then i think he will start declining pretty fast,

1 or 2 more good years is what this team needs from him. To think he is going to become a scrub at his age is ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
              1 or 2 more good years is what this team needs from him. To think he is going to become a scrub at his age is ridiculous.

Of course, nobody has said that.

All I said is that the Astros aren't going to give him a long term deal a year and a half from now.

Comment

Going to the game tonight. Looking forward to seeing Whitley pitch

Comment

Originally posted by zztex View Post
                  Going to the game tonight. Looking forward to seeing Whitley pitch

Sweet! He has been dominating this spring. I hope he continues it tonight!

Comment

So I'm watching bases loaded on 1758 (uverse) but doesn't seem like the game is going to be on?

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                      Marisnick selling "game-worn Altuve jerseys" at an Academy...
                      That’s funny right there

Not so funny is Whitley is getting torched by the bucs in his first start at mmp, good thing they don’t count yet

Comment

Whitley didn’t look too sharp, gave up 3. Great White with a bomb! 7-3 good guys bottom of 4

Comment

Listening on the radio and they were saying Whitley was a little amped up in his start. Understandable, first time pitching in MMP. Sending 10 guys to the plate in the 3rd was nice, big inning!

Comment

Framber got totally lit up. 8-7 Pitt

Comment

Originally posted by zztex View Post
                              Framber got totally lit up. 8-7 Pitt
                              Yeah Im not sure why he was named to the team. They must see something because he has sure stunk it up this Spring. On another note, the Astros are homer happy tonight!

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                                Thank God The McNairs are not involved with The Astros organization, lol. I know you meant McClane, but we did have some good years here under McClane when Hunsicker was GM
                                LOL Oops. My bad. Yes, I meant the McClanes (I always get them mixed up). But I am glad the McNairs aren’t involved either.

Comment

Working...
                                X