No announcement yet.

What makes a good hunter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only thing that makes a good hunter is hunger. There are no good hunters in the US.

Comment

Vanilla

Comment

I drink quite a bit of beer in camp, so yeah I consider myself a good hunter

Comment

Originally posted by bowfishtank401 View Post
          No money does not make a good hunter, that makes a good harvester , hunting and harvesting are very different.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
          Now ya gone off and done it.

Comment

Ldp’s

Comment

Ethical and lawful. The enjoyment is in the sport. Don't get me wrong killing a giant would be awesome. I've had chances and missed and connected on a few. All rank right up there.

Comment

Free range no bait. Understanding animal movement with out a feeder and figuring out how to take a wise buck or old doe on thier own terms. Might rub some the wrong way not intended though.

No doubt this is a true statement but go on a day hunt in December on a place that's been hunted every day since opening day and be successful can be just as tough

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                  I am 65. Dad took me deer hunting when I was 6 so it was back in the 1950's.

When I got to be 10-11 years old he would drop me off in the dark of the morning and tell me "the stand is that way - if you cannot find it and it gets light then sit down next to a tree and hunt". Talk about a young man growing up fast? Get dropped off at dark and walk through the woods by yourself.

He also said "once you are done hunting then hunt your way back to camp". Translation? Still hunt (my guess is that many here have never heard of the term "still hunt") through the woods and find your way back to camp.

He showed me how to still hunt - take 3 steps, stop, and listen for 3 minutes. If you do not see or hear anything then take 3 more slow steps and stop, look, and listen. This is what still hunting is all about. Amazing how many deer you could sneak up on with this method.

I am blessed to hunt on one of the best LF ranches in Texas but I still will crawl out of a stand or blind and try to still hunt a deer. I love it to this day.

I am NOT a great hunter but I have taken my share of nice animals and many of them were done by still hunting. Crawled through the brush to kill this book deer

I prefer still hunting as I get stove-up sitting in stands. If I sit too long I start getting drowsy and fall asleep. The majority of my kills have been the result of still hunting as well.

Comment

All of my friends that have HF places kill way more impressive animals than the rest of you schmucks, so I'd have to say HF hunters are much better than LF hunters. Almost inarguable.

Comment

Originally posted by IbeHuntn View Post
                      Free range no bait. Understanding animal movement with out a feeder and figuring out how to take a wise buck or old doe on thier own terms. Might rub some the wrong way not intended though.

No doubt this is a true statement but go on a day hunt in December on a place that's been hunted every day since opening day and be successful can be just as tough
                      I can see that I guess, was strictly my opinion on what I view as a true outdoorsman. I’m sure not every one feels the same way. I don’t concider myself a great hunter heck I still use corn at some set ups but I would be lying if when the dust settles it is important to me my family and peers viewed me as such.
                      Would also add a passion for wildlife and thier home and 110% confidence in your weapon of choice when it’s time to make the shot

Comment

Pretty good thread, I like some of these answers!

In my opinion a good hunter is that guy/gal who always seems to "get lucky." The only other thing I would say is someone who has the ability to hunt in different situations, different animals and still get it done.

Having time and money sure doesn't hurt. I personally like to hunt in different situations for different things, that makes it really fun. Time and money are what makes those trips for bears, caribou, elk, moose, mule deer happen. At the end of the day though it is just for fun and we shouldn't take ourselves too seriously.

Comment

Working...
                        X