What makes a good hunter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
    I am 65. Dad took me deer hunting when I was 6 so it was back in the 1950's.

When I got to be 10-11 years old he would drop me off in the dark of the morning and tell me "the stand is that way - if you cannot find it and it gets light then sit down next to a tree and hunt". Talk about a young man growing up fast? Get dropped off at dark and walk through the woods by yourself.

He also said "once you are done hunting then hunt your way back to camp". Translation? Still hunt (my guess is that many here have never heard of the term "still hunt") through the woods and find your way back to camp.

He showed me how to still hunt - take 3 steps, stop, and listen for 3 minutes. If you do not see or hear anything then take 3 more slow steps and stop, look, and listen. This is what still hunting is all about. Amazing how many deer you could sneak up on with this method.

I am blessed to hunt on one of the best LF ranches in Texas but I still will crawl out of a stand or blind and try to still hunt a deer. I love it to this day.

I am NOT a great hunter but I have taken my share of nice animals and many of them were done by still hunting. Crawled through the brush to kill this book deer
    I like that story,and I like that buck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Someone that doesn’t need a strangers approval on a forum to think he’s a good hunter. Lol

Comment

I'm not sure I know the answer, but I'd like to become one someday. IMO there is something to learn every time I go into the woods.

Comment

I guess I think more primitive than most: a good hunter to me is one that can put meat on the table that feeds his family.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
            I'm not sure I know the answer, but I'd like to become one someday. IMO there is something to learn every time I go into the woods.
            Well said..

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter View Post
              I guess I think more primitive than most: a good hunter to me is one that can put meat on the table that feeds his family.
              2X

Comment

A bow in your hand.

Comment

A lot of patience and being able to read sign.

Comment

I would rather be lucky than good every day of the week.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn21 View Post
                      A trad. bow in your hand.
                      fix it for ya

Comment

Beer

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                          Apparently being a good storyteller will elevate your status considerably.

I think those that learn to hunt small game successfully with their pellet guns and then .22s and shotguns become really good hunters. Being a dedicated bow hunter will help as well. You have to watch a lot of animals that are out of range and begin to understand their behavior instead of just blasting away with a rifle as soon as a target walks out.

I will say not much about "hunting" in Texas these days resembles how we hunted back in the day. I think there are mostly shooters nowadays and a small percentage of hunters.

Comment

1. Willingness to go (90% right there)
                            2. Planning & Preparation (scouting & practice w/ weapon)
                            3. Being able to hide and conceal oneself
                            4. Ability to sit still, not move and be quiet
                            5. Not giving up
                            6. Ability to use calls/decoys or learn to use them

^^^in no particular order

Comment

Love of the pursuit and respect of the prey.

Comment

Time and Money.

Comment

Working...
                                X