NFL overtime rule rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mertzon Man View Post
    If the team that wins the coin flip scores a touchdown make them go for 2 points, then let the other team get a shot. Makes each team have offense and defense play a series.
    I agree with this, never been a fan of the current system and it has nothing to do with yesterdays games.

Comment

It's better than it used to be- used to all you had to do was kick a field goal if you had first possession to win. Now you have to score a touchdown on first possession, after that a field goal can win it. If you can't stop them from crossing the goal line then maybe you don't deserve a chance...Just saying..

Comment

TBH these days...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mahan View Post
          In my opinion, a change needs to me made in the NFL overtime rule. An overtime win shouldn't be the luck of a coin toss. Both sides should have a possession of the ball. I'm referring to last night's Chiefs and Patriots game and many other games for that matter. Would like to have seen the Chiefs get a chance to answer.

No more than one 10-minute period will follow a three-minute intermission. Each team must possess, or have the opportunity to possess, the ball. The exception: if the team that gets the ball first scores a touchdown on the opening possession."
          I agree with the first part of your post but not the 2nd. So the only change you cited was a shorter period? 10 mins instead of the normal 15? I'm not seeing where this changes anything about the way OT is played except on the clock.

Why even put time on the clock? Each team gets a possession. If still tied, continue playing until one team outscores the other after an equal amount of possessions. The same principle as extra innings in baseball.

Comment

The step up and play defense when it counts is a little comical. Yea, you should always step up and play defense. Maybe better defense would have prevented the OT in the first place.

However, to know that you lost a coin toss so your exhausted defense is your only hope for the win is a bit obsurred. I think it’s pretty common knowledge in all sports that defense is a more debilitating position than offense.

Comment

"No more than one 10-minute period will follow a three-minute intermission. Each team must possess, or have the opportunity to possess, the ball. The exception: if the team that gets the ball first scores"

This was quoted from the NFL rules for post season overtime play.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                The step up and play defense when it counts is a little comical. Yea, you should always step up and play defense. Maybe better defense would have prevented the OT in the first place.

However, to know that you lost a coin toss so your exhausted defense is your only hope for the win is a bit obsurred. I think it’s pretty common knowledge in all sports that defense is a more debilitating position than offense.

It’s not comical at all... and yes... you should have played better defense in the first 4 quarters. All you have to do is stop them for a FG or punt. No TD and you get your chance. You are going to have to stop them eventually or you will lose anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post
                  I agree with the first part of your post but not the 2nd. So the only change you cited was a shorter period? 10 mins instead of the normal 15? I'm not seeing where this changes anything about the way OT is played except on the clock.

Why even put time on the clock? Each team gets a possession. If still tied, continue playing until one team outscores the other after an equal amount of possessions. The same principle as extra innings in baseball.
                  The second part of my post was taken from the NFL rules for post season overtime play.

Comment

Originally posted by drbonner View Post
                    I’m not a saints fan, but they should’ve won in regulation. Refs completely botched that PI call
                    They should have won in regulation, but I think the way that overtime played out shows why this rule is good.

Comment

All four teams new and understood the ot rules before the game, if any team was really worried about it they had the option to win in regulation. Bunch of whiners

Comment

Comment

It needs to be changed but it won't happen. To those who think it's perfectly fine, imagine if KC won the toss. Most people call Brady the best ever, but he never would've even seen the field in overtime if they didn't win the toss. If a team's offense has scored a touchdown on every single offensive play of the season, but they lose the toss, there's a chance they don't get to touch the ball.

That's a flawed system.

Comment

Maybe it should be decided by the hottest cheerleaders

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                              It’s not comical at all... and yes... you should have played better defense in the first 4 quarters. All you have to do is stop them for a FG or punt. No TD and you get your chance. You are going to have to stop them eventually or you will lose anyway.
                              They tried but got flagged for touching Brady

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
                                They tried but got flagged for touching Brady

True true....

Comment

Working...
                                X