No announcement yet.

Stray German Shepard advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, never even thought about wanting one until it fell in my sons lap. Great breed, keep it!

Comment

Mine, was only half G.S and half coon hound....
      But don't touch, the little girl in the red dress.....
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0670.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	24567850

Comment

Originally posted by TXRM1280 View Post
        Best dog I have ever owned. Adopted him from German Shepherd rescue of Houston when he was one. Great temperament with my two kids (both under 5).

Your new pup does look younger. They need lots of exercise and like to be with the family all of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have realized that, he wants to be with/around us at all times already. That’s one reason I’ve decided to take him to the shop with me tomorrow, that along with room to run and human interaction. I’m worried about the energy issue, we will see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by 67olds442 View Post
          Does your dog just stay outside? Good with kids or other pets? Just curious
          Outside but he comes in my sportsbar cabin when I'm around.

Great with kids and animals.....except other male dogs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by cowman View Post
            that is a fine looking dog you have, sir. how much does a dog like that cost?
            1200ish.....and up.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
              Beautiful dogs. I didn't realize how good they can track until 3 weeks ago. I called a local police officer who has one for a pet and found my deer on 2 passes with no blood for the first 100 yards. I was really impressed. Good luck with your new dog.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
              Lol.

Tracking humans is one of their specialties.....by foot steps with no blood. It's one of the IPO/Schutzhund phases.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                He’s a good looking dog. Don’t worry about all the lines and drive BS. He’s not going to be sweeping IED’s in Afghanistan. LOL!
                Dumb.

He asked about the breed. I gave him a detailed answer to his question.

He may however, protect the home and his people, track a deer, protect other animals, heard, get attacked by another dog. Health and longevity.

Lines are very important in this breed. Moreso than any other breed.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                  Dumb.

He asked about the breed. I gave him a detailed answer to his question.

He may however, protect the home and his people, track a deer, protect other animals, heard, get attacked by another dog. Health and longevity.

Lines are very important in this breed. Moreso than any other breed.

My vet buddy told me the same thing, it depends on his blood line. All good info, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleBubba View Post
                    This young German Shepard showed up on our door step with no collar and very hungry/thirsty. Looks like he’s been on his own a while, he’s definitely under weight. I know nothing about this breed minus they are very loyal. He’s good with my boys and other dog. Wife wants to keep him but I’m on the fence, don’t really want another large dog. So, those with German Shepards give me the good, bad, and ugly about them. We have three boys 8, 4, and 16mo.

where abouts are you located?

Comment

Originally posted by UncleBubba View Post
                      My vet buddy told me the same thing, it depends on his blood line. All good info, thanks.
                      You're very welcome, sir.

Comment

Good points made earlier about lines and breeding. There are ALL kinds out there. Do you have company often? You might note how he deals with strangers. You don't want a dog that will tear your Uncle Bob's face off when he comes to visit for Thanksgiving. High-end Shepherds are known for "drive," and pursue virtually anything that moves. If they don't get enough activity, you can come home and find your sofa torn into a thousand pieces. But again, breeding is all over the map. Some Shepherds are so explosive, I wouldn't go within 10 feet of them, while others act like big dumb puppies.

They're also known to be prolific shedders, if dog hair is an issue in your house.

It's sad what the dog show idiots have done to Shepherds (and many other breeds), especially in their rear legs.

Beautiful dog, I hope he works out for you guys!
                        Last edited by Ruark; 01-21-2019, 02:03 PM.

Comment

We have 2. Most loyal pups I’ve ever had. Both are extremely patient with our 15 month old boy as well. Couldn’t ask for a better pair.

Comment

We have one. Best dog we have ever had.If something happened to him we would try to find another just like him.His sole purpose in life (to him) is to please us and protect the home. He is extremely protective of home and us(pack mentality). He minds well and will go lay in his kennel on command and stay there when company comes but if we are not home, don't go in the house or backyard ,the dog will hurt you. If circumstances were different and we had neighborhood kids in and out all of the time I don't think it would go well. They are great dogs but they need to fit your lifestyle, IMO.

Comment

Keep!!

Comment

I have two, both being rescues. They are both great pets and get along with kids perfectly. No behavior problems and just members of the family.

Only real negative is shedding, but alot of breeds do that as well. One is 90# and the other is on the petite side at about 60#.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X