No announcement yet.

Snakes in the yard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you look at that, someone set fire to all of Africa......

Comment

Great Photo!

Comment

Is it just me or does the little bit of white right below it's head on its neck look like someone's initials? Looks like it says GA on it if you zoom in on it.lol

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
          Is it just me or does the little bit of white right below it's head on its neck look like someone's initials? Looks like it says GA on it if you zoom in on it.lol
          It’s an O and an A...see the S to the left. Old Sons Of Anarchy tattoo.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
            It’s an O and an A...see the S to the left. Old Sons Of Anarchy tattoo.
            Oh yeah sure enough is. I'll be dang. Pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
              Just did some Googling - looks like you have a lot of really cool looking non venomous species as well. 72 non venomous and another 50 “slightly venomous” according to this website. Are some of these common to your area? I am a fan of any that are helpful rodent control
              http://www.tyroneping.co.za/common-h...-south-africa/

You are correct,

We have a bunch of species that is non or semi venomous as well.

I have often little slug eaters in the garden beds.

They are non venomous and feed on slugs and snails.

Then also have found a spotted or striped grass snakes that is semi venomous and helps a lot with controlling rodents in the yard.

(Not my photo)

Probably a few other species I have not yet seen, they are tolerated.

Rinkhals and Puffadder will be dispatched on site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
                Nice photo, nice dispatch. Just curious, distance from subject on photo?

This is not my photo, used it to show how the snake stands up and opens its hood and what I saw among the flowers.

Comment

Man, the one snake that scares the crap outta me is the Black Mamba.. if read about them from Capstick and heard about them from a fella that used to live there. He told me if I was ever being chased by one to run in the sand, not the grass as they will catch you!

Comment

No

Comment

Originally posted by haas0311 View Post
                      Man, the one snake that scares the crap outta me is the Black Mamba.. if read about them from Capstick and heard about them from a fella that used to live there. He told me if I was ever being chased by one to run in the sand, not the grass as they will catch you!

Sorry but the guy who told you about a snake chasing you is full of stories that the old people used to tell to scare the kids.

Snakes does not have the lung capacity to chase you, or you would have had plenty of rattlers chasing people around Texas as well [emoji16]

Mamba especially black mamba is very dangerous because of the potent neurotoxic venom but also because its a very nervous snake and will strike like lightning when it feels threatened...

Comment

Pretty cool sir, are your venomous snakes pit vipers? thats the way we tell poisonous snakes over here. looks like you need a encyclopedia to identify all of the species there.

Comment

Originally posted by tminc View Post
                          Pretty cool sir, are your venomous snakes pit vipers? thats the way we tell poisonous snakes over here. looks like you need a encyclopedia to identify all of the species there.
                          I am no snake expert.

As far as I know, the snakes we call adders like the puff adder and the gaboon adder also form part of the viper family.

I am not sure if they are pit vipers referring to the sensors below the eye.

Comment

Originally posted by tminc View Post
                            They have both Elapids and Pit Vipers over there. The cobra isn't a pit viper. They're in the same family as sea craits and coral snakes.

Comment

That's a Nope Rope if I ever saw one.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerhard View Post
                                I followed this video on YouTube

The biggest challenge was to find a 41 Magnum die set in South Africa

Dangit, now I've got to go get a set of 41 mag dies.

I wonder if there is a similar process for 44 special/mag? I usually carry a 44 on my hip when in the woods, better pig medicine than a 45. I have made a bunch of shotshells using the blue shot capsules, but this looks like you could get a bunch more shot in there.

Comment

Working...
                                X