2019 Saltwater Fishing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
    I'm in a RFL did you forget Any chop over 10 mph and I'm replacing my dentures... and I don't like lighting!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    You fish the deepest and largest bay in the area in the roughest riding boat possible. If you can't fish in anything over 10 mph you need to seriously reconsider your choice of boats or bays.

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
      You fish the deepest and largest bay in the area in the roughest riding boat possible. If you can't fish in anything over 10 mph you need to seriously reconsider your choice of boats or bays.
      Dude I'm jacking with you... I've been down there recently with a couple of members here in 25 mph plus winds... we used a sail to get back in.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
        Dude I'm jacking with you... I've been down there recently with a couple of members here in 25 mph plus winds... we used a sail to get back in.

[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Actually this weekend looks doable, have to look at my schedule.

Comment

I was jacking with you too. There are a ton of places you can go fish and get out of the wind in that boat if you choose to.

I was drifting the middle of the bay on those 25 mph days. And catching fish.

Comment

I’ll be out this weekend. The Tran likes rough water, and them fish are already wet. Got my work fishing tournament coming up and I gotta win that thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
                I was jacking with you too. There are a ton of places you can go fish and get out of the wind in that boat if you choose to.

I was drifting the middle of the bay on those 25 mph days. And catching fish.
                That's why you're a guide and I'm not

Yup there are... I fish e'm sometimes too.

Comment

We had a blast the past couple days. Explored new waters with a buddy and put some fish in the box.

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
                    We had a blast the past couple days. Explored new waters with a buddy and put some fish in the box.

Nice Michael!

Comment

Originally posted by CaseyB View Post
                      [ATTACH]959150[/ATTACH]

Got into some good snapper yesterday.
                      How far y’all go out

Comment

Ok guys need opinions on my theory. I have the boat itch bad, but I don’t have a lot of experience in the area. Thinking an aluminum center console will be a good choice for the bays and lakes. Not looking to run 60mph and figure aluminum will be more forgiving for the bumps and bruises that will come with the boating learning curve. Shallow draft and light weight a plus as well along with a lower price point.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
                          Ok guys need opinions on my theory. I have the boat itch bad, but I don’t have a lot of experience in the area. Thinking an aluminum center console will be a good choice for the bays and lakes. Not looking to run 60mph and figure aluminum will be more forgiving for the bumps and bruises that will come with the boating learning curve. Shallow draft and light weight a plus as well along with a lower price point.

Aluminum is a good choice. It will indeed be a better choice if you're going into standing timber and such where you are likely to hit stumps and such... If shallow draft is important, something like an Aluma-craft with a tunnel hull is a good choice (all welded). There are several brands that would serve you well. You'll be at a disadvantage in the bay if the water gets rough... You'll be safe to run, but just a bit of a rough ride...

Comment

It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish and what your budget is. If you pick up just any old aluminum boat you will likely need to go on and start searching for a good chiropractor. Yeah, it'll technically get you out fishing. But you'll hate it when you need to cross a bay on a rough day. Now bigger aluminum boats can be ok but by bigger I am talking generally 22' and up. A little 16' center console aluminum boat will get you into some fishing if you are willing to pick your days. Problem is most folks need to fish when they can go not wait around for the perfect day to go.

Aluminum isn't inherently good or bad. A ton of it has to do with size, weight and hull design. Same with fiberglass.

Book a few trips with some different guides who run different styles of boats and fish some different boats and then you can make an informed decision. Bum a trip on a smaller center console aluminum boat too. You'll figure out what you want and what fits your needs.

Comment

Don't think I'll ever own another non-aluminum boat, pretty much sold forever on aluminum. I'd buy something cheap to gain experience and preference and plan to upgrade in a year. Also I'm shocked at the prices of some of the big mass produced aluminum boats nowdays, if you find one you like shop around and see what you can find in similar price ranges, might be surprised how much boat you can buy.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X