New LED Headlights on my truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New LED Headlights on my truck

Just the bulbs were replaced and holy crap, what a difference! Took me about 15-20 mins per side. Super easy. Just throwing this out there is someone was looking at doing it. Lots of youtube vids that helps ya out in the install. First pic is with stock halogen and second is obviously with LEDs. Truck is a 2018 F150 XLT.
    Attached Files

Did you happen to take comparison photos on High Beam?
    I was thinking about doing this along with the reverse lights on my wife's Xterra. Her windows are so dark at night you cannot see to back up.

Comment

No sir but the low beams were enough for me (pic wise). The high beams I have now are just ridiculous! You can see from Conroe to North Dakota with these things!

Comment

cant wait to be blinded

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
          cant wait to be blinded
          ^^^^^^ I know right.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
            cant wait to be blinded
            Originally posted by eaglegolfj View Post
            ^^^^^^ I know right.
            Already thought of that smartarses. Made my wife drive my truck while I drove hers and when passing each other they weren’t bad at all. The angle of the beam didn’t change so....

Comment

Originally posted by BowOnly81 View Post
              Already thought of that smartarses. Made my wife drive my truck while I drove hers and when passing each other they weren’t bad at all. The angle of the beam didn’t change so....
              What kind of vehicle does your wife have? I get people flashing lights at me all of the time with my leveled platinum and factory HIDs.

Comment

Please god tell me you did not put those into halogen housings.

Comment

Is it just a bulb change? My stock lights suck on my truck. Mine isn’t leveled or anything so I don’t think it would blind anyone. I was thinking about mounting a light bar on my replacement bumper, but this would be a lot easier

Comment

Don't you have to install a capacitor or something like that? Every time I've looked at swapping, it's a whole production that included cutting wires, mounting heat sync's, and some other crap to make it work. Also, my headlights require grill removal to replace, which is a pain with a ranchhand.

Originally posted by Lawhunter View Post
                    What kind of vehicle does your wife have? I get people flashing lights at me all of the time with my leveled platinum and factory HIDs.
                    Aim your headlights and people will stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawhunter View Post
                      Most people that level their trucks don’t adjust their headlights downward to account for the lift. Is this true for your situation? Maybe why you’re getting flashed. My truck isn’t leveled. And she drives an expedition.

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                      Please god tell me you did not put those into halogen housings.
                      Yes I did. Why is that a problem? Serious question.

Comment

Originally posted by fbchunter View Post
                        Is it just a bulb change?
                        Do you hate everyone else on the road? Then yes. Otherwise, no.

Comment

Originally posted by fbchunter View Post
                          Is it just a bulb change? My stock lights suck on my truck. Mine isn’t leveled or anything so I don’t think it would blind anyone. I was thinking about mounting a light bar on my replacement bumper, but this would be a lot easier
                          Yes sir. Just a bulb change....basically.

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                          Don't you have to install a capacitor or something like that?
                          This kit comes with the new bulb and the little ballast that’s needed for the led lights. Small enough to fit in the area behind the stock housing. No problem.

Comment

It was one thing that was on my must-have list when I bought my '16 Silverado. Everything is LED, I couldn't go back. Not to mention I'm not replacing bulbs what feels like all the time. I do remember that there are things to be aware of if not changing housings but can't remember what it was. I considered retrofitting my '08, but opted not to. '16 I bought with factory LEDs.

Comment

Originally posted by BowOnly81 View Post
                              Yes I did. Why is that a problem? Serious question.
                              It's not simply a matter of adjusting the beam. Read this: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...ectors.454371/

It is unsafe and illegal to put the wrong kind of light source into a headlamp, and here is why: Headlight beams are not simple spots or floods, they are actually very complex, with intricate requirements for a variety of minimum and maximum intensities at a long list of angular points within the beam. The whole optical system (light source, reflector/s, lens/es, bulb shield) works as a system to produce beams that meet the requirements. Each headlamp is designed, engineered, tested, and certified/approved to give acceptable safety performance with one specific kind of light source -- a halogen bulb, an HID bulb, or an array of LEDs.

Putting a different kind of light source into the headlamp, other than the kind it was designed for, ruins the headlamp's safety performance.
                              The wrong amounts of light are sent in the wrong directions. Some areas have not enough light, other areas have too much light, and the result is very unsafe, each and every time. And this is true even if you think you can see OK with your LED-modded headlamps.

You really need to get the "LED bulbs" out of your headlamps and put the correct bulbs back in; even if you manage to luck out and not get ticketed, and even if you are OK with risking your own injury, death, and property damage, your modified headlamps create an elevated risk of injury, death, and property damage for everyone you share the roads with, and that's not acceptable.

You really need to get the "LED bulbs" out of your headlamps and put the correct bulbs back in (or, depending on what kind of headlamps they are, there may be legitimate/safe upgrade bulbs, but in any case they will always only ever be of the same basic type, i.e., halogen, that the lamp was designed for.)

Above stolen from: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-bulbs-illegal

Comment

Working...
                              X