Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

New LED Headlights on my truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by texaspacker View Post
    There are 95 running lights on a new Ford PU and the factory head light are all ready too bright. I can tell it's a new Ford POS PU coming up from the rear at night from 40 miles away. Looks like some kind of UFO.
    GREAT!
    You can see but nobody else can.
    Fantastic.
    I noticed that too. Always think man I'm meeting a POS Ford with a bunch of lights on it. Nope! Just a POS GMC.

Comment

Originally posted by BowOnly81 View Post
      Just the bulbs were replaced and holy crap, what a difference!
      So where is all of this new light going? Dont you think there is a difference for other cars on the road too?

Put me in the cant wait to let you pass me, so I can tail gate you with my brights on crowd

Comment

Originally posted by batmaninja View Post
        So where is all of this new light going? Dont you think there is a difference for other cars on the road too?

Put me in the cant wait to let you pass me, so I can tail gate you with my brights on crowd
        If you tailgate with brights, his tailgate is going to block your headlights, making your method ineffective. Better off to back up a bit LOL

OP I am only messing around, if you drove into your headlights with your wife's car, and you think it's not too bright, then good to go. At least you are conscientious enough to check. Most people don't seem to be.

Comment

What a bunch of crying tit bags. Que the old man on lawn shaking his fist cartoon.

Comment

found a good spot for this today...

Click image for larger version

Name:	dq.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	24564043

Comment

LED lights are the devil!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                So answer my question. LEDs are not designed for projectors. What are they designed for?

The LEDs I bought nearly perfectly mimic the factory beam pattern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                LEDs are designed for projector housings. They are NOT designed for reflector housings.
                There is a reason some new cars and trucks are coming stock with projectors...you guessed it..so they can run LED lights safely!
                Granted, if you spend the right money and buy LED bulbs designed to go into reflector housings, then maybe it is okay. But the cheap bulbs off ebay that are just designed to throw light everywhere are going to make it hell for other drivers to see.
                Last edited by KyleW; 12-18-2018, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KyleW View Post
                  LEDs are designed for projector housings. They are NOT designed for reflector housings.

There is a reason some new cars and trucks are coming stock with projectors...you guessed it..so they can run LED lights safely!

Generally speaking this is incorrect. The lamps I purchased as well as most others I looked at specifically state they are NOT designed for projectors housings.

I only know of one that has come on the market recently that states they CAN be used in projectors but that they will not perform as well as halogen or HID lamps depending on which one the housing is rated for.

Comment

[quote=speck1;13866221]
                    Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                    You get "sick of people thinking your hi beams are on"? LOL. Maybe, just maybe.........your LEVELED F150 front end was RAISED 1.5-2.5 inches and now your low-beams are shining like hi-beams onto oncoming and vehicles right in front of you! If it's happening often enough to make you sick, do something about it.

Sheesh guys, are some of you really that dense?[/QUOTE

Wow. You solved the mystery! Or maybe it’s the fact that the ones getting blinded are always in a Prius or VW. The first thing we checked was the light level. It’s factory spec. Do you drive a truck with HID headlights?
                    The car has nothing to do with it, be it a prius or a peterbuilt. You "leveled" the truck which rose the front end significantly. It's akin to adjusting your bowsite 1 mm up or down to correct the 1" height difference at a target 20 yards away. If you adjusted hour ride height 2", your headlight beam is going to raise 2' at 100' . You already stated you didn't know if they were adjustable and I can't see how they are still "in spec". I'm not trying to be the headlight police, but if you know there is an issue, fix it.

Comment

New LED Headlights on my truck

[quote=speck1;13866221]
                      Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                      You get "sick of people thinking your hi beams are on"? LOL. Maybe, just maybe.........your LEVELED F150 front end was RAISED 1.5-2.5 inches and now your low-beams are shining like hi-beams onto oncoming and vehicles right in front of you! If it's happening often enough to make you sick, do something about it.

Sheesh guys, are some of you really that dense?[/QUOTE

Wow. You solved the mystery! Or maybe it’s the fact that the ones getting blinded are always in a Prius or VW. The first thing we checked was the light level. It’s factory spec. Do you drive a truck with HID headlights?

I don’t think your truck has factory HIDs. They are likely LEDs. Do they come on instantly or does it take 10-15 seconds to get to full brightness when they come on?

I don’t know if many if any manufacturers putting in HIDs in lieu of LEDs anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by KyleW View Post
                        Wow some of you are have no idea what you are talking about.
                        This has NOTHING to do with aiming your headlights. It has nothing to do with how high or low the beam is. It has everything to do with how much the light scatters.
                        There is a ton of information online about this. Your stock housings are designed to work with the halogen bulbs to project the light into a specific pattern which gives you distance. Once you put LEDs in there, the light is too bright and the light reflects differently which gives you the scatter that makes it look brighter. You will in turn lose the distance of your headlights but instead gain great visibility up close, while blinding everybody else on the road with the scatter of the bulbs.
                        Please, before you say “just adjust your headlights”, I suggest you do a little research on the topic.
                        ^^ This is the correct answer.

Comment

It appears neither of you paid attention to the pictures I posted above of the beam pattern of halogen vs LED in RAM reflector housings.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                            It appears neither of you paid attention to the pictures I posted above of the beam pattern of halogen vs LED in RAM reflector housings.
                            This class has required reading. Did you do it?

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                              ^^ This is the correct answer.
                              Apples and oranges
                              LED scatters differently causing more light to be directed onto oncoming drivers. Even the picture above shows wider main beam with higher intensity at the angle of an oncoming driver. Which is what is concerning about OP lights.

The other side is aiming due to lifted or leveled vehicles. If you aim your stock headlights up, more light hits oncoming drivers. This is not the OP issue, but I would bet it's the top issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X