AR counties can sure suck sometimes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glen View Post
    I agree it is not a perfect system. I just laugh at the guys that say its done for money for he state. I also laugh at the guys that act like a Game Warden has a magic wand and can allow someone to violate the law because they fell like it is the right thing to do. They are not hired to write the laws they are there for enforcement. they are not there to enforce them on just the people they think did it on purpose and let the ones go that did it for the right reason. I find it humorous that someone would think it works in this manner.
    No it isn't perfect and it has helped to raise the population of mature bucks, but.

The 13" rule isn't about the spread of the deer. It was implemented to allow 2-3 year old bucks a better chance to reach maturity. It has done that. If there is a buck that is no doubt mature(pictured above) there should be some common sense in the matter. Taking a mature buck should not be illegal just because his antlers are 12 1/2". Some things just make no sense.

Comment

Luckily for us, here in Cass Co, the game wardens are a little lenient; as long as you call them. They understand that it's hard to judge 13" from a distance. If you call them with a 12 1/2" or 12 3/4" spread, they'll probably okay it; but if they catch you driving home with it, you're probably getting a ticket. On another note though, it's helped our deer herd out a lot. Me and 2 friends hunt a small 369 acre lease, and this year I shot a 9 pt buck with a 17 1/4" spread. I understand that isn't big to some folks, but it's easily the biggest buck I've ever harvested.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelladog View Post
        Got couple pics of this old bruiser last year in northwest austin. Some will just never make AR. ,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        No doubt a trophy animal. Very old, yet not legal=no common sense.

Comment

Originally posted by FireMedic26 View Post
          Luckily for us, here in Cass Co, the game wardens are a little lenient; as long as you call them. They understand that it's hard to judge 13" from a distance. If you call them with a 12 1/2" or 12 3/4" spread, they'll probably okay it; but if they catch you driving home with it, you're probably getting a ticket. On another note though, it's helped our deer herd out a lot. Me and 2 friends hunt a small 369 acre lease, and this year I shot a 9 pt buck with a 17 1/4" spread. I understand that isn't big to some folks, but it's easily the biggest buck I've ever harvested.
          This more like it.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
            I watched this one all season and it looked too close to call even though it appears to be a 3+ yr old deer. I think the neighboring property killed it though.

Sorry about the quality of the cell phone pictures.
            Here are 4 basic views of him.

That deer is 14-15” all day long

Comment

Originally posted by Yelladog View Post
              Got couple pics of this old bruiser last year in northwest austin. Some will just never make AR. ,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              The problem is that many will never make 3.5 without AR's....
              AR's are the best thing to happen for deer and deer hunting for the state of Texas in a very long time... Possibly ever.. I wish all counties had AR's..

Comment

No comment

Comment

If he’s less than 13”, I’ll pitch in $50 too

Comment

Originally posted by FireMedic26 View Post

Are you saying the Wardens in Cass County will give you the green light to shoot an illegal deer if you ask them first? Or if you turn yourself in for shooting one they will let it slide?

Comment

I know the feeling very well. I have old “Tall and Narrow” hanging around for several years now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo47 View Post
                        Everyone who says he will make it, send them a PM and ask if they'll help you with the fine if you shoot it!......Crickets, and the season will be over!
                        Wrong. Id send him money. Problem is the GW might take the whole deer.
                        Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                        12.5", but I wouldn't care. He is mature and that is the reason for the ARs, not to let sub 13" bucks get old. GWs know this and use it to fine hunters, which isn't right in the first place. Your other option is to go MLD, then 13" is irrelevant.

Maybe a couple of GS GWs will chime in....awww never mind, what was I thinking?
                        Right on.

As mentioned its not a money grab. And those that think there is no way GW wont give a pass on a deer like that are clueless. Not saying they all will but its possible.

Its no different than gettin stopped on the freeway for 75 in a 65 and not getting a ticket. Just the other day a warden on lone star law wrote a warning for an under 13 deer

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Folks have to understand that the rules we have now are better for herd health and buck quality than what we had before; and that TPWD can’t expect the average hunter in Texas to correctly age a deer through their scope. TPWD needed to put a regulation in place that at least partially corresponded to age in order to protect our youngest bucks. Spread is/was the best they could do. What if the law read 8 points or better? Every promising 2-year-old would be shot.... The vast majority of 4+ year-old bucks will have a spread greater than 13 inches. Old, skinny bucks are an unfortunate, rare exception.

What, if any, regulations do those opposed to AR suggest?

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
                            Are you saying the Wardens in Cass County will give you the green light to shoot an illegal deer if you ask them first? Or if you turn yourself in for shooting one they will let it slide?
                            If you call them to let them know you've made a mistake. I haven't done it, but know people personally who have. They're hunters too, and realize that it's hard to judge 13" at 200 yards (if you're gun hunting). If it's 11”, you're not getting out of it, but I have friends who they've let slide; that shot a 3 1/2 year old deer with a 12 3/4” spread.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                              The problem is that many will never make 3.5 without AR's....
                              AR's are the best thing to happen for deer and deer hunting for the state of Texas in a very long time... Possibly ever.. I wish all counties had AR's..
                              Hey! We dont need that mess in Blanco county, dont be wishing that on us

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                                Hey! We dont need that mess in Blanco county, dont be wishing that on us

I’m with you. Would be horrible in Sutton county too.

Comment

Working...
                                X