Red Wolf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cwbow View Post
    Also bloodline on Galveston island. Check it out. Good read.
    This just out today about the red wolf hybrids on the island.

Comment

So, Red Wolf DNA confirmed. At least it makes it interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
        Fossil Rim Wildlife Center in Glenrose Texas has an excellent program. And those folks do wonders as well.

Here's one more link to what they are trying to do for the Red Wolf population with Red Wolves at Fossil Rim. I've known about it for a very long time.
        "Fossil Rim has been a breeding facility for the Red Wolf SSP since 1989 and has produced 31 pups as of 2018. These wolves are housed in the Intensive Management Area and can be viewed on the Behind-the-Scenes Tour."

And here's a little info on the Mexican Gray wolf they are doing there.

https://fossilrim.org/animals/mexican-gray-wolf/
        Yessir! The Fort Worth Zoo has a breeding pair as well.

Comment

Wonder if this is going to affect coyote hunting regs in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
            Wonder if this is going to affect coyote hunting regs in the near future.
            No..

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
              Elizabeth Warren is an indian afterall.
              Now that's funny right there!

Comment

Advances in DNA analysis showed the red wolf to have no "unique ancestry" that would demonstrate a long divergent North American lineage. Rather, it's a hybrid between gray wolf and coyote. DNA proven as of 2016 by geneticist, Robery Wayne. Google it.

Think of it kinda like a Laberdoodle. A Laberdoodle is real, I can show you lots of pictures, but it doesn't make it a unique species.

This is important, because it deals with the Endangered Species Act, which does not protect hybrids. As a result of this finding, environmental groups are now pursuing avenues to include hybrids.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                  Advances in DNA analysis showed the red wolf to have no "unique ancestry" that would demonstrate a long divergent North American lineage. Rather, it's a hybrid between gray wolf and coyote. DNA proven as of 2016 by geneticist, Robery Wayne. Google it.

Think of it kinda like a Laberdoodle. A Laberdoodle is real, I can show you lots of pictures, but it doesn't make it a unique species.

This is important, because it deals with the Endangered Species Act, which does not protect hybrids. As a result of this finding, environmental groups are now pursuing avenues to include hybrids.
                  You hybridization guys crack me up. For a species to look/appear consistently unique, as the Red wolf species does, then the % of both species breeding, on both sides, would have to be constant and consistent..
                  The Red Wolf was/is a specific species as was/is the Gray Wolf.. Cross breeding does occur in all canine species but appearance will vary from litter to litter and dog to dog..

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                    You hybridization guys crack me up. For a species to look/appear consistently unique, as the Red wolf species does, then the % of both species breeding, on both sides, would have to be constant and consistent..
                    The Red Wolf was/is a specific species as was/is the Gray Wolf.. Cross breeding does occur in all canine species but appearance will vary from litter to litter and dog to dog..
                    I'm not a "hybridization guy". I'm a science guy. If the science determined it to be a unique species, then I'd call it a unique species. That's what it was officially recognized as until 2016.

Nice thing about the science is, it removes subjective biases, such as judgment based on appearance in a photo, or assumptions about how species breed in the wild. DNA has far surpassed physiological delineation (appearance) when it comes to identification.

According to the latest, greatest science available, the red wolf is nothing but a hybrid. I'm not hating on ya man, or Facebooking ya. It's just a proven fact. I wish it were its own species, it'd be cool. But it ain't.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                      I'm not a "hybridization guy". I'm a science guy. If the science determined it to be a unique species, then I'd call it a unique species. That's what it was officially recognized as until 2016.

Nice thing about the science is, it removes subjective biases, such as judgment based on appearance in a photo, or assumptions about how species breed in the wild. DNA has far surpassed physiological delineation (appearance) when it comes to identification.

According to the latest, greatest science available, the red wolf is nothing but a hybrid. I'm not hating on ya man, or Facebooking ya. It's just a proven fact. I wish it were its own species, it'd be cool. But it ain't.
                      Do you remember when "science" said that mule deer and whitetail COULD NOT cross breed? I do..
                      Do you remember when "science" said the Grizzly and Polar bear COULD NOT cross breed? I do..
                      Forgive me if I'm a little skeptical when science and animals are involved..

Comment

Do you remember when "science" said that mule deer and whitetail COULD NOT cross breed? I do..
                        Do you remember when "science" said the Grizzly and Polar bear COULD NOT cross breed? I do..
                        Yeah, wild animals are uncooperative rascals.

Comment

You’re kind of proving his point

Comment

Here's an article that gets a little deeper into the genetics.

Red wolves, once nearly extinct, again teeter on the abyss. New research finds red wolf ancestry on Galveston Island — providing opportunities for additional conservation action and difficult policy challenges.

Comment

Originally posted by lawhunter View Post
                              you’re kind of proving his point
                              nah

Comment

nah
                                Ya.

Remember when science said red wolves were their own species?

Comment

Working...
                                X