No announcement yet.

Mississippi hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mississippi is starting to produce some good deer. Check this buck out. Killed in leflore county about a week and half ago. Scored 217.
    Attached Files

Comment

Killed my first deer in MS. Pretty decent herds and the genetics can be good depending on your area. We were in Hazlehurst, MS

Comment

Originally posted by Pullersboy View Post
        Never hunted that area. But, I can say the northern part of the state has awesome hunting. Big deer with heavy antlers. My mom's side of the family is from Houston, Ms. which is about half way between Tupelo & Starkville. All of my deer hunting growing up and into my adulthood was done there. I grew up here, but never deer hunted in TX until I was in my early 30's.
        I grew up in Grenada, MS and lived there till about 24yrs old before moving to TX. Family all still there. My Dad’s side of the family is all from Houston, MS.

Grenada County and surrounding Delta area (Leflore, etc) have some giant deer around and lots of ppl manage for big deer. Also a lot of hogs around too. Duck hunting can be awesome. I know further south around Natchez, Jackson,etc have some big deer too and they are wide open around Christmas. Good luck, it’s a ton of fun hunting back home in The Sip!!

Comment

Originally posted by mdnabors View Post
          I grew up in Grenada, MS and lived there till about 24yrs old before moving to TX. Family all still there. My Dad’s side of the family is all from Houston, MS.

Grenada County and surrounding Delta area (Leflore, etc) have some giant deer around and lots of ppl manage for big deer. Also a lot of hogs around too. Duck hunting can be awesome. I know further south around Natchez, Jackson,etc have some big deer too and they are wide open around Christmas. Good luck, it’s a ton of fun hunting back home in The Sip!!
          PM inbound...

Comment

Originally posted by Pony1971 View Post
            Just pulled back into my driveway, from hunting about an hour north of Vicksburg. Place is bordered by the Mississippi River. So basically 2 hours north of where you could hunt. Food plots seem to be the game in the afternoons. Seems crazy but the hard frost in the mornings seem to kill deer activity where I was hunting. I have hunted with a vendor there for about 10 years and really the afternoons always seem to be when the deer are killed.

Some good deer antler-wise. But more impressive seems to be the body size of some of the delta bucks.

Here is the deer I took yesterday afternoon. I had a short hunt with a vendor of mine and the guide told me to shot the first mature buck that gave me an opportunity. So I did. Basic 8, 17 1/2" wide. Lacked mass, score will not be much in inches. The buck weighed 218 lbs. Ruger American 6.5 CM about flipped hit over on a hard quartering to shot in front of the left shoulder. He ran about 65 yards and piled up about 30 yards off the plot. The ranch foreman had him at 5 1/2.

OTC tags, pretty cheap for a few days of hunting and hanging out. I go every time I get a chance.

As an added bonus we sometimes throw together morning duck hunts if the deer movement is slow.

Did you try to post a pic? Not showing up if you did.

Hes supposed to call me in the morning to discuss. Itll be after the first of the year.....he sent me some pics....if we can make it happen, im going

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Late season is good too. Peak rut will be over, but to be honest, we have so many deer and buck/doe ratios can be seriously skewed, a lot of years rut comes and goes without ever seeing a lot of rut activity. We kill our biggest bucks around the 15th of January. They usually aren’t chasing or trailing then, just cruising looking for does coming in on the second cycle.

Comment

I grew up in south Mississippi and have a place 2 hours due east of Natchez. Over the years have hunted a lot of different places all over the state, including all around Natchez.

You really don't want to turn down a chance to hunt that property. You could get into some seriously good hunting, and Natchez has a unique personality that's all it's own.

Don't even question it, just go.

Comment

Ive got family land to hunt for free near Starkville. I should capitalize on the opportunity. Apparently baiting from a feeder is allowed and no minimum hunting distance required. Feeder has to be 100 yards from adjacent property line. Piling corn is a no no.

Good luck on your hunt Sambo.

Comment

Place is about half way between Woodville, MS and Natchez, MS.

Dolorosa, Ms?

Comment

Grew up there. Natchez has beautiful scenery and abundant deer. It’s also a beautiful town with a lot of history. Highly recommend hunting there.

Comment

He has a 400ac place and a 1250ac and a place to stay. Gonna try to put a hunt together in January. Not sure i will hunt, but definately gonna let my kids hunt.

Comment

Doloroso, Ms is where its at....

Comment

Used to own and hunt land that ran into the MS river in Natchez just south of the paper mill and bordered St. Catherine's Reserve. Lots of deer and the ducks were abundant when the water was up. But that was the problem......when the river got high we couldn't get to the land and most of it would flood so we sold it and bought more acreage in Louisiana. Good luck on your hunt! The big boys should be starting to dog some does over there.

Comment

Looks like some big bodied deer. Not sure the 223 n 22-250 will be enough.....unless i swap ammo. Thinking about the Barnes TSX in both.

Comment

Originally posted by sambo73 View Post
                                Place is about half way between Woodville, MS and Natchez, MS.

Dolorosa, Ms?

There’s some big deer in them there hills in that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X