Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

$53K fine levied for the 278" Texas buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Jcjohnson;13851613]
    It took 0 skill to harvest this buck. A buck of that caliber and age to be taken legally would have taken tremendous skill. /QUOTE]

This isn't true at all. He still hunted the deer, he just hunted it on property where he shouldn't have been.

Killing this deer took far more skill than tons of legally killed rifle deer every year.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
      Well trespassing with a gun is felony trespass, I would think a bow & arrow would not apply though,
      I don't see a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
        Do they have a means to collect it or is it just another worthless judgement the state will never collect? Not buying a license for 2 years doesn't stop anybody from hunting. If they'll shoot a deer at night he's probably sitting in a stand somewhere right now reading this thread laughing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My understanding of it is he can't buy a license until the restitution is paid.

Comment

Has the offender ever offered an apology to TBH?

Comment

[quote=adam_p;13851666]
            Originally posted by Jcjohnson View Post
            It took 0 skill to harvest this buck. A buck of that caliber and age to be taken legally would have taken tremendous skill. /QUOTE]

This isn't true at all. He still hunted the deer, he just hunted it on property where he shouldn't have been.

Killing this deer took far more skill than tons of legally killed rifle deer every year.
            Hunting an injured deer at night does not take skill and from the first shot it looked like he injured it with a terrible archery shot. How did he end up making the lethal shot was it with archery equipment? I’m sure this buck lived there because no one was hiunting this place. Or suppose to be anyways. That makes a huge difference also
            Last edited by Jcjohnson; 12-11-2018, 11:54 AM.

Comment

I won’t pretend that I’m not biased. Travis is a personal friend, and one of the people that pointed me to the Bible when nobody else in my life would. That in and of itself puts me in debt to him, in my eyes. Whether or not anyone agrees is a matter of their opinion. I won’t condemn anyone else for having their own version of what should have happened.

That being said, there are people here and other places saying that anyone who associates with Travis is immediately discredited by association. I don’t understand the logic behind that for a couple reasons:

1) Some of Travis’ closest friends were more hurt by his actions than anyone else on this forum.
              2) There was not a single other decision maker in that event other than Travis
              3) The decision to continue to associate with him and attempt to FIRMLY point him in a better direction is more difficult than just tossing him aside. You can keep your convictions when dealing with those that aren’t on the same path. Anyone who simply can’t do that is either using association as an excuse for their already warped moral compass or they have no willpower.
              4) Travis wasn’t the only person involved in the aftermath. There is a wife and 4 kids dealing with this as well. Take T out of it for a second and think about the family and how you would like kids to view the world.
              5) Travis is paying for his decision. He acted like an idiot, but after taking a bit to wise up, he decided to take it on the chin. In my opinion, the punishment was deserved. I’ve told him this personally, and guess what we are still friends.

At this point, he has to suffer the consequences. I am fine with that. I am also fine with saying that I’ll do what I can to help him along the way. I see it this way: Saul of Tarsus killed a whole lot of Christians before conversion, but it was his decision to correct course that led him to a better life. I don’t see why someone that killed a deer illegally can’t decide to correct course as well.

I’m fine with people disagreeing with me, it just seemed like the thread was lacking people on my side of the fence. I can’t blame others for not jumping in, but I wanted to offer a different perspective for anyone reading that would genuinely like to know more.

Comment

Originally posted by J.B. View Post

For what? Wearing theyre gear in the pic?

Comment

Whats the story of the active felon TBH hunter? Must have missed that one.

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
                    For what? Wearing theyre gear in the pic?

Ahhhhh YA! Better question, why wouldn't he?

Comment

Tried to steer clear but why would he owe you an apology? I have done plenty of dumb S and typically only apologize to the people it directly affected.

Comment

No. This has been brought up before too. I don't know the guy and don't condone what he did. But I honestly don't blame him for not getting on here and apologizing. It's an internet forum and not close friends or family that he has to interact with or see on a daily basis..mostly strangers that he's never met. And if he tried to apologize at this point he'd just get kicked in the nads and the thread would be a train wreck. So I get it that he hasn't publicly apologized. It is a shame he was wearing a TBH shirt in the pic that went viral though.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                          I don't see a difference.
                          I see your point but the law sees firearms and archery tackle/vintage muzzleloaders differently.
                          Last edited by bossbowman; 12-11-2018, 12:04 PM.

Comment

[quote=Jcjohnson;13851679]
                            Originally posted by adam_p View Post

Hunting an injured deer at night does not take skill and from the first shot it looked like he injured it with a terrible archery shot. How did he end up making the lethal shot was it with archery equipment? I’m sure this buck lived there because no one was hiunting this place. Or suppose to be anyways. That makes a huge difference also
                            You equate his poaching to being a bad hunter. There are plenty of poachers who bust their *** to kill the deer they do. It is 100% wrong, but that doesn't make them bad at hunting, they just apply their skills on places they shouldn't be hunting.

There are lots of giant bucks killed from the window of pickups every year legally. No skill needed.

There are lots of giants killed in pens every year legally. No skill needed.

Comment

Who Travis apologizes to is his business. He needs to make amends to God, his family, possibly some friends and probably to the State as part of his plea. And "maybe" the landowner who's property he trespassed on. But he owes you or me nothing...

Comment

[quote=adam_p;13851714]
                                Originally posted by Jcjohnson View Post

You equate his poaching to being a bad hunter. There are plenty of poachers who bust their *** to kill the deer they do. It is 100% wrong, but that doesn't make them bad at hunting, they just apply their skills on places they shouldn't be hunting.

There are lots of giant bucks killed from the window of pickups every year legally. No skill needed.

There are lots of giants killed in pens every year legally. No skill needed.

Guess I just can’t see how hunting an injured buck at night, over corn on land no one is suppose to hunt is skillfull or any different than hunting a penned deer did he finish him off with archery equipment?
                                Last edited by Jcjohnson; 12-11-2018, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X