Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rent a U-Haul trailer, or get a camper shell / tonneau cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Measured my camper

Originally posted by cajuntec View Post
    I’d appreciate it. Thank you. It may not fit the cab, because they changed the design in 2009. So if it’s older, the bed size may fit, but the cab angle may be wrong, and may hit. Still interested though - just in case it does fit.
    All the best,
    Glenn
    It is 70 in wide and 80.5 in long. Front windshield and frame angles forward from perpendicular. I am not able to bring it to you but you are welcome to come here and try it

Comment

I rent U haul trailers quit often. Make sure to load it where its a little tongue heavy and it will follow you all day long with out being squirrelly. I don't worry about the 55mph thing, pulls fine 75mph plus

Comment

Well, I rented the U-Haul and just made a 3 day trip to my new temporary home in VA. Got everything moved, nice and easy. I stayed at 2 KOA campgrounds, in a tent set up next to my U-Haul trailer.

KOA in Baton Rouge LA was AWESOME. They called to check on me (I was running a bit late), and stuck around to show me where to set up my tent (nice, clean spot in a built pit, lined with little pebble stones - made for a nice flat pad for my tent, lighted, with power for my portable electric heater = great night sleep). Showers and bathroom were very close, but not too close. Nice and quiet. Probably haven't slept that good in years. They sent me a survey today. Gave them 5 stars. They earned it. I'd go back there in a heartbeat.

KOA in Anderson / Lake Hartwell SC was... Well, it wasn't Baton Rouge! Office was closed when I got there. No call to check on me like BR did. I had to find my spot, and it was dark. Very dark. Dogs barking at an RV spot the whole time I was setting up. Had to light the gas lantern to see what I was doing. Nice security guard stopped by to check on me and gave me some matches to light my lantern, as I was having a hard time locating mine. Got all set up, but it was a much more primitive spot - over some very sharp rocky / tree root infested ground. Water was turned off, just in case it got down to freezing. It was in the 40's though, and my portable heater did it's job. Woke up to it raining. Overall, not the worst night camping I've ever had, but after staying at the BR KOA, it was disappointing.

All settled in at my in-laws house for the time being. Everything unloaded.

Trailer pulled well at 65mph, and a few jaunts up to 70+ when passing.

Thanks for all the advice and responses. I'm going to miss TX, I'm sure, but I lived in VA for 18 of my 21 Navy years, and it sure is nice to return here too.

All the best,
        Glenn
        Last edited by cajuntec; 11-30-2018, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Great update brother, I was wondering how it panned out. Sorry about your time in the Navy (Army here) haha. I actually spent a few minutes looking at camper shells today for you, I’ll call off the search. Good luck in VA, there should be some great opportunities out there for a Navy retiree.

Comment

Originally posted by N Dubya View Post
            Great update brother, I was wondering how it panned out. Sorry about your time in the Navy (Army here) haha. I actually spent a few minutes looking at camper shells today for you, I’ll call off the search. Good luck in VA, there should be some great opportunities out there for a Navy retiree.
            Thanks N Dubya. I didn't realize you were in the Army. I'll use smaller words from now on. Just kidding ya! Thanks for serving!

I appreciate the search for the camper shells, as well as the good luck wishes. I secured a job before moving up, working for the company I first started with after I retired from the Navy. They gave me a great deal to move back here. Too good to pass up. Thanks again!

All the best,
            Glenn

Comment

Working...
            X