Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rent a U-Haul trailer, or get a camper shell / tonneau cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You should be just fine towing faster than 55, as long as your weight is distributed well and the tires are full of air to the tire's specs.

Comment

Originally posted by cajuntec View Post
      Ultimate Steel (dark gray metallic). But I’m not picky on the color at all. As long as it fits correctly, I’m good.
      Thank you.
      All the best,
      Glenn
      I would highly suggest buying a 6x12 trailer vs camper shell. As I say that, I currently have a camper shell on mine for hunting season. Here is why:

The trailer, its easy walk in walk out. With a camper shell, you have to climb in, which gets hard on my knees, and I am 32. You can walk in to get to the front of a trailer, or open the side door to get to the front. With the camper shell, you need to organize your stuff in such a way that stuff you need is near the tailgate, and stuff you don't is pushed towards the front. If you plan to camp inside the shell on top of that, you will have to reorganize all your crap to make sleeping area. Finally, in a trailer, no one can see what is inside, and less opportunity for theft.

That being said, if you go with camper shell, start calling truck accessory shops. I got mine at a massive discount because a car dealer ordered one, and never too delivery. It is color matched and everything, for about half the price of the same fiberglass topper had I ordered it. It is a LEER XQ100.
      Last edited by WItoTX; 11-14-2018, 09:40 AM. Reason: .

Comment

Have you thought of making a plywood box to fit your bed. Screw it all together and when finished, unscrew it. Four feet tall, lots of room.

Comment

If it would all fit in the truck I would get a camper shell, otherwise uhaul. Uhaul trailer also has numerous tie-down poits for your load.

Comment

Originally posted by Tejas Wildlife View Post
            Used it on an older model 6.5 ft Dodge. Repainted it black in 2016. LEER model. Will be home on Sat and could measure it. Hadn’t been used for 2 years. $150 and it is yours. I live Easy of Waco.
            I’d appreciate it. Thank you. It may not fit the cab, because they changed the design in 2009. So if it’s older, the bed size may fit, but the cab angle may be wrong, and may hit. Still interested though - just in case it does fit.
            All the best,
            Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by N Dubya View Post
              Possible, he only has it listed as 6" but the image he posted looks like a quad cab. A little higher priced though.

The length and price are right, but its missing the back glass, and the post is from October.
              https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pt...714048692.html
              Thank you. I’ll email the person with the newer one. I don’t have a bunch of time, so ordering new back glass for the other will probably take too long.
              All the best,
              Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by wsteffen View Post
                Last time I checked, it was just over $100 to rent the small enclosed u-haul trailer one way. I wouldn't be afraid to pull one if I was staying in campgrounds. Parking them in a hotel parking lot is asking to have it broke into. I see them going down the highway all the time at 70 mph. In the near future we will be renting one to pull behind our RV to move some stuff to northern NY.
                Originally posted by Smithwr View Post
                You can pull them 85mph all day long. At least from sweetwater to midlothian you can
                Originally posted by KyleW View Post
                You should be just fine towing faster than 55, as long as your weight is distributed well and the tires are full of air to the tire's specs.
                Thanks. About 24 hours worth of driving on the highways to get where I’m going. I’ll likely stay in campgrounds regardless of camper shell or trailer. I feel safer there, when I know I’m right near my stuff. Staying in a tent.
                All the best,
                Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                  I would highly suggest buying a 6x12 trailer vs camper shell. As I say that, I currently have a camper shell on mine for hunting season. Here is why:

The trailer, its easy walk in walk out. With a camper shell, you have to climb in, which gets hard on my knees, and I am 32. You can walk in to get to the front of a trailer, or open the side door to get to the front. With the camper shell, you need to organize your stuff in such a way that stuff you need is near the tailgate, and stuff you don't is pushed towards the front. If you plan to camp inside the shell on top of that, you will have to reorganize all your crap to make sleeping area. Finally, in a trailer, no one can see what is inside, and less opportunity for theft.

That being said, if you go with camper shell, start calling truck accessory shops. I got mine at a massive discount because a car dealer ordered one, and never too delivery. It is color matched and everything, for about half the price of the same fiberglass topper had I ordered it. It is a LEER XQ100.
                  Thank you. I’m only looking for one for this move. I’ve had camper shells on both my previous trucks, so I knew they were hard to maneuver inside. But they met my security needs when traveling. I can’t buy a trailer because my final destination does not have room for it to keep. I’ve called the local shops. Not much of a discount. They had one as you described - ordered, not picked up. Wanted $2K for it. Ouch!
                  All the best,
                  Glenn

Comment

No problem

Originally posted by cajuntec View Post
                    I’d appreciate it. Thank you. It may not fit the cab, because they changed the design in 2009. So if it’s older, the bed size may fit, but the cab angle may be wrong, and may hit. Still interested though - just in case it does fit.
                    All the best,
                    Glenn
                    I SHOULD get home Saturday. If I don’t send photos and measurements by Sunday, Please remind me. Been gone 3 weeks so may not recognize my place!!!🤣

Comment

Originally posted by Tejas Wildlife View Post
                      I SHOULD get home Saturday. If I don’t send photos and measurements by Sunday, Please remind me. Been gone 3 weeks so may not recognize my place!!!🤣

All the best,
                      Glenn

Comment

Looks like a quad cab.

Comment

use a POD and ship it

Comment

A camper/topper would be my choice. When searching craiglist make sure you search for topper as well as camper. Additionally, search for camper and topper in the car/truck for sale section as peeps list them in the wrong section.

I was recently told that used car lots tend to have many campers/toppers that they remove from vehicles they intend to sell. You might call around and check with the places around SA.

Comment

Originally posted by N Dubya View Post
                              Looks like a quad cab.
                              I can’t find that one. I searched. Wonder if it sold already? That is a great price, and that does look like a quad cab.
                              All the best,
                              Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by rebelbow View Post
                                use a POD and ship it
                                Nope. Not this cargo.
                                All the best,
                                Glenn

Comment

Working...
                                X