No announcement yet.

Help me pick a new deer rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like a 30-30 would fit your needs perfectly. With a scope, I wouldn’t hesitate to take a 200 yard shot on a Texas whitetail if the angle and conditions were right. Good knockdown and expansion at close range. I think Henry makes an all-weather model.

Comment

There is no way in heck that I would choose a 30-30 over what you have in the 270 Win.

Don't let one bad experience with it doubt the effectiveness of the Jack O'Conner's darling round.

If you are just jonesing for a new rifle there are many many choices that will work.

From what I read on forums the Grendel is a sweet little round. I bought a bolt gun from a member here several months ago and am just going to get around shooting it in a few days. Picked up some bullets and a set of dies for it yesterday so I am set.

Comment

i laugh at the guy saying the .270 had poor blood trails.

if you want a lighter recoil round, i personally think the 7mm-08 is just about the perfect round for most hunting situations.

i also have a 6.5G in an AR platform that is the sweetest shooting 123 gr bullet you'll find.

due to bullet construction today, heavier recoiling guns just aren't worth it to me.

Comment

Marlin 336 in .35 Remington. It's a hammer!

Comment

30-30 is what I was going to suggest. 6.5 Grendel would fit your needs nicely too. I’ve killed deer out to about 175yds with the 30-30 and wouldn’t hesitate to do it again. I’m sure others on here have stretched the 30-30 out farther with success.

Comment

I would say switch bullet/load on .270. A lot of loads and bullets for it are not meant for close shots (<50 yds) on medium game. I don’t have any recommendations as far as any to choose from but with a little searching I’m sure you could find one to fit the bill.

Or go 30-30 route with scope that has variable zoom low enough for 30 yard shots and enough to make it possible for 200 yards, 3-9x40 or a 2-10x40 would do the job, or mount as side scope or with look through rings to allow you to still use open sights.

Comment

Get you .300 win mag with a short barrel and Shoot 150 or 180 grain round nose bullets and shoot them in the shoulder. You won't be looking for any deer.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                  .243 shooting 100 grain bullets. The heaviest bodied mulie I've ever seen had a hole in one side and out the other after my buddy shot him in the shoulder. He's dropped a bunch of other deer with the same setup.

Have hunted the last 10 yrs with a 243 with 100 grain pills. There is only one degree of dead. And the 243 is good. Also a 30-30. Love my little 30-30. Compact easy to carry and shoot. Just MO

“There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” -Fred Bear-

Comment

A few questions:

Did you say what kind of bullet you use out of the 270?
                    How good is your eye sight?
                    Why do you expect the Grendel to be better than a 270?
                    If your worried about trailing, why not change your shot placement to the shoulder?

Comment

you're right about the 270 at 25 yds, it was not going to expand at that range.
                      here's what I've used or use now and ALWAYS have large exit wounds:

270 win; 150 grn. Sierra Gameking
                      .25-60 Rem; (my favorite), 120 grn. Speer Grand Slams
                      .30-30 win; 150 grn., not sure what brand bullet
                      .243 win; 100 grn. Sierra Gameking

Comment

Originally posted by JeffK View Post
                        A few questions:

Did you say what kind of bullet you use out of the 270?

How good is your eye sight?

Why do you expect the Grendel to be better than a 270?

If your worried about trailing, why not change your shot placement to the shoulder?

- Hornady superformance 130gr interbond

- eyesight is bueno

- the pluses over the .270 for me personally would be 1. Shorter overall weapon 2. Less recoil 3. Quicker follow up shots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Consider a 308. In whatever brand/model fits you and your budget.

Comment

I'ma be that guy..

Shooting deer at 25 and 30 yards use your bow!

Comment

Help me pick a new deer rifle

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                              I'ma be that guy..

Shooting deer at 25 and 30 yards use your bow!

[emoji849]. Thanks for the input. Lol. Honestly I regretted not having my bow. It’s public land, I will take any advantage I can acquire legally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

In gonna second all the suggestions on the 30-30; I grew up hunting with one and over half the shots I made were 75-150 yards, never lost a deer and never had one go more than 20 yards. I also shot more than a few in that 10-25 yard window and had the same results.

Mine was a bolt action for the record with a 3-9x Tasco still on it. I need to go get it from my Dad’s and get some more deer with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X