No announcement yet.

Help me pick a new deer rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My "deer gun" is a .30-06. Never had any trouble, and honestly I think it overkill for deer. However i do like the extra umfff for big pigs.

Really shot placement should be as big a worry as caliber/round. Ive shot deer and had pass throughs with .223, and ive also shot deer and not had a pass with my .30-06... all depends on where you hit/exit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Learn from your friends at OutdoorHub what the 7 largest big game rifle cartridges are and get to know the differences and see just how powerful they are.

i personally like the knockdown power of the 950JDJ

Comment

My dad has problems with poor blood trails with a 270 in the past. I've never had issues with my 30-06.

Short range i would be thinking of the 30-30. Very light weight, inexpensive, ammo is easy to find at any wally world. I've taken many from 10 yards and out.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_ View Post
          My dad has problems with poor blood trails with a 270 in the past. I've never had issues with my 30-06.

Short range i would be thinking of the 30-30. Very light weight, inexpensive, ammo is easy to find at any wally world. I've taken many from 10 yards and out.

Would you feel confident shooting out to 100yrds with a 30-30?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I shoot a Ruger American .243 with a Redfield Revenge 3-9x42 scope 4 plex reticle.
            I use Remington core-lockt 100 grain ammo. I haven't had to track a deer yet. They all drt including a big bodied mule deer buck I shot last year.

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post

I have no hesitation. Over +150 my confidence might waver, but 100 no problem, I've killed many with a marlin 336 30-30 at 100 yards.

Comment

I would use a different bullet for your .270. But if you are just wanting something new, I don't think it gets any better than the 7-08 for Texas game. Low recoil, lightweight rifles.

Comment

I agree with the many above. I would try a different .270 round. The Federal Fusion has been a solid performer, especially for the money. I shot a doe at 35 yards and it definitely expanded. Also shot 1 at approx. 250 yards and it performed flawlessly. These were with the Federal Fusion 130gr. 270WIN. If you are just wanting to get another rifle, I am a fan of the .308WIN. That round more than meets your requirements, and can be found in almost every rifle produced, so you will be able to find exactly what you are looking for.

Comment

What are y’all opinion on the 6.5 Grendel? I can get the upper assembly only and use my current lower??

Comment

Help me pick a new deer rifle

Supposedly has 3x the energy of a 30-30 at 300yrds

Comment

Definitely the ammo and not the gun. I shot an axis this summer that soaked up everything my 30-06 had to offer with a bonded bullet and didn’t bleed a drop. We were lucky to find it.

I would try several ammo types unless you just want a new gun. Nothing wrong with that! 243 is lightning on deer, but it’s lighter than the 270 you already have. I don’t think you need to go up to a 30-06 since you already have a 270. On deer and hogs they should be close enough to equal to not justify the expense.

One you might consider is the 35 Remington in either a Rem 7600 pump or a Marlin lever. The 35 has some punch and with practice is very much a 200yd capable round.

Comment

Keep the 270 and shoot high shoulder. As mentioned above, get some 130 gr corelokt

Comment

Buy a box of Winchester silver ballistic tips for your 270 and you’re good

Comment

If you want a new gun.. Like who doesnt want a new gun..

I would suggest 300BO in the AR platform.

But if sticking with the 270 why not. I shoot sierra BT130gr. and have for years.

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post

spitting distance for a 30-30,, it will effectively kill at over double that all day long

Comment

Working...
                                X