Caliber for a kid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
    Go bigger caliber with reduced recoil ammo. Gives him room to grow.
    This!!!!! Both my boys have 30/06, reduced recoil rounds have put down many deer, big hole and complete pass thru on big deer. They have a 243 as well and shot if for a long time, reduced recoil 30/06 shoots softer than 243 to me. It 125 grain, knocks them dead. It was so close to 150 grain zero at 100, I didn’t even move the scope.

Comment

7mm-08 for the win. ........but the .243 is a spectacular round aswell.....in my opinion.

Comment

For those recommending the "reduced recoil" loads, are you using the Hornady Lite loads? What about the Remington loads?
        Last edited by Nate Riley; 11-13-2018, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Hornady lite loads!! That’s what I am useing and works great.

Comment

Caliber for a kid?

My son uses my 6.5 Grendel in an ar 15 platform. He doesn’t have the length of pull for a regular rifle so the collapsing stock works great. The 6.5 knocks them down every time. I’ve had trouble bringing deer down with a .243 so I don’t even bother with it. He killed his first buck this year with it he’s 9 years old. He’s been shooting it since he was 7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Last edited by stevequick432; 11-13-2018, 12:39 PM.

Comment

My dad bought me a .243 at 9 years old and I used it till I was 35.. Plenty strong to take down Deer and pigs.. Pulled it out for old time sake the other day and fired it.. Bullets still touch at 100 yards with original Bushnell 3-9 scope.. the important thing is to keep sharing memories..

Comment

Originally posted by Nate Riley View Post
                For those recommending the "reduced recoil" loads, are you using the Hornady Lite loads? What about the Remington loads?
                Experience with remington has been good. Have not tried hornady. But I know that every rifle is different and not all ammo batches are consistent.

Unless your kid has it really dialed in, it doesn't hurt to give them a bigger round that may make up for a less than perfect shot. To each his own though.

Comment

Working...
                X