Can a deer duck a xbow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BO-N-ARO View Post
    The bolt would have to travel faster than sound for them not be able to move before it got there....
    This

Comment

I had a bow pushing arrows 343 fps , at 30 yards hill country does could still drop about 3"

Comment

Crossbows are faster but also a lot louder. They can duck it.

Comment

Of course!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m shooting around 400fps and they never had a chance inside 35 yards. Aim at bottom third of the body and hit in bottom third or dead center. Outcome could be different with varying circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
              Uhhh no!!
              LOL right..

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
                I had a bow pushing arrows 343 fps , at 30 yards hill country does could still drop about 3"
                Sounds like a tournament set up not a hunting rig.. What was your total hunting arrow weight?

Comment

Keep the range reasonable 30yards and you will hit them every time.

Comment

Originally posted by MQ32Shooter View Post
                    Did you not see the smiley face?? I’m saying they sound pretty loud on the TV shows. Just kidding

Sorry man, my bad. I was pretty aggravated at the moment and that normally results in false readings on my bs meter.

Comment

Originally posted by T-roy66 View Post
                      Keep the range reasonable 30yards and you will hit them every time.

That is what is bothering me, the shot was roughly 25 yards and I didn't flinch

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                        Crossbows are faster but also a lot louder. They can duck it.
                        This^^^^^^

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                          Sounds like a tournament set up not a hunting rig.. What was your total hunting arrow weight?
                          29" monster 6 set at 72# shooting gold tip 400s w/75grain rocket mini blasters.
                          Total arrow weight was 348-350 grains depend on wich one you weighed.
                          Passed through everything I shot btw

Comment

Just cause ur shooting a crossbow doesn’t mean U can shoot at longer distances, keep it close, 10 yards or less, they can still jump the string, make sure they look away before U shoot, my 35years of bow hunting

Comment

Originally posted by ecallarman View Post
                              The speed of sound is 1125 feet per second so I am sure there can and will be some movement from the deer before the arrow/bolt reaches it mark.
                              This ^^^^

Comment

I heard somewhere that deer can react to sounds in about 1/4 second. I'm no expert but seemed plausible to me so I calculated how far my Xbow arrow nominally travels in 1/4 second. I use the resulting number as the farthest distance that a deer is unlikely to be able to jump the string...not an absolute, just a planning factor.

Here's the math I used:
                                360 fps divided by 4 (.25 seconds) = 90 feet
                                90 feet divided by 3 = 30 yards

I believe the arrow will be lethal well past 30 yards but do my best to limit my shots on game to 30 yards or less. Hope this helps...YMMV

Comment

Working...
                                X