• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats on one helluva buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AggieArcher View Post
      Those of you that saw my thread yesterday end with disappointment are in for another surprise! This morning I was changing feeder times and noticed buzzards grouped up down the creek, so I wondered down that way. To my surprise there lay my buck! He was about 200 yards from the feeder in heavy cover, and as it turns out I had shot him right through the heart, actually cut it in half. I have no earthly idea how there was fat and no blood on the arrow or how he didn’t bleed a drop in the 100 yards I followed him down the trail.

Obviously a learning experience for me, I’ve been bowhunting since I was 11 and I’ve seen and learned alot. This goes to show as a bowhunter you’ll always be learning! The reason I didn’t grid search for him was because I thought I had just clipped him, and didn’t want to push him in hopes he would return another day. This is why I usually video my hunts! All in all though I’m thrilled to lay hands on my biggest bow buck ever! A Mason County native low fence buck that taped out at 144 5/8”.

Sorry for the roller coaster!

[ATTACH]930945[/ATTACH]
      Post #15. I've seen it more than a few times.

Congrats on a great deer!

Comment

Wow! Congrats on the recovery!

Comment

Great buck, glad you found him.

Fat around his heart, I wonder if he had Heart disease and high blood pressure?

Comment

Congrats! Glad you found him.

Comment

Cool buck! Congrats on the recovery.

Comment

Wow that’s crazy man. Congrats on a great mason county buck.

On a side not if you cut the heart in half it is no longer creating any blood pressure to push out of the chest cavity. Usually they will bleed like crazy the first few steps though and then the trail kinda just starts dribbling out

Comment

That's crazy, awesome buck

Comment

Congrats on the recovery and heck of a buck!

Did you end up trying your dog on the track?

Comment

That boy is beautiful, congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
                        Congrats on the recovery and heck of a buck!

Did you end up trying your dog on the track?

I did. I had him on lead and walked him all around the point of impact then down the trail I watched the buck run out on. I can tell the difference with him when he’s “searching” vs when he’s “on something” and was never on anything. He’s obviously not at the level of any professional dogs like Courtney’s or Buff’s, but I have confidence in him on my own deer and my family and friends. He’s been good in the past. That was another reason I thought I didn’t hit him good. Just a big learning experience though! Stick enough arrows into animals and weird stuff is going to happen.

Comment

Sometimes weird stuff just happens hunting. I shot a buck with my rifle once, felt like it was a great shot.

Ended up tracking him for 4 hours with very minimal blood. Did finally recover him and when I walked up on him he had a hole right below his heart that had blown out a baseball sized chunk of his sternum and his heart was plugging the hole preventing blood from coming out. I didn't actually hit his heart, but I destroyed everything around it. No idea how he even made it 50 yards, much less 2 miles.

Congrats on the recovery. Great feeling.
                          Last edited by BitBackShot; 10-29-2018, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Great ending!!!! Congratulations!

Comment

Beautiful buck, congrats!

Comment

Impressive buck! Congrats!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X