Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've gotta overcome this scent control crap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I put evercalm on my rubber boots when I walk-in. It seems to work for sure!

Comment

someone should post up the issue associated with certain foods you have been eating too

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
        Just hunt and dont worry about it. When you finally decide to completely free yourself of of this scent nonsense you will start to enjoy your time in the woods much more. Odds are your going to get busted, odds are at least one old azz doe is going to cause trouble. Just ignore it. Find peace in the woods.
        Ditto

Comment

As far as you walk and if you really build a sweat, no scent reduction spray or shower is going to help you stay scent free. When you bathe and spray down, you are trying to get rid of exactly what you work up on your walk. It is what it is. Even if you smoke your clothes and your body you are still going to deal with the scent of your own sweat and the bacteria it creates while you sit after that long walk.

Comment

Instead of trying to get ride of it, why not get them used to it?

Get two old shirts, every time you walk to the stand, swap your shirt out, and leave the sweaty one hanging in stand when you leave.

Before the day of thermacells, we did this with mosquito spray. We would spray the entire stand down every time we were out there. We did dump a bag of corn every time we sprayed, but they get used to it pretty quick.

Comment

Originally posted by huntingjunkie View Post
              If possible, cut some fresh cedar limbs. Stomp on them to rub scent in sole of hunting boots real good and rub them all over your clothes. I would also pack my clothes in a bin with fresh cedar limbs. Natural strong scent. I would also set pop ups and tripods cut in big cedars if at all possible. Just a thought...
              This works. I carry some hand pruners in my pack and cut off a cedar limb close to the stand. Ill cut it up in small 1/2" to 1" pieces and scatter around the stand. Deer and hogs are a lot calmer and I don't get the deer blowing at me down wind. Vanilla extract works too but I have plenty of cedar in the area Im hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post
                been hanging my clothes in the Garage with a fan on them due to all the rain. I think I need to hang them outside in the patio. Use Cedar and smoke both!

I'm about to build a Bow tree stand about 30 yards to the south of the feeder. The box blind is to the East of the feeder about 80 yards.
                Seems to me, the bold print has a lot to do with your problem... Where I hunt (Liberty County in East Texas and Webb County in South Texas) prevailing winds are from the Southeast... Your stand location and proposed new locations are the two WORST possible directions from where you expect to get a shot... See if you can put yourself a stand on the WEST side of your feeder and hunt there... maybe try a pop up first to see if it works. In a pop up, I keep all my windows closed except the one I plan to shoot through. I hang an Ozonics machine above the window and have it blowing down across the open window. I have been very successful at fooling whitetailed deer, even very wary mature deer with this set up. If the wind is a little iffy, the ozonics along with good general scent control can result in a successful hunt...

If it's not cold, put on a T-shirt and shorts for the walk in and carry your hunting clothes in a plastic bag... make the switch and spray down again once you get to your stand... I've done that too on sets where the good wind for the shot window works but deer are approaching from a bad direction... Lots of things you can experiment with...

Comment

You will never be scent free. Your body sheds 30-40 thousand dead skin cells every minute. Some of the odors you may control but not scent. I think the ozone thing may be the closest thing to actually eating the skin cells we are discarding. Like a few others have said , don't overthink it just have fun and enjoy

Comment

Originally posted by easeup View Post
                    someone should post up the issue associated with certain foods you have been eating too
                    Just don't put beans in your chili.

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
                      Instead of trying to get ride of it, why not get them used to it?

Get two old shirts, every time you walk to the stand, swap your shirt out, and leave the sweaty one hanging in stand when you leave.

Before the day of thermacells, we did this with mosquito spray. We would spray the entire stand down every time we were out there. We did dump a bag of corn every time we sprayed, but they get used to it pretty quick.
                      Very interesting!

Comment

Used to have same issue years ago. I just step on old dried up cow ****. Just be careful and make sure its dry and not wet **** as it will be a little messy haha.

Comment

Lots of good ideas, a couple not so good.
                          Try not to sweat, slower walk, shorts n t shirt. Ozonics if you got it. Bike sounds fun.
                          Don't hunt the mornings in that stand. Have fun!

Comment

Not every place is huntable. Deer know these spots and that’s why they feel safe there. I typically walk in with minimum clothes as legally possible and dress up last 100-150 yards.... cause I sweat too. This is also a reason I don’t burn up my good stands early on.

Any way to access from other directions? Even if paying access to not hunt. I have a property I gift summer sausage, jerky ect for access to get to a great stand... that otherwise I have to cross 35 acre meadow that they bed in. Made that stand 1000 more productive. And I feel my trucks safer parked in their yard

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
                              Used to have same issue years ago. I just step on old dried up cow ****. Just be careful and make sure its dry and not wet **** as it will be a little messy haha.
                              We always look for the wet ones. Not sloppy wet, but just enough to smear around.

Comment

Hecs

Comment

Working...
                                X