Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Llano River bridge over Lake LBJ is out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skiguy327 View Post
    Terrible. Just horrific. Something doesn’t compute... lake Travis is about 8 ft below full right now and definitely some headroom above that. Lake Buchanan is slightly below full. I’m wondering how LCRA let LBJ get out of control?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Because the rain was between Buchanan and Travis. Water has to go through LBJ.
    Even with all the floodgates open and maximum generation, the water is coming into LBJ faster than it can be let out

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      How they "let" it? That's not really how it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Quit being a sheeple. It's all the Deep State's doings....

Comment

Originally posted by skiguy327 View Post
        Terrible. Just horrific. Something doesn’t compute... lake Travis is about 8 ft below full right now and definitely some headroom above that. Lake Buchanan is slightly below full. I’m wondering how LCRA let LBJ get out of control?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        The Llano flows into LBJ not Buchanan.

Comment

I'm a builder here in Kingsland and also live on the water, its crazy. This place has been here since the mid 60's and this is the worse I've ever seen it. I would've never thought I would see this.

That picture of Scenic Loop I have a new construction house that was just getting started a few houses down. Its not looking good.

Comment

Last week, when the llano was expected to crest at 24 feet, the LCRA let a little water from LBJ in anticipation of the flood.
            I don’t know why that wasn’t done again...unless no one saw it coming or they couldn’t let out enough water in time to do any good.

Comment

KVUE news here in Austin has had a reporter at Starcke Dam spillway, they have been showing some of the debris going over the spillway. Large boat dock went over several jet skis, kayaks, and just now a large storage shed. Unreal what this flooding is doing.

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
                KVUE news here in Austin has had a reporter at Starcke Dam spillway, they have been showing some of the debris going over the spillway. Large boat dock went over several jet skis, kayaks, and just now a large storage shed. Unreal what this flooding is doing.
                link?

Comment

Record at Llano is 41.5', it is as 39.91' now.

Comment

Please keep in mind that LBJ is pass through lake, which is why people LOVE to own a home on the lake, you very rarely have to deal with low lake levels but this comes at a cost, there is not a lot of freeboard for the lakes to take on additional water. For the past year, the lake has been at 96% full because of this.

Also keep in mind that the engineers can not just open the gates to let more water out, you have to think of what will happen downstream, beyond that gate.

Comment

that looks bad

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiechick View Post

Also keep in mind that the engineers can not just open the gates to let more water out, you have to think of what will happen downstream, beyond that gate.
                        this mindset and the decisions today will be fully analyzed over the coming weeks, and a few folks will likely be leaving due to the fallout.

Downstream is downstream, and you can't sacrifice the lake or the dam because someone built in the river basins south of the dam.

It's always been that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                          this mindset and the decisions today will be fully analyzed over the coming weeks, and a few folks will likely be leaving due to the fallout.

Downstream is downstream, and you can't sacrifice the lake or the dam because someone built in the river basins south of the dam.

Exactly what happened here with Conroe and the SJRA after Harvey

Comment

Well I will say that last night 10:00 weather said there would be some rain and some flooding on the Llano River, however it will be nothing like last week. You can't trust the weather folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post

Watching all of this from WAAAAAAAAAYYYYY down stream. After seeing Harvey's flooding I can honestly say I can almost relate. Water wasn't moving near as fast down here as it can up there.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybo31 View Post
                                Exactly what happened here with Conroe and the SJRA after Harvey
                                I agree, you should not sacrifice the dam for those downstream but there are so many factors that one must take into account when releasing water and at what time. The Colorado and Llano Rivers have some dramatic bends, and if you release water quickly into those areas, the flow is retarded and can potentially cause additional damage and flooding in areas upstream. I do not envy those who have to make that decision as to when to release water and how much.

The kicker is this, nature is a cruel woman who you can not predict and when you live on or near a waterbody, you have to expect that one day she will come knocking on your door to remind you that she is the boss, no mater how much engineering or planning that is done. I just hope that everyone was able to vacate their homes quickly and all are safe. Homes can be replaced.

Comment

Working...
                                X