Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Llano River bridge over Lake LBJ is out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aggie PhD View Post
    If you talk to the old-timers that worked at LCRA 30-50 years ago, they will tell you that the primary purpose was for flood control (I know that is not what their website says now.....). Second was hydroelectric.
    Of course when they built all of these people never foresaw the population boom that is central Texas and its need for utilization as a source of drinking water.. Recreation although perceived as a major function these days by most now, is a by product.

over the years LCRA has changed and is way more political than is was 30-50 years ago, hence the reason that the General Manager now seems to be more of a political job.

My dad retired 27 years ago from LCRA, and I got to experience a lot of the changes over his career.
    I still remember getting to go fish in the generation discharge below Wirtz at night on my birthday 30+ years ago. Walking through the gates and climbing down onto the dam to fish at night. Man they wouldn't let anyone do that anymore...

True story! Growing up Downstream in La Grange this is what I’ve always been told. Flood control first, water for rice farmers and electricity a close 2nd and 3rd. Before the ****s La Grange had a flood that put a couple feet of water in the court house.

Did your dad know Mark Vinklarek. He just retired from LCRA. He was probably youngen when your dad retired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Actual truth:

Buchanan Dam and Lake Buchanan primary purpose: Water supply, hydroelectric power
      Inks Dam and Inks Lake primary purpose: Hydroelectric power
      Wirtz Dam and Lake LBJ primary purpose: Hydroelectric power, cooling reservoir
      Starcke Dam and Lake Marble Falls primary purpose: Hydroelectric power
      Mansfield Dam and Lake Travis primary purpose: Flood management, water supply storage, hydroelectric power
      Tom Miller Dam and Lake Austin primary purpose: Hydroelectric power, water supply
      Longhorn Dam and Ladybird Lake primary purpose: Cooling reservoir

That's straight off the LCRA's website. Flood control doesn't pay the bills.

Dams serve multiple purposes and flood control is rarely the primary purpose.

While all the dams in the Highland Lakes chain can help manage floods, Mansfield Dam is the only one designed to hold back floodwaters. The dams upstream of Lake Travis are designed to pass floodwaters downstream to Lake Travis.

Rivers drain basins and the flow can fluctuate but people know how to measure a floodplain and build outside of the zone. Dams were built so all that river water wouldn't go to waste. During the era of dam building, people dammed as many streams as they could to save all that water so it could be put to use. A lot of towns were flooded during the creation of the lakes.
      Today, hundreds are being removed to allow rivers to return to their natural pre-dam states.
      Last edited by Sika; 10-17-2018, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X