No announcement yet.

Is it more worth it to buy or lease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought 640 acres a year and a half ago. I lease 400 acres adjoining it. On a yearly basis, the leased land cost me 6% of the cost of the owned land so if money is your only determining factor then leasing is far and away the best route to go.

With that said, I would never want to go back to leasing after owning. I grew tired of the lease game with all the personalities, egos, and drama that come along with leasing. Me and two other TBH'ers stuck together and jumped around to three different leases over the years and hated moving around, setting everything back up, trying to learn new property, etc.

What I like about owning is the pride that comes along with improving the place and your deer herd. Its also great to have your buddies out and just do whatever you want and not worry about stepping on someone's toes. I'm excited to see how the ranch evolves over the years and I hope that its passed on to my kids and their kids and everyone can enjoy it for years to come.

Comment

That's right throw'n darts and your dad gets to hunt for Free!

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
        That's right throw'n darts and your dad gets to hunt for Free!
        Go shoot a big one. You might have to swim to the blind though.

Comment

Appreciate all the comments. I can see the good and bad of owning vs leasing.

Well, I have a decision to make. Thanx, please continue with the comments.

Throwing Darts, I appreciate you breaking it down to a percentage, that helps.

Comment

I have been hunting our land under 130 acres for 10-15 years and love it. Can improve it, do what I want, and know it will always be there.

Picked up 1000-2000 acres bordering it to hog hunt with thermal and I have all I would ever need. I have killed almost a 140 and also a low 150's. Small acreage it can be done.

Leasing is throwing away money, and you get nothing in return of value besides the meat. The meat for me is a bonus, its the process for me.

I kill 200+ hogs a year, and 2 deer every year on our land myself.

I won't ever lease unless its a long term lease and my buddies are on it also. Family, friends, the process, and close to home mean more to me

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
              I have been hunting our land under 130 acres for 10-15 years and love it. Can improve it, do what I want, and know it will always be there.

Picked up 1000-2000 acres bordering it to hog hunt with thermal and I have all I would ever need. I have killed almost a 140 and also a low 150's. Small acreage it can be done.

Leasing is throwing away money, and you get nothing in return of value besides the meat. The meat for me is a bonus, its the process for me.

I kill 200+ hogs a year, and 2 deer every year on our land myself.

I won't ever lease unless its a long term lease and my buddies are on it also. Family, friends, the process, and close to home mean more to me
              Excellent

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin' Darts View Post
                What I like about owning is the pride that comes along with improving the place and your deer herd. Its also great to have your buddies out and just do whatever you want and not worry about stepping on someone's toes. I'm excited to see how the ranch evolves over the years and I hope that its passed on to my kids and their kids and everyone can enjoy it for years to come.
                This seems to me like much more of a draw than anything else that has been mentioned.

Comment

Just my opinion, but no way I would buy land with the primary purpose being hunting related. While hunting leases can be expensive, it's still only a fraction of the cost of 1 years ownership of said land.

Now, would I buy property later in life with the expectation of it being my retirement property; perhaps. But hunting is not the sole reason for the purchase.

Yes, land does appreciate in value and they aren't making any more of it. However, that is also overblown to an extent. Some of that appreciated value takes years to obtain. Land also isn't necessarily a very liquid asset and could turn into a burden if you need to sell it.

While a negative on leasing is the LO may not renew your contract the following year; that also can work in your favor too. Life gets in the way and expenses get tight? Want a change of scenery or something opens closer to home? The flexibility of leasing does help you too sometimes.

There are positives and negatives on both.

Comment

Leases are cheap compared to buying. To compare you have look at the same acreage.

Comment

My inlaws have a family farm in Normangee which I get to hunt for free. the place is paid off and will be divided between her sister and her. It is a great place to get away in the weekend and hunt every now and then. However, with that said I never have a "relaxing" weekend because it is a lot of work to take care of the fences, cattle, mowing, baling, roads etc. Not that it is bad, but when I try to hunt the afternoon something always comes up and little projects take place that I like to get finished. So for relaxing hunting weekends I go on guided hunts a couple times a year. I guess I kind of have the best of both worlds. However, growing up, I always wanted to own my own place. If i was not inheriting this place I would probably just lease and let someone else, deal with all the major fixes and just enjoy the outdoors.

Comment

another thing to think about is the cost. in perspective leases are a lot cheaper. Lets say you pay 5,000 a year for a hunting lease. if you hunt for 40 years that is 200K.Depending on where you want to hunt 200K might not get you much land, and if it does, then you still have to build, maintain, taxes, insurance and fix everything. With leasing you have the chance of moving around the state or areas if you would like to.

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
                          another thing to think about is the cost. in perspective leases are a lot cheaper. Lets say you pay 5,000 a year for a hunting lease. if you hunt for 40 years that is 200K.Depending on where you want to hunt 200K might not get you much land, and if it does, then you still have to build, maintain, taxes, insurance and fix everything. With leasing you have the chance of moving around the state or areas if you would like to.

I’m in my thirties and I just can’t see me buying a place except for buying my Aunt out on our family ranch in the next 10 years. I have no desire to do anything but hunt a piece of property so the taxes and upkeep would eat me alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I do both, like others have said I still lease a big property because I like the camp life and sharing the hunting experience with others. I also like to see deer when I hunt. On my small 30ac it’s hot or miss whether I will see deer much less kill one. I do enjoy working on my “ranch” so both have their place. I’m hoping to buy more adjoining acres soon if possible but I’ll still lease. I like having control of the herd and it’s hard to do on small acreage.

Comment

Thanx guys. Just a reminder, I will not buy land in Tx. Arky, Okie, Missouri all these states have low taxes, how ever I get what you are saying.

I could see the burden of working on a place would/could drown out my hunting time.

Thanx, excellent info.

Comment

lots of issues with both. slightly more with leasing because of dealing with people, and future sales. with owning, taxes come every year.

legacy, you seem like a man whos steps are guided by The Lord. be looking for that place that HE has in mind for you. you will know it when you see it, i believe. if you are wanting to move, then owning is a pretty easy decision.

Comment

Working...
                                X