Comment

Originally posted by RJK70 View Post

This

Comment

Originally posted by dgilbert View Post
              Anywhere between 2.5- 5.5 looks like.
              Thanks for clearing that up!

Comment

Man that is a tough one. I'd say the 3.5 to 4.5 range. Just a suggestion, but I would increase the size of your feeder pin in the first 3 pictures. I've found that it helps a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
                  Man that is a tough one. I'd say the 3.5 to 4.5 range. Just a suggestion, but I would increase the size of your feeder pin in the first 3 pictures. I've found that it helps a lot.
                  It's on the 'to do' list, but those panels are just so dang expensive!

Comment

I've got a couple more pics of the first buck, definitely top dawg, but still unsure of age...

Comment

Having the same problem in Gillespie county. Asking members to pass up deer that may be in the right age range to take. I don't know the answer, someone help us!

Comment

I think he look farely mature at least 4.5 but I think he is older. I am just surprised he jumps in that small pen, mine wont do that.

Comment

Velvet pics are near impossible to judge free-range hill country whitetails sometimes.

IF that is indeed the same buck, he looked 2.5 in the first pic. In the last pic he looks 4.5, but he may be a fat 3.5. If he is top dog around younger bucks then he is most likely 4.5.

If they look that different from velvet to rut, I still say let him go and shoot the 2nd buck if and when you catch up to him. He's a respectable deer for the HC but could definitely get more impressive.

Also, X2 on bigger pens. What tends to happen is exactly what you're seeing in the picture. 1 mature buck jumps in and no other deer do until he leaves. You don't have to have those fancy cattle pens. 3' cattle panels work just fine. Just drive T posts wherever you can between the rocks

Comment

Both are most likely going to be much older than most people are guessing. We've shot many that were guessed under 4.5 but the teeth end up aging 6+. Hill country deer can be pretty deceiving at times.

Comment

That first buck is older than 2 1/2. I think he's at least 4 1/2 especially in the last pics you posted.

Comment

Tip buck is probably 5.5., might be 4.5, but no younger

Comment

Working...
                                X