Interview with victim of Wyoming bear attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
    I'm not sure I could change magazines with a charging grizzly bearing down on me, but if the 14 rounds won't stop him/her, then I'll use the last one for me.

The .44 mag is probably too heavy to lug out o the river!
    Not sure I could change magazines either but I like the concept

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
      doesn't sound round to me,,, the bear attacks, nocks the gun out of his hand,, and while the bear has him he somehow retrieves the gun, but does not use it, he limp wrists the throw to the guide gets on his horse that is still standing there with TWO bears on full on attack and rides away?

how does he have enough thought process to retrieve the gun, but not enough manhood to use it,,, but thinks " the guide needs my gun more than I do" so I will throw it to him and run away,, ..

I know nothing about horses and don't pretend to,, but I do not see them standing around with bears in a ticked off mood! the article reads like both horses were pulling the elk,,, if so he had enough time and thought to either cut the rope with a knife he had to get from somewhere or untie the rope, all the while the horse stood still ?

I have issues with his "story",,,, or at least the written version of it.... and what happened to the gun because it was not found

I'm not a horse person but it seems I'm around them weekly with Riley . Unless they were riding circus trained horses the above couldn't have happened . No way that scenario played out.

Comment

Nm
        Last edited by Take Dead Aim; 09-18-2018, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
          Yep, a big ole poozy . Let me throw my gun and run. Was probably asking about a refund on his hunt, as he was running away.
          Nail on the head right here.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
            Unbelievably sad deal. I know I wasn’t there and by no means will I claim to fully understand the situation but I just can’t fathom why he would throw the gun and not use it.

Edit: In the first clip the interviewer states that he was trying to “load the pistol” which might explain why he threw it to the guide. Idk. If that’s the case, why on earth would it not already be loaded and one in the chamber?
            The reporter also stated they "caught an elk", and then "loading the pistol". I dunno could be that killing the elk and readying or removing the pistol from holster got lost there. Can't understand why you'd have a pistol for this very reason and not have it ready and loaded, especially with quarry in tow. Awful all the way around.

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
              Lots of unanswered questions. Lots of internet heros too. We don't know what happened or how any of us would have reacted. Maybe the guide tried to draw the bear's attention from his client and told his client to run for help. Or maybe the guide had his throat ripped out and there was nothing the guy could do but try to save himself. Or maybe the client was the biggest pansy to come out of FL. We probably won't ever know the full story. Prayers for the guides family.
              This. My first thought was what if the guide told him to get outta there.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                Unbelievably sad deal. I know I wasn’t there and by no means will I claim to fully understand the situation but I just can’t fathom why he would throw the gun and not use it.

Edit: In the first clip the interviewer states that he was trying to “load the pistol” which might explain why he threw it to the guide. Idk. If that’s the case, why on earth would it not already be loaded and one in the chamber?
                The reporter also stated they "caught an elk", and then "loading the pistol". I dunno could be that killing the elk and readying or removing the pistol from holster got lost there. Can't understand why you'd have a pistol for this very reason and not have it ready and loaded, especially with quarry in tow. Awful all the way around.

Comment

I can see how you could forget details if you just got tossed around then saw a man getting ripped apart by a 300 pound animal.

Comment

Hey, Im all for throwing the pistol, if I was out of ammo.

Comment

I’ve been following this since it happened as unbeknownst to me I am much closer to the situation than I thought. In fact just yesterday we were posted up on a ridge overlooking the drainage in which the incident took place. Through direct contact with people that are very close to the incident there are many issues with the hunters story that I think have been mentioned here. They did capture 2 grizzlies in the same area and killed both on site. Testing on the sow confirmed bear spray was used but obviously ineffective. In regards to his story about being pulled off his horse. I was told by someone who has spent many years chasing game in the mountains here in WY that there has never been a documented case of a griz attacking someone on horseback. I’m not saying it couldn’t happen, just that it seems unlikely. It’s a bad situation all the way around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
                        I’ve been following this since it happened as unbeknownst to me I am much closer to the situation than I thought. In fact just yesterday we were posted up on a ridge overlooking the drainage in which the incident took place. Through direct contact with people that are very close to the incident there are many issues with the hunters story that I think have been mentioned here. They did capture 2 grizzlies in the same area and killed both on site. Testing on the sow confirmed bear spray was used but obviously ineffective. In regards to his story about being pulled off his horse. I was told by someone who has spent many years chasing game in the mountains here in WY that there has never been a documented case of a griz attacking someone on horseback. I’m not saying it couldn’t happen, just that it seems unlikely. It’s a bad situation all the way around.

Sounds like your hunting may be somewhat messed up with all the search activity around there.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                          Sounds like your hunting may be somewhat messed up with all the search activity around there.

Not really.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post

Smells foul to me. I have a hard time thinking a veteran guide was not loaded for bear while retrieving a downed elk in grizz country. Doesn't add up. I am usually loaded for bear, mountain lion, coyote, chupcabra, sasquatch, etc. when I go into elk country. And for there not be one documented case of a bear attack to people on horseback also brings in to question the legitimacy of the story. I realize anything can happen but it just doesn't add up. Hopefully the truth will reveal itself soon.

Comment

Not being able to locate the pistol is the key. Find the pistol and it will tell us what happened. If it can't be found then the hunter ran off with it and threw it away some where...jmo

Comment

Very fishy for sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X