Shockwave lithotripsy for stones.. who's done it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shockwave lithotripsy for stones.. who's done it

I've had a 6mm stone stuck since 2am Tuesday morning near the top of my ureter. First ever stone to pass, or at least try to pass. Went to ER and spent a night on fluids, but the so called urologist at the hospital wouldn't give me 2 minutes, just gave me tramadol and sent me home saying it should be in my bladder by then. Saw my urologist yesterday, did xrays and it hasn't moved. Options are lithotripsy or go in with the laser. Worried that the shock waves might not break up the stone then I'm out that money. No insurance but do have liberty healthshare, but waiting on them to tell me whether they'll help or not. In the mean time I'm doped up on norco and still in crazy pain. So which procedure should i learn towards based on your experiences? Assuming i can afford it. Also a wake up call that i need to get back to a job with benefits!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

No help. I somehow passed one. Horrible pain. Have not had an energy drink since as my urigolist told me they are #1 cause followed by not enough water. Drink a gallon every day now

Comment

I had litho done on a kidney stone back in 1995. It busted mine up good and I passed all the pieces with zero pain or issues.

Comment

I've had it done twice ... once in 2007 and second time in 2017. Worked both times as it just took several days to pass the broken up stones

Comment

I had mine done many years ago this way. Passing the pieces was a chore. Imagine taking a marble, hitting it with a hammer, then peeing out the little pieces while nurse Betty feeds you more cranberry juice. It is much better than when the stone is stuck. Worst experience of my life overall.

Comment

Makes me nervous when the doc says it doesn't always work and they end up having to go in and get it anyways. But less invasive is much more appealing than a tube going up a one way alley

Comment

And yes, this is the worst pain I've ever felt. And i have a decently high tolerance. This going to be a long weekend, but i still don't even have a solid answer that my healthshare will contribute. Could be a long couple weeks til this thing breaks through itself.... or something bad happens and end up in the ER again. 6mm has not been a good first stone, but I'm an overachiever

Comment

Had it done on a large (9mm) stone back in 2003ish... worked like a charm. Turned the stone to basically powder. Flakes are all that ever showed up in the little strainer they wanted me to pee through.

When i did it. It was stuck in the ureter and the lithotripsy was done in a mobile unit that went from hospital to hospital. It was going to be a full month before it came back to my local hospital
                The Urologist decided to put in a stint to help relieve the pain. The morning of the lithotripsy appointment, they sedated me, wheeled me down and lowered me into the water. That is the last thing I remember. When I woke up 2 hours later. The stone was busted up, the stint had been removed. I got up, got dressed. Walked out and went home....good times
                Last edited by K. Lane; 09-14-2018, 07:55 PM.

Comment

At least try this for 24 hours first if you can stomach it. 1/2 cup olive oil with 1/2 cup lemon juice at least twice a day. The acid helps brake it down and the oil helps it move along. Many stones, had the lithotripsy, many ER nights. Trust me on this one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bonehead View Post
                    At least try this for 24 hours first if you can stomach it. 1/2 cup olive oil with 1/2 cup lemon juice at least twice a day. The acid helps brake it down and the oil helps it move along. Many stones, had the lithotripsy, many ER nights. Trust me on this one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    I'm so nauseous from the pain pills that the thought of that almost did me in. But, I'll see if i can stomach it. Right now i can't even eat, it's almost all water right now. Morphine in the er got me off to a bad start and I've been sideways ever since

Comment

Tell him to put you on flomax and you'll pass it in a day or two. 6mm is nothing to pass if your on flomax everyday. Good luck with your endeavors lol. I've pass approximately 200 since 2013.

Comment

I have had lithotripsy three times. All three stones were at the top of the ureter and 10+ mm. None of them were successful and i had to have surgical removal each time. They always want to try it because it is less invasive but it just doesn’t work on some stones. I won’t have lithotripsy again. Waste of time and money for me. Good luck. The pain is brutal.

Comment

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
                          I have had lithotripsy three times. All three stones were at the top of the ureter and 10+ mm. None of them were successful and i had to have surgical removal each time. They always want to try it because it is less invasive but it just doesn’t work on some stones. I won’t have lithotripsy again. Waste of time and money for me. Good luck. The pain is brutal.
                          Remember what the difference in cost was on your EOB between the 2 procedures? I know they'll be different for me trying to get cash prices but I'm worried about what the total costs will be

Comment

Originally posted by twistedmidnite View Post
                            Tell him to put you on flomax and you'll pass it in a day or two. 6mm is nothing to pass if your on flomax everyday. Good luck with your endeavors lol. I've pass approximately 200 since 2013.
                            Don't suppose there's an OTC version that you know of? Dr never even mentioned it

Comment

Originally posted by AJMag View Post
                              Don't suppose there's an OTC version that you know of? Dr never even mentioned it

Man I don't, call your urologist and ask him for a prescription. It relaxes your urinary tract and lets the stones slide on out.
                              My urologist does have me on over the counter potassium citrate. It supposedly makes your urine where it's harder for stones to form. I get it at Walmart

Comment

Working...
                              X