No announcement yet.

I’m going back to Cali—Again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats on the Rosie! It almost never comes together that quick!

Looking forward to the fishing reports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great hunt! I think you should load that bull in the back of the truck and drive around town for a while. See what kind of response you get from the vegans.

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
        That’s a good Rosie but not a monster!
        Ok gotcha. Either way he is nice. Congrats again.

Comment

Living the dream and well deserved! Congratulations again Doc and thanks again for taking us along.

Comment

Ok here you go!

We left the house at 3 pm to go look at some different country then make our way back to where we hunted I’m the am closer to dark. We saw a bull in the am and found a couple of wallows. For about the first hour all was quiet. We finally came to the end of the logging road we were on and decided to call. We heard a faint bugle and decided to hike in and give it a look. We never got a response and for 10–15 minutes there was not a sound. We were about to give up and then heard something in the brush walking. I got setup and aaron moved back about 40 yards to call. He cow called and sent out a couple soft bugles.

Comment

Congrats

In for the story and flyfishing pics

Comment

Doc,
                Do you prefer the vented or solid blades on the Iron Will? I have been wanting to try them with my longbow. Your post prompted me to order some. Congrats on the hunt.

Comment

Sorry, I had to answer my phone mid story. My travel woes continue!!!! I made a reservation for a rental car in crescent city. I got there and they had no cars available!!!!! I don’t know how that happens. Headed to eureka now and have a reservation. I had reserved a small suv but they called and said they don’t have one. They do have a minivan. It’s “real nice Clarke!”

Comment

Back to the hunt story......
                    We could hear the bull below us and it sounded like he was pacing back and forth. It’s so think and steep you just can’t see. This went on for about 30 minutes and I thought the gig was up. Then the noise in the brush got closer! We were set up and hoping the bull would come by my left. I had shooting lanes to about 25 yards that direction. Straight in from. Of me I could shoot about 15 yards max. Aaron was behind and to my left about 40-50 yards. He cow called a couple more times and the bull was coming!!!! I saw antler tips coming up the mountain towards me at about 30 yards and I hit full draw. I was thinking holy s$&t this might happen day one.

The bull kept coming and his rack looked good enough. I could see his head and neck and he was headed down the trail I was positioned on. At 15 yards I was settling the pin for a frontal shot and he turned to quartering to me. He never saw me and turned broadside at just under 10 yards. I let the arrow fly abd don’t remember aiming or making tre shot. It looked pretty good and was halfway up and just behind the shoulder. The iron will blew through very quickly! The bull spun and went below me. You could hear brush breaking and coughing. I thought he was going down right there but then he stepped out to my left. It was thick and I had no shot at first. I was again at full draw with a vipertrick upfront. He stumbled ahead another step and I could clearly see his head and neck and a small patch of tan where the vitals start. I honestly had about a 3-4 inch window and guessed it to be 30 yards. The arrow made it through and I heard another whack. The bull again turned down the hill and brush was breaking. We backed out and talked about the shots. The first one looked good to me but might be back a touch. The sencknd I had no idea. We gave him an hour and then snuck in from below. We found my second arrow and it was broken. Looked like 10 inches of penetration or so. A couple more sleeps and we found the bull. He only went about 50 yards total.

First shot was double lung and we paced it off later at 9 steps! The iron will had broken ribs going in and out and was stuck in the ground. The viper truck also hit ribs going in and was in the deadly v. It passed through the bulky part of the shoulder and the head actually passed through the frauds ribs. **** good performance from both heads!

Comment

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
                      Doc,
                      Do you prefer the vented or solid blades on the Iron Will? I have been wanting to try them with my longbow. Your post prompted me to order some. Congrats on the hunt.
                      I like them both and carry both. They fly the same for me out to 80 yards. I just feel like for a compound the vented should fly better. The solid may be tougher. Out of a trad bow I would go solid. They are quieter. I have yet to break or damage an iron will on an animal.

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
                        I like them both and carry both. They fly the same for me out to 80 yards. I just feel like for a compound the vented should fly better. The solid may be tougher. Out of a trad bow I would go solid. They are quieter. I have yet to break or damage an iron will on an animal.
                        Thanks. Will order some solids. Good luck with the minivan. Flew into Salt Lake last year with a suburban 4x4 rental confirmed. Went to the rental counter and all they had was a Toyota minivan. Drove that thing all over backroads of Idaho. It bottomed out a few times but it got me there. Hard to look cool when you are rollin in a minivan.

Comment

Boy, these folks are **** excited about their minivans! They are giving me the same rate as an suv and keep talking about how much more a van is!

Comment

I’m gonna rock the van!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lol

Comment

Congrats on the Rosie & the minivan Doc!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X