Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

2018 Houston Texans Season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OB is like pond water. He is just there. Has the team made any progress? No.
    They are basically a 9-7 type team that will stay that way as long as he is there. They are terrible in the draft phase also. As long as he is there excitement will be hard to come by.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
      OB is like pond water. He is just there. Has the team made any progress? No.
      They are basically a 9-7 type team that will stay that way as long as he is there. They are terrible in the draft phase also. As long as he is there excitement will be hard to come by.

Those 9-7 seasons were with garbage, journeyman qb’s. Deshaun tips the scale in our favor and takes that 9-7 team to say 11-5. The league has become a league of parity. From top to bottom games are more competitive regardless of who you are playing. All you can ask for is to be in every game whether you are on the road or at home. Given a franchise qb OB led a “9-7 Texan team” to 11-5. Sure we still lost the close games to good teams when our weaknesses were exploited but we are very close to being a complete and complimentary team. We will learn and get better. Super Bowls are coming to Houston

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post
        Yup could be different with Cal at the helm.

The team never quits on him. From top to bottom they players always play hard for him. We are hardly ever blown out and in every game. You would hear more disgruntled players speaking out if he was a bad coach. That list is now (Brandon brooks who was not resigned after his anxiety problems that caused him to miss games. *this was a big miss letting him go... and DJ Swearinger who was recently dropped by his second nfl team)

4 out of 5 winning seasons in the NFL. Regardless of the weak division or whatever ppls argument is it’s still the NFL, you play other teams out of your division. You can’t tell me it’s easy to win, if that were the case hue Jackson would have “lucked” into more wins in Cleveland.

He is a good offensive mind as well. Play calling can be suspect but he is a very smart offensive coach.

You really believe that?

A good offensive mind coach doesn't have designed run plays for his QB to take a beating like he has been. A QB is supposed to run when he needs to...and not beforehand

I say he is bottom 5 in offensive mind...his clock management is atrocious, and dont get me started on play calling....

Comment

I think you spent a lot of time chugging beers and skipped some of the game

Colts game:

O’Brien threw the ball on first down 19 of 27 times... and a few were sacks and scrambles that were actually passes too that I counted as runs.

Twice he went for it on 4th down and did not take the field goal. Hindsight 2 field goals and the score late would have made it a one possession game.

OB didn’t integrate any of Watson’s college tape??? I’m sorry but there were no jet sweeps, reverse jet sweet options, zone reads or designed qb runs with Fitzgerald, Hoyer, Mallet, or Osweiller. O’Brien has completely changed his offensive scheme and developed it around Watson. If you don’t see that you need to study more of the x’s and o’s

O’Brien is 31-1 in the second half with a lead. I’m pretty sure closing people out when he has the lead is not one of his weaknesses. Now it may be maddening to some people to get the lead then grind on people with the run and clock in the second half but it works. The colts just did that to us in this playoff game. *Now if you had said OB offense are not built to come back from deficits I would agree with you. It’s not his style of football. If you actually watch the patriots they follow this same game plan. While sometimes they do blow people out they generally play lots of close games where they get out to a lead then run the clock out the rest of the game.

Blaming everything on OB is just a weak take imo. When you look at everything across the board it’s not the problem. People that keep talking about his first 3 yrs of mediocrity without a franchise QB and a different GM is not really data points that I use to evaluate his performance. It’s been pretty impressive watching the Texans with Watson at QB as whole. I look forward to another year or two with him and an OB led team.

Take all your stats to your Coach Fantasy Draft.

Look at his overall history and those numbers won't look so good.

They mean nothing when the final seconds tick off the clock.

I will admit he was hamstrung with Rick Smith as the GM. That was a big issue since they didn't get along. The **** hit the fan when Smith got OZ without even letting OB meet him first. Paying a guy $37 million cash that couldn't throw a football and being forced to start him was a terrible position to be in.

Listen, I don't despise the guy at all. I was as fired up as everyone else when he got hired. Here we are years later and its the same old batch of excuses.

"I didn't have the team ready."
          "We had great practices all week and we just didn't execute today"
          "We got to get past this loss and look towards next Sunday."

Here's a stat to chew on: .525 as a head coach here.

This year was his best at .688.

Three straight 9-7, 4-12 and 11-5.

I will eat all the crow you can serve me up if he finds a way to get it done. I just don't see it happening. At all. Most of his success comes from playing in a lousy division. If we were in another division without a doubt his record would be comical at best.

The team never looks prepared when we play a worthy opponent, looks like a genius when we beat crummy teams.

Comment

Originally posted by MacDaddy67 View Post
            You really believe that?

A good offensive mind coach doesn't have designed run plays for his QB to take a beating like he has been. A QB is supposed to run when he needs to...and not beforehand

I say he is bottom 5 in offensive mind...his clock management is atrocious, and dont get me started on play calling....

I’m not sure what you were watching. He hardly had any designed an runs all season in order to protect Watson. I think it was somewhere in the 20’s of actual designed runs for Watson in the first 16 weeks. You can’t count the hits Watson takes after scrambling from a pass as a designed run. In game 16, yes they opened up the offense and had 15-20 designed runs for Watson. This was the game plan all along. Get to the postseason with a healthy Watson then unleash him. They put it on tape for the Colts to have to gameplan for and they needed to run it for reps. They got behind the Colts quick and abandoned the run too early imo. It was tough with the way the colts were scoring though.

Our offense has been in shambles since Cleveland for pretty much one reason. Watson’s inability to react from slot and corner blitzes. Its been a gameplan that has been used repeatedly By defenses since. He still hasn’t reacted to it well and it has cost him in every game since.

Brady’s best season statistically ever was with OB as the OC and playcaller. That’s not a low 5 offensive mind. I’m not comparing Brady to Deshaun but let’s just pump the brakes and let this develop. One guy has started 267 games and one has started 25.

Comment

Originally posted by JHT View Post

I will admit he was hamstrung with Rick Smith as the GM. That was a big issue since they didn't get along. The **** hit the fan when Smith got OZ without even letting OB meet him first. Paying a guy $37 million cash that couldn't throw a football and being forced to start him was a terrible position to be in.

Listen, I don't despise the guy at all. I was as fired up as everyone else when he got hired. Here we are years later and its the same old batch of excuses.

I will eat all the crow you can serve me up if he finds a way to get it done. I just don't see it happening. At all. Most of his success comes from playing in a lousy division. If we were in another division without a doubt his record would be comical at best.

The team never looks prepared when we play a worthy opponent, looks like a genius when we beat crummy teams.

Stats are facts. Like I said he led teams to 9-7 despite the qb’s not bc of them.

You can’t get me to hate a guy for always taking the high road and the blame. That’s never going to change. That’s been a day 1 philosophy he won’t deviate from. He takes all the blame and give the players the praise. He takes care of it in house after that. That’s why he has always been so respected as a coach and leader from the players.

Last edited by Tshelly; 01-08-2019, 11:19 AM.

Comment

If you actually listen to his full post game press conferences, then his Monday morning press conference, as well as his Monday pm radio show. He will usually answer most questions in depth, sometimes he will discuss scheme and why they went with something, sometimes he’ll own up and say he made a ****ty call. When you want a splashy answer, you are never going to get it from him.

Last edited by Tshelly; 01-08-2019, 11:21 AM.

Comment

I’m not sure what you were watching. He hardly had any designed an runs all season in order to protect Watson. I think it was somewhere in the 20’s of actual designed runs for Watson in the first 16 weeks. You can’t count the hits Watson takes after scrambling from a pass as a designed run. In game 16, yes they opened up the offense and had 15-20 designed runs for Watson. This was the game plan all along. Get to the postseason with a healthy Watson then unleash him. They put it on tape for the Colts to have to gameplan for and they needed to run it for reps. They got behind the Colts quick and abandoned the run too early imo. It was tough with the way the colts were scoring though.

Our offense has been in shambles since Cleveland for pretty much one reason. Watson’s inability to react from slot and corner blitzes. Its been a gameplan that has been used repeatedly By defenses since. He still hasn’t reacted to it well and it has cost him in every game since.

Brady’s best season statistically ever was with OB as the OC and playcaller. That’s not a low 5 offensive mind. I’m not comparing Brady to Deshaun but let’s just pump the brakes and let this develop. One guy has started 267 games and one has started 25.

So other teams coaches came up with a game plan to exploit a flaw they see with our offense and our coaches do nothing to prevent this?

Gotcha.

Nobody hates the guy. I don't. I just see history repeating itself year after year as usual with him as a coach.

Cheers to Mediocrity in 2019!!!!

Comment

So other teams coaches came up with a game plan to exploit a flaw they see with our offense and our coaches do nothing to prevent this?

Gotcha.

Nobody hates the guy. I don't. I just see history repeating itself year after year as usual with him as a coach.

Cheers to Mediocrity in 2019!!!!

They tried. It was talked about weekly as the receivers and Watson tried to correct it. It was exploited repeatedly as the injuries piled on. If you noticed they spent half the time trying to get Vincent smith lined up correctly in the playoff game. Inexperienced in both the receivers and qb compounded the situation. It’s the NFL playoffs. A different animal for rookie qb’s in most all situations.

Comment

does this turn to an offseason thread now?

Comment

It turned into an off season thread about halfway through the 2nd quarter.

Comment

Working...
                        X