Average dove shooter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smart View Post
    It’s not tough or rocket science. You don’t need to count the casings. Put two boxes in. Count what you have left over after a limit. Subtract from 50...voila!!
    Rocket Science Didn't say I didn't know how. Just said I never felt the need to unless we were having a little dollar bird showdown or something. Other than that, its been 30 plus years of who freakin knows. Not sure how in the world they come up with a "average"

Comment

We shot about 200 rounds on Saturday and ended up with 11 birds. It was a blast. It was mainly the kids shooting and I was watching.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
        I have huge ups and downs. I have gotten a limit in a box of shells and then given up after 3 boxes and 5 doves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Me to.

Last year in uvalde I wanted to shoot my O/U 20. I dumped 4 boxes in my vest. Came back to the truck with 6 or 8 left and one bird.

Swapped to my 12 and hit a limit in less than a box

This past weekend wasn't many birds. Think I killed 6 in 8 shots

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
        Last edited by Quackerbox; 09-04-2018, 04:43 AM.

Comment

i sat my shotgun down Saturday. let my 2 boys keep at it, so i could make fun of them without them having any come backs! i was terrible!!! shoulder is sore and have almost zip to show for it! they had the best time of their lives though, but if we were counting on them to feed us we would starve!

Comment

I'm not talking about my box to bird ratio but i will say i had an absolutely great time this past weekend.

Also, the limbsaver shoulder pad sleeve i bought.... game changer.

Comment

I've killed 15 in 26, but that takes cooperation from the birds as well. I can get it done in two boxes pretty easy, but I like to try a lot of long shots, and that throws the average off. If I couldn't do better than a bird every 6-7 shots, I'd quit.

Comment

It all depends on how the birds are flying. If it is slow and the birds are flying high or not right past me I can burn through some shells. If it is cupcake shots at 10-30 yards I bet my average is about 50-60%.

Comment

TPWD actually studied this in their report on steel vs lead. One dove in the bag for every ~4.5 shots in their scientifically laid out study. Which is about 5 doves per box. Everyone has their good days and bad days tho!

Here's the study if anyone missed it the first time around a couple years ago.

Last edited by duckboy007; 09-04-2018, 10:14 AM.

Comment

TPWD did a survey several years ago the average hunter hits one dove in 25 shots. I usually will hit 3-4 per box. I guess I shouldn't get so mad at myself for missing LOL

Comment

If the action is hot and heavy my percentage goes WAY up and a limit in less than 2 boxes is common, occasionally with 1 box.

If it's slow and I have time to think about the shot... I'm absolutely terrible.

Comment

I am not your average shooter. I usually get 2 limits of birds PER box.

Comment

Originally posted by elliscountyhog View Post
                          We are talking about boxes not cases LOL

Comment

elliscountyhog with his 2 boxes of shells...

Click image for larger version

Name:	7959139_0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	24551626

Comment

Comment

Pretty much sums up my dove hunts in this clip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X