food stamps for cows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CoolHandLuke View Post
    If you can’t afford to feed your livestock during a drought you should sell them.
    This.

No one understands that the average rancher (on range/pasture, not a feedlot) is raising GRASS. He uses the cows to harvest the grass.

Overgrazing during a drought greatly reduces plant health and slows vigor once it begins to rain, which reduces stocking rates and the pounds of beef that can be produced when normal conditions return.

Dumping money into feed, especially long term, is not profitable.
    Last edited by TacticalCowboy; 08-23-2018, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
      My buddy makes his income solely on cattle, he said that the drought relief kicked in a week or 2 back I believe and they pay out based on the 0-4 level of drought conditions your located in. I believe they factor it based on the set government rate of head per acre, like 1 cow per 4 acres or something.

and for people saying you should of saved money when cattle prices were high, when your buying / selling feeder steers over 3-4 month periods it's not about the current price. It's about the margins. Those high prices mean high cost to buy.

and for the record, he is ok he isn't having to sell, but he doesn't over graze.

Is this a government handout or insurance?

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
        Is this a government handout or insurance?
        Both.

FSA offers drought insurance in case of a bad year. What really ****** me off is the fact that they offer a “livestock feed program” to help stockmen hang onto livestock that should have been sold months ago.

I work for NRCS (FSA’s) sister agency, and everyday drive past places that have no more grass than northbound I-35. I’d MUCH rather FSA offer a buyout for livestock during drought conditions, rather than pay for the livestock to remain on a piece of land and beat it to oblivion while consuming supplemental hay/cake.
        Last edited by TacticalCowboy; 08-23-2018, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
          Both.

FSA offers drought insurance in case of a bad year. What really ****** me off is the fact that they offer a “livestock feed program” to help stockmen hang onto livestock that should have been sold months ago.

I work for NRCS (FSA’s) sister agency, and everyday drive past places that have no more grass than northbound I-35. I’d MUCH rather FSA offer a buyout for livestock during drought conditions, rather than pay for the livestock to remain on a piece of land and beat it to oblivion while consuming supplemental hay/cake.
          Oh Geez.... I always knew Ag was heavily subsidized but I didn't know it was this bad.

Side note. Maybe I should get into Agriculture.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
            Oh Geez.... I always knew Ag was heavily subsidized but I didn't know it was this bad.

Side note. Maybe I should get into Agriculture.
            You should see beginner farmer/rancher rates.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
              You should see beginner farmer/rancher rates.
              What kind of rates? Loan rates? Failure rates? Rate of return?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Farmdog View Post
                This thread isnt interesting. There is a lack of understanding that has no bottom.
                Truth

Comment

I’m all hat and no cattle on this topic. Prayers up for all farmers in these tough times!

Comment

Working...
                  X