• Show
Clear All

I went to OReilly a little while ago.
    Blaster - check
    proper drill bit - check
    threading tap - check
    Threaded inserts - check
    grease gun - check

I'll have a report soon enough. Great suggestions here. The green screen never disappoints!

Comment

That should break it free. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by orlybow View Post
        Heat it with a torch and then some water. The quick expansion and contraction of the metal will break it free in no time.
        yep

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
          I found this and copied/pasted: Machinist Workshop magazine studied the most popular penetrating oils to see what did the best job of removing rusted bolts by measuring the pounds of torque required to loosen the bolt. I have no idea how they standardized the same rustiness in each nut/bolt they tested, but it offers some degree of a ranking, whether accurate or not.

These were the results they published:

Penetrating oil: Average load:

None...................................516 lbs.

WD-40.................................238 lbs.

PB Blaster.............................214 lbs.

Liquid Wrench........................127 lbs.

Kano Kroil..............................106 lbs.

ATF-Acetone mix......................53 lbs.

“The Auto Trans fluid- acetone mix was a "home-brew" mix of 50-50 ATF-acetone.

The home brew tested better than the commercial products in this test. Note that Liquid Wrench is about as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.”

I've been in the machine shop/Forging Die business for 45 years.
          This is what we use at the shop and I use at home rebuilding old cars. Inexpensive and as good or better than everything else out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've heard to heat it up(not glowing hot) then touch a wax candle to it and it will wick into the parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Mconner View Post
              Then it wouldn’t be a bad idea to drill and tap that sleeve insert grease fitting and grease away
              POST OF THE YEAR!!!

Two out of nine gates are done. Now quiet as a mouse. Love it!

Comment

Good to hear it worked out, keep em lubed, glad to help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Trey get you some Kroil Oil from Kano Laboratories and soak if down, it's a creeping oil and will even crawl up hill. If it doesn't bust loose after sitting over night I'd be surprised. I get it off Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                    I found this and copied/pasted: Machinist Workshop magazine studied the most popular penetrating oils to see what did the best job of removing rusted bolts by measuring the pounds of torque required to loosen the bolt. I have no idea how they standardized the same rustiness in each nut/bolt they tested, but it offers some degree of a ranking, whether accurate or not.

These were the results they published:

Penetrating oil: Average load:
                    None...................................516 lbs.
                    WD-40.................................238 lbs.
                    PB Blaster.............................214 lbs.
                    Liquid Wrench........................127 lbs.
                    Kano Kroil..............................106 lbs.
                    ATF-Acetone mix......................53 lbs.

“The Auto Trans fluid- acetone mix was a "home-brew" mix of 50-50 ATF-acetone.

The home brew tested better than the commercial products in this test. Note that Liquid Wrench is about as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.”
                    Never heard of the ATF and Acetone mix, that is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I was so excited about the greased hinges, I totally forgot to report on the original topic, breaking that stuck hinge loose. PB Blaster freed it up in about 10 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
                        POST OF THE YEAR!!!

Two out of nine gates are done. Now quiet as a mouse. Love it!
                        Winning!

Comment

Originally posted by texanatc View Post
                          I've heard to heat it up(not glowing hot) then touch a wax candle to it and it will wick into the parts.
                          I work in an engine machine shop and use this trick several times a week. Exhaust bolts are a *****!

Comment

Working...
                          X