No announcement yet.

Breaking a Rust 'Bond'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found this and copied/pasted: Machinist Workshop magazine studied the most popular penetrating oils to see what did the best job of removing rusted bolts by measuring the pounds of torque required to loosen the bolt. I have no idea how they standardized the same rustiness in each nut/bolt they tested, but it offers some degree of a ranking, whether accurate or not.

These were the results they published:

Penetrating oil: Average load:
    None...................................516 lbs.
    WD-40.................................238 lbs.
    PB Blaster.............................214 lbs.
    Liquid Wrench........................127 lbs.
    Kano Kroil..............................106 lbs.
    ATF-Acetone mix......................53 lbs.

“The Auto Trans fluid- acetone mix was a "home-brew" mix of 50-50 ATF-acetone.

The home brew tested better than the commercial products in this test. Note that Liquid Wrench is about as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.”

Comment

We use break free a lot at work, the stuff just flat out works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Call a buddy over and get him to go in the pen. Then turn your meanest bull loose, that gate will start working real quick.

Comment

Heat it with a torch and then some water. The quick expansion and contraction of the metal will break it free in no time.

Comment

I have always had good results with brake fluid on really rusted items, pliers, side cutters, etc. Brake fluid penetrates small areas quickly, followed up with some sort of penetrating oil after they loosen up. Kroil products work really well as previously mentioned.

Comment

I'd try using a hammer to try and seperate the metals. Works on bolt going into threaded holes. If that dont work heat it up with torch.

Comment

Truck/Tractor to push or pull. Or heat it up and and should release.

Comment

Try pushing on the other end

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                    I found this and copied/pasted: Machinist Workshop magazine studied the most popular penetrating oils to see what did the best job of removing rusted bolts by measuring the pounds of torque required to loosen the bolt. I have no idea how they standardized the same rustiness in each nut/bolt they tested, but it offers some degree of a ranking, whether accurate or not.

These were the results they published:

Penetrating oil: Average load:
                    None...................................516 lbs.
                    WD-40.................................238 lbs.
                    PB Blaster.............................214 lbs.
                    Liquid Wrench........................127 lbs.
                    Kano Kroil..............................106 lbs.
                    ATF-Acetone mix......................53 lbs.

“The Auto Trans fluid- acetone mix was a "home-brew" mix of 50-50 ATF-acetone.

The home brew tested better than the commercial products in this test. Note that Liquid Wrench is about as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.”
                    I am familiar with this comparison test, as well as a few others that were less "scientific", but recorded the same results. Penny for penny, ATF/Acetone (or MEK, or laquer thinner) works the best at a fraction of the cost. A half of a cup of ATF and a half of a cup of acetone will be more than enough for those two hinges.

cricman

Comment

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
                      Pb blaster

Comment

Looks like you should be able to set a jack under it and lift some from where it sits.

Comment

Originally posted by SoTXAg06 View Post
                          PB Blaster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          This

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

some of you guys don't know the difference between breaking the rust bond and breaking the hinge off the post!

Comment

Originally posted by jlp04c View Post
                              can pb blaster be used to free a choke tube stuck in a shotgun?
                              I had that happen one time, and the gunsmith said that's what he did to unstick it.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                                Rope and bumper of pickup truck.

Must say, pretty ashamed of these citified folk telling you to add all this perfume crap to a simple country issue.
                                bet they put lime in their beer too...

Had the same thought as you until I saw torquing it was bending and threatening to break the weld on the connector between the set post and hinge.

Comment

Working...
                                X