Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Duck Season 2018-2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
    Yessir. That moment right before light when you can hear em but cant see em and the ones that buzz you like a jet airplane. Hard to beat....

I scouted a new spot yesterday with lots of flooded mesquite trees and found em in there thick. Right before light this morning we had em buzzing all over and decoying right at our feet. By far the coolest thing I’ve seen while duck hunting. We waited like 10 minutes after shooting light just watching them decoy because they were doing it so well. Could have bagged more birds but the experience we got was amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Finally got mad enough at them to go this morning and had an easy 2 man limit despite BOTH of us having shotgun issues during the hunt.

I took a new guy with me. He is actually an experienced waterfowler but just move to the area from east Texas, figured it would be a good way to get to know him. He was in awe at the number of teal we had buzzing the decoys. Hoping we can stay wet so I can get him into some mallards and pintail later.

Sorry no pics today, we were running late for church! Nothing like coming in last to bible study wearing camo and soaked clothes (on top of gun issues we both had leaky waders ��)

Comment

Finished it out with a lil 4 man limit.

Comment

Duck Season 2018-2019

We didn’t limit every hunt but ended up with 62 birds over 2 weeks. We had a blast. Can’t wait for big duck.

Comment

Landowner at one of the places I have permission to duck & turkey hunt at called me this week and said there were a bunch of ducks on one of the ponds. Headed out yesterday to hunt without having scouted it.

It was pretty slow. Only saw these two and they came back with us. The rest of the ducks in the ponds were grebes. Fun morning with the brown dog though. Can't beat that

Did some looking around the rest of the property and 4 ponds that were bare dirt last year are completely full now. Hopefully they fill up nicely this winter.

Comment

How many of y’all use a 20 gauge for duck hunting? I’m planning to buy a new gun and have tossed around the idea of getting it in a 20 gauge. I know it will work but does sacrifice of power give enough reason to stick with a 12? I just like the 20 gauge shell and use one for dove from time to time, I however have no experience with it on ducks.

Comment

20s will work fine for ducks. No experience with 20s on geese. 3” #2s Hevi-shot 20s with a good choke is bad medicine.

That being said I would highly recommends sticking with a 12ga inertia-driven semi auto preferably wrapped in some camo pattern.

Your first duck gun is your primary work horse. You should be able to shoot any length shell, not have to worry about jamming, and not be worried about rust. If I have to put waders on I won’t take my 20 gauge benelli. too nice of a gun and I’m fussy over it getting dirty.

The A-5 gets thrown around and beat on because it’s camo wrapped.

All in all a think you can do a lot more with a 12.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ776 View Post
                  20s will work fine for ducks. No experience with 20s on geese. 3” #2s Hevi-shot 20s with a good choke is bad medicine.

That being said I would highly recommends sticking with a 12ga inertia-driven semi auto preferably wrapped in some camo pattern.

Your first duck gun is your primary work horse. You should be able to shoot any length shell, not have to worry about jamming, and not be worried about rust. If I have to put waders on I won’t take my 20 gauge benelli. too nice of a gun and I’m fussy over it getting dirty.

The A-5 gets thrown around and beat on because it’s camo wrapped.

All in all a think you can do a lot more with a 12.

Thanks for the input, I’m currently shooting just a black synthetic mossberg model 88 in 12 gauge, shoots the ducks dead and is cheap so I don’t really mind if it gets beat up. Im definitely getting a camo pattern gun when I get my new duck gun. You made a good point on geese, I’m not sure how well a 20 will do on them. Right now I’m trying to decide between a beretta a300 and a stoeger m3000. Also may look into the Winchester sx4 if I want to go a little higher in price range.

Comment

I shoot a 20 a lot at ducks. Prefer it more than my 12. I shoot 3 in #3's and have no issues.

Comment

Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post
                      Landowner at one of the places I have permission to duck & turkey hunt at called me this week and said there were a bunch of ducks on one of the ponds. Headed out yesterday to hunt without having scouted it.

It was pretty slow. Only saw these two and they came back with us. The rest of the ducks in the ponds were grebes. Fun morning with the brown dog though. Can't beat that

Did some looking around the rest of the property and 4 ponds that were bare dirt last year are completely full now. Hopefully they fill up nicely this winter.
                      I didn't realize teal season was still on

Comment

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post

It’s not

Comment

Teal closed on the 9-29

Comment

Oops!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
                              Teal closed on the 9-29

Nope 9-30-18

Comment

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
                                Originally posted by rattler7696 View Post
                                Oops!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                                He didn't say he killed them that morning. Those were from Sunday.....

Comment

Working...
                                X