Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Florida Stand Your Ground Shooting. Prison time or Miller time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
    Cowardly, tragic, and avoidable in several different ways. The video is just sickening.

That being said, if some crazy older guy is yelling at my wife outside of a gas station, there’s a decent chance that I hit him in the mouth.

We don’t know the whole story (and taking a handicapped spots gets under my skin, too), but you don’t yell at a woman and you don’t shoot someone for getting knocked on your *** for yelling at a woman.

There are a whole lot of cowards out there with guns and that is what’s scary to me.
    If you escalate from a verbal argument to assault you should be ready to receive deadly force back. You chose to make it physical not the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post

Something to consider, how fast can you draw, aim and fire?? The shooter might have made the decision to pull the trigger sooner than he actually took the shot.
      Way before

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
        If you escalate from a verbal argument to assault you should be ready to receive deadly force back. You chose to make it physical not the other way around.
        Gonna be a lot of dead kids in elementary, jr high and high school with this logic

Comment

Originally posted by Pilgrim View Post
          Gonna be a lot of dead kids in elementary, jr high and high school with this logic
          This is the streets of real life and an assault on street. Not junior high playground wrestling.

Comment

This is the streets of real life and an assault on street. Not junior high playground wrestling.
            I don’t know about your streets of real life but I saw a lot worse than this in jr high and high school.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
              For those of you saying a shove is no big deal, you need to stop watching movies. Muggings/assaults don’t happen where the bad guy steps out In front of you, stares you down and you have a chance to draw and shoot it out. Your going to get blind sided by a more violent individual who is already acting on an advantage. If you get shoved to the ground you are already in serious trouble. If you don’t immediately react in a more violent manner you’re going to get severely injured, or worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              It was a pretty ruff blind sided take-down to the concrete by the diseased. The shooter has every right to feel threaten at this point. From the video it looked like the shooter had some trouble walking, or balance issues ????.

Originally posted by Head Hunter View Post
              Who initiated the confrontation? The dumb *** Barney Fife with the CHL. The parking spot violation was absolutely none of the old mans business. Because you have a gun and a permit does not give you the right enforce the law. He is not a cop or deputy. The whole thing could have been avoided. If you decide to go around enforcing every violation you see in the public realm and decide to confront people like this. Well, We will be reading and posting about your dumb decisions too.
              In Houston there's a program where property owners and neighborhood patrols can do just that. They can even issue valid handicap parking citations.

Even the best shooting is not going to be a good day. The police made their call on all the evidence, not just a video without sound. Do you stop the threat, or let him get to his car/firearm?

Comment

I’ll start by saying that I have no idea what was being said in the situation depicted in the video. I realize that I’m just ASSuming what MIGHT have been happening based on the look of the video.

However, if you were cussing my wife (especially in front of my child), I would most likely “assault you”. Maybe then you’d shoot me, I don’t know. I’m not some super tough guy, that’s just the way I was raised.

I guess I should know that someone cowardly enough to cuss a woman & child would be cowardly enough to shoot a man for defending her honor.

You shoot someone for pushing you on the ground in a situation like that one, you’re a coward, law or not. No one will change my mind on that.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter007 View Post
                  Lots of people on this thread have no business having a CHL.
                  Yep and some were either playing pocket pool, making spit balls or both while the instructor was talking and teaching about the responsibilities one must carry while being licensed to carry.

Lots of Doc Holidays on here..

Comment

For the record I wouldn’t have shot in that situation but what we personally think means squat. The law depends on whether the person in question felt further assault or injury would occur. We can arm chair it all day but none of us were that person in the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
                      I’ll start by saying that I have no idea what was being said in the situation depicted in the video. I realize that I’m just ASSuming what MIGHT have been happening based on the look of the video.

However, if you were cussing my wife (especially in front of my child), I would most likely “assault you”. Maybe then you’d shoot me, I don’t know. I’m not some super tough guy, that’s just the way I was raised.

I guess I should know that someone cowardly enough to cuss a woman & child would be cowardly enough to shoot a man for defending her honor.

You shoot someone for pushing you on the ground in a situation like that one, you’re a coward, law or not. No one will change my mind on that.

I agree. He most likely heard the boyfriend coming. As a detective, I would have to look at this guys whole history. Has he got into these types of confrontations before? Like arguing with patrons at this store. What do his neighbors say about him? etc...etc. I think the shove was an act of aggression no doubt but out there clowning like he was - he had to know that he was going to get some kind of resistance from whomever she was waiting on. It could be a mental health case where the shooter isn't "all there" in the mind. If that's the case we really do need to take a look at who we are letting walk around with fire arms.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail
                        Looks like Mom let the junior high kids on the computer late tonight.
                        Its not that late..

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                          Yep and some were either playing pocket pool, making spit balls or both while the instructor was talking and teaching about the responsibilities one must carry while being licensed to carry.

Lots of Doc Holidays on here..

It’s a discussion based on law. Based on the way the law is written the guy may have a case, that is it. From the video I definitely wouldn’t have shot. Discussion points were simply brought up.

Also, technically doc holiday sided with the guys who didn’t want people carrying guns[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You can't legally shoot an unarmed person.. Oh you CAN shoot them but you will go to jail 99.9% of the time... If that being a tuff guy to you then knock yourself out.. Personally I would rather take a azz whoopin, if that's what happens, than go to prison... I learned a long time ago that if you go looking for trouble, a fight, not to be surprised if I found it.. Starting that s h i t and then pulling a gun a killing that guy, who was only defending his, was a coward azz act IMO..

Oh and I've had a nickle plated .45 stuck to my head.. Yea. Been there.. It ain't cool..
                            Last edited by PondPopper; 07-23-2018, 08:01 PM.

Comment

You can't legally shoot an unarmed person.. Oh you CAN shoot them but you will go to jail 99.9% of the time... If that being a tuff guy to you then knock yourself out.. Personally I would rather take a azz whoopin, if that's what happens, than go to prison... I learned a long time ago that if you go looking for trouble, a fight, not to be surprised if I found it.. Starting that s h i t and then pulling a gun a killing that guy, who was only defending his, was a coward azz act IMO..
                              See my post above. Not re typing it. Not what I would have done and maybe not what you would have done but that means squat. Along with what you “think” about the law. It all has to do with that person in that situation.

Comment

You can't legally shoot an unarmed person....
                                Wrong

Comment

Working...
                                X