The Backcountry Gear Thread!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by perow View Post
    Maybe I missed it but what are you guys packing as far as a first aid kit?
    Travel light and fast with the Ultralight/Watertight .5, which weighs only 3.6 oz. With enough first aid supplies for a pair of adventurers heading out for 1-2 days, this 100% waterproof kit is ideal for ultralight hiking, kayaking, climbing, skiing, and mountain biking.

with some Advil pm and Claritin thrown in

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
      I never thought of citric acid for meat. Does it affect the flavor any?
      I actually don't know. I used to use chili powder before finding a lot of Alaska guys swearing by citric acid for long waits on the gravel bar after early success. I'm honestly giving you a tip that I haven't tested personally, but I can point you to half a dozen first hand write-ups by guys who use it all the time.

I have the citric acid in my pack and trust the science of it, but I have yet to need it. I've only killed deer the past couple years, and in favorable circumstances.

However, when using chili powder, the crust that forms from drying the meat will get trimmed off when I butcher it. The process will be the same with citric acid and I won't really eat any of it.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
        Hey guys here is something we haven’t talked about yet. Meat bags. I had the BOMB bags, Boned Out Meat Bags for my elk hunt last year and they were awesome. Unfortunately the processor I took my bull to didn’t give them back to me and I forgot after a few weeks to go get them.

This was my meat tree that I made. Kept the meat cool even in 80• weather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Obviously keeping the meat out of the sun, cool and dry helps but did you use anything to help with preventing the meat from spoiling??

This is my biggest concern as I will be hunting solo. How cool was it getting at night on a regular bases??

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          I've put together and tested a couple of test meals yesterday and today.

Shepherd's Pie - hearty and tasty! Very likely to make the rotation!
          [ATTACH]916216[/ATTACH]

Seafood/corn Chowda!

This was fantastic! A few tweaks and this might be on the menu a couple of different nights!

Chili or Stroganoff are up next in the taste lab.

That looks like a taster meal in the bowl... Any plans on doing a video on you food prep??

Comment

Does anyone have any suggestions for a lightweight hammock? I just found out 2 days ago that I hit a 2nd draw Archery deer tag in Nevada. It looks like it will be pretty warm, and I wouldn’t mind trying something new. I have a chinook tarp I bivy under a bunch, so could rig that up for rain. I’ll throw in my BA fly creek ul 2, but really want to try a hammock for early season.

I’ve got a complete shift from this backpacking style planned for late sept-early oct. Headed for the fluffy white goats in BC with potential below freezing temps. Really looking forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
              I never thought of citric acid for meat. Does it affect the flavor any?

I use it and haven't noticed any affect on flavor
              Everything you want to know about using citric acid on game

Comment

What’s is everyone’s thoughts on the tenzing packs?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Martin View Post
                  Does anyone have any suggestions for a lightweight hammock? I just found out 2 days ago that I hit a 2nd draw Archery deer tag in Nevada. It looks like it will be pretty warm, and I wouldn’t mind trying something new. I have a chinook tarp I bivy under a bunch, so could rig that up for rain. I’ll throw in my BA fly creek ul 2, but really want to try a hammock for early season.

I’ve got a complete shift from this backpacking style planned for late sept-early oct. Headed for the fluffy white goats in BC with potential below freezing temps. Really looking forward to it.

Check the area out. There may not be many trees to hang a hammock.

Comment

I don't have it so can't vouch, but Outdoor Vitals has a UL hammock and suspension system.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

I have wanted to be a hammock guy so bad and have tried several times but I just don't sleep in them. That being said, I spent some $$ experimenting and the best one I owned (after a Hennessy) was from Simply Light Designs. If you want ultralight for packing purposes, custom/semi-custom is the way to go. The one I got from SLD was double layer with openings sewn in so you can insert an inflatable and insulated sleeping pad. You still probably have to take a bottom quilt unless you really like sleeping cold.

Comment

What are you using it for? Every tenzing I’ve come across has bad zippers and a terrible poly carbonate frame that bends way too much for heavy hauling...and doesn’t have usable load lifters. For whitetail hunting, sure. Hiking out a bull, you can absolutely do it, but it won’t be fun. If you don’t want to drop coin on a higher end pack, a Kelty Cache hauler works pretty darn well. It can be loud and not super comfortable, but the frame will transfer weight to your hips and it won’t break on you. I’ve personally hauled two bone in rear quarters off a bull in one, it was not fun but the pack worked just fine. Just because all of us dumb arses spend too much money and mental gymnastics on this stuff, don’t fall into the trap of gear over tags.

Originally posted by perow View Post
                        What’s is everyone’s thoughts on the tenzing packs?

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                          What are you using it for? Every tenzing I’ve come across has bad zippers and a terrible poly carbonate frame that bends way too much for heavy hauling...and doesn’t have usable load lifters. For whitetail hunting, sure. Hiking out a bull, you can absolutely do it, but it won’t be fun. If you don’t want to drop coin on a higher end pack, a Kelty Cache hauler works pretty darn well. It can be loud and not super comfortable, but the frame will transfer weight to your hips and it won’t break on you. I’ve personally hauled two bone in rear quarters off a bull in one, it was not fun but the pack worked just fine. Just because all of us dumb arses spend too much money and mental gymnastics on this stuff, don’t fall into the trap of gear over tags.

Thanks-my goal is to chase bulls eventually and I can get a decent deal on a tenzing but just wasn’t sure about how well if would work out

Comment

6 weeks out and I'm really training my butt off. Down to 214 which is well over 50lbs under my starting weight when we first planned this hunt.

So aside from the obvious first objective on weight reduction being internal, I'm also obsessing now about lightening my pack. My shelter and sleep system have changed at least 3 times and I'm now down in the ultralight backpacking realm. One big remaining question is personal protection. Is a sidearm or bear spray necessary for the Gunnison area of Colorado?

Comment

I won a Sixsite Gunnison jacket at the Full Draw Film Tour. Anybody have experience with this brand?
                              It seems well made but after looking at there website everything is pretty pricey!

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                                6 weeks out and I'm really training my butt off. Down to 214 which is well over 50lbs under my starting weight when we first planned this hunt.

So aside from the obvious first objective on weight reduction being internal, I'm also obsessing now about lightening my pack. My shelter and sleep system have changed at least 3 times and I'm now down in the ultralight backpacking realm. One big remaining question is personal protection. Is a sidearm or bear spray necessary for the Gunnison area of Colorado?
                                No, but bear attacks are on the rise. With that said 3 shots is still a distress signal. I haven’t carry a full size pistol ever in CO. My little Taurus 380 TCP fits on the back of my bino harness. I started carrying that as my CC, might as well carry it in the backcountry. The Underwood ammo with Lehigh bullets has impressive penetration.

Idaho or Montana or Wy, full size pistol and or spray

Comment

Working...
                                X