Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

The Backcountry Gear Thread!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great thread. I'll be headed back to Colorado in September.

My opinions/things ive learned.

Wear WOOL socks!

No cotton. You will sweat, and then you'll sit and start to get cold. Wear synthetics or merino.

I usually pack a rain top, but no bottoms unless its forecast to rain all day (which it hardly ever is). You can get most of the tech pants wet and they'll dry quickly.

No need for extra of everything. One base layer is fine. One knife is fine. One pair of underwear is fine. Socks take 2 pair though.

I use a platypus dirty water bag with a sawyer in line filter. QD on my drinking tube and QD coming off the filter. No need to remove the bladder to fill it up. and you can carry twice as much water (both bags full) if you're hiking up high where there no water. Make sure the closed side is on the drinking tube side and the open side is on the filter side. the filter has a squeeze valve to make the water not spill.

Nuun tablets are great for electrolytes. I also carry mtnops or wilderness athlete for the mornings.

single serve olive oil packets are great for extra calories in a mountain house. You should absolutely try to mountain house meals before the trip, because some suck! I carry single serve Justin's nut butter (peanut butter w honey) and Stinger honey waffles for a good snack.

Comment

My filter set up. The blue hose goes to my bladder. The other bag only holds dirty water. Hang it up in a tree when you need water and plug it straight into the bladder.

Comment

Here is some of what I’m running this year for a September archery elk hunt

Tent- Nemo hornet 2p

Sleeping bag- Nemo forte 20

Pack- MR metcalf

Pad- thermarest neo air extherm

Water filter- msr trailshot

Tripod- vortex summit

Bino harness - MR

Boots -Irish setter vaportrek

Clothes- first lite corrugated pants, chama, sawtooth, aerowool shorts, boxers, socks, gloves, black ovis merino thermal pants, kuiu Teton puffy and rain suit.

Jet boil flash

Pillow - my pillow travel size

Some much other stuff too.lol

Comment

^ JustinJ great post. All good points.

Comment

My condensed list

Pack - Exo3500 or 2000 for day hunts from base camp
            Boots - Lowa Tibet GTX (make sure you break them and waterproof them)
            Socks - Differ merino wools. Darn Tough, Fl, and I think my favorite are the Kuius.
            Pants - FL Corregate guide
            Base bottom- Cabelas merino (rarely needed in Sep.)
            Base top - Kuiu merino T
            Mid Top - FL Chama Hoodie (best hunting shirt there is IMO)
            Insulation - FL Uncompaghre puffy
            Rain - Kuiu (sometimes)
            Underwear - FL boxer

Gear
            goal zero battery pack and solar panel
            Garmin GPS (may eventually go iPhone only)
            Jetboil Ti (wish they still made them)
            UL gerber multitool
            Havalon knife w/ blades
            Black ovis game bags

Sleep system
            EE down quilt if dry
            Synthetic marmot sleeping bag if wet
            Tyvek ground cloth
            Jimmy tarps Granite
            thermarest neoair

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
              My filter set up. The blue hose goes to my bladder. The other bag only holds dirty water. Hang it up in a tree when you need water and plug it straight into the bladder.

Good info! Thanks for the visual backup. I was having trouble picturing it.

I wonder if the zipper thing with other vendors has to do with patents?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Good info! Thanks for the visual backup. I was having trouble picturing it.

I wonder if the zipper thing with other vendors has to do with patents?

The black thing is just a bag that holds the dirty bag. I usually don't even take it. It came with the platypus gravity works kit. I just replaced the old platypus filter with a sawyer. It's a platypus dirty bag (the bag shown) a platypus bladder and drinking tube kit as well.
                Last edited by JustinJ; 07-18-2018, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Hey guys here is something we haven’t talked about yet. Meat bags. I had the BOMB bags, Boned Out Meat Bags for my elk hunt last year and they were awesome. Unfortunately the processor I took my bull to didn’t give them back to me and I forgot after a few weeks to go get them.

This was my meat tree that I made. Kept the meat cool even in 80• weather

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                    Hey guys here is something we haven’t talked about yet. Meat bags. I had the BOMB bags, Boned Out Meat Bags for my elk hunt last year and they were awesome. Unfortunately the processor I took my bull to didn’t give them back to me and I forgot after a few weeks to go get them.

Nice bull!! Where did he come from? DIY or outfitted?

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                      Nice bull!! Where did he come from? DIY or outfitted?

DIY New Mexico Gila Elk

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post

I got the BOMB bags and a couple of the Kifaru meat bags. I hope to make a meat tree similar to yours!
                        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Get some Citric acid, for after the kill. You mix it with water, and spray down your quarters to keep flies off it, and inhibit bacterial growth. The acid lowers the pH balance of the meat surface, giving you extra time to get it out of the heat. It comes in powder form, so you just need a little spray bottle, and some water from your supply.

For info on this, see Alaska's fish and game site:

Comment

Maybe I missed it but what are you guys packing as far as a first aid kit?

Comment

Originally posted by perow View Post
                              Maybe I missed it but what are you guys packing as far as a first aid kit?
                              mine is super basic..

Leuko tape(sticks to anything, I actually pre tape my feet)
                              advil
                              zzzQuil
                              a few Gauze
                              maybe a hydrocodone or something
                              My delorme In reach

Basically if I cant fix it with some tape and gauze i will have to hit that SOS

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
                                Get some Citric acid, for after the kill. You mix it with water, and spray down your quarters to keep flies off it, and inhibit bacterial growth. The acid lowers the pH balance of the meat surface, giving you extra time to get it out of the heat. It comes in powder form, so you just need a little spray bottle, and some water from your supply.

For info on this, see Alaska's fish and game site:
                                http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...nting.meatcare
                                I never thought of citric acid for meat. Does it affect the flavor any?

Comment

Working...
                                X