Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Backcountry Gear Thread!!!!!

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
    Needing some advice on a single person tent from the pros here. For September and October hunting, what are benefits to having a floor tent as opposed to floorless? I read where keeping bugs out is a plus, but how bad have you guys experience bugs that make sleeping uncomfortable on the side of a mountain? I suppose it will help with water intrusion as well?

Currently looking at the SO silex and the 6 moons design lunar solo. Anyone running these and feel strongly one way or the other?

By far my favorite tent for September/ early October is the Kuiu mountain star. Sets up easy. Tent is one piece with 3 poles. Sets up in less than 5 min. No fighting a tent and fly. It’s a two man which is perfect for one and gear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Floorless all the way. I run a Seek Outside Cimarron. Here it's pitched with a log. The only time I've ever had an issue was in high winds pitched in areas with loose dirt/sand. The wind will drive dust underneath the tarp and into the "living space."

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1.png
Views:	1
Size:	333.7 KB
ID:	24704117
      Last edited by simek; 01-10-2023, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Check out Tarptents by Henry Shires. I use a double rainbow, but you could save weight and get a single. I used my Tarp Tent on both by AT and PCT hike. Had it sent back after AT and was rehabbed for cheap. These tents are light, set up in seconds and will keep you dry when the weather hits. I hiked the PCT with my wife this summer and we found the double rainbow to be big enough for 2 and after five months we were/are still married. One night in Oregon the mosquitoes were so bad we realized I’d the big mesh ripped we would have died… it held. I don’t know how bad bugs are in sept and October when hunting, but for summer hiking, ya gotta have a way to keep them at bay.

Comment

Tarp Tent in action…. Has a floor. Can we set up with hiking poles (if you use hiking poles). Very handy when setting up on rocks.

Name:	1AEDE72E-799F-4B0F-9E22-14A571465F15.jpeg
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	24704119

Name:	ADC107DF-3915-4D09-9658-D3169CAC0DDF.jpeg
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	24704120

Comment

Anyone ever tried or heard about these ultralight chairs?

The QwikBack™ UL Chair allows you to relax in the backcountry without carrying all the weight.

Wont be taking my chair zero on a couple trips this year and figured I was going chair less. Would be nice to have a backrest to lean back against in the evenings while eating or while glassing all day. Coming in at 2.65 oz and taking up next to no room.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
              By far my favorite tent for September/ early October is the Kuiu mountain star. Sets up easy. Tent is one piece with 3 poles. Sets up in less than 5 min. No fighting a tent and fly. It’s a two man which is perfect for one and gear

I have this one, and has been a pleasure.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post

The QwikBack™ UL Chair allows you to relax in the backcountry without carrying all the weight.

Wont be taking my chair zero on a couple trips this year and figured I was going chair less. Would be nice to have a backrest to lean back against in the evenings while eating or while glassing all day. Coming in at 2.65 oz and taking up next to no room.

I would suffer the extra 14oz and take the chair zero. Worth every penny IMO. Took mine last weekend to lost maples on a backpacking trip and won’t go anywhere without it when backpacking.

Sierracharlie out....

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                  I would suffer the extra 14oz and take the chair zero. Worth every penny IMO. Took mine last weekend to lost maples on a backpacking trip and won’t go anywhere without it when backpacking.

Sierracharlie out....
                  I would definitely take my chair zero if I wasn’t going solo for two plus weeks at a time basically thru-hiking/hunting (not camping in the same spot unless I’m waiting out an animal). I’m trying to go as light as I possibly can and my motto right now is ounces equal pounds and pounds equal pain haha.

Comment

I would definitely take my chair zero if I wasn’t going solo for two plus weeks at a time basically thru-hiking/hunting (not camping in the same spot unless I’m waiting out an animal). I’m trying to go as light as I possibly can and my motto right now is ounces equal pounds and pounds equal pain haha.

Ok that makes sense too. I was blown away sitting in that thing eating evening chow after 9 miles of hiking LOL.

Sierracharlie out....

Comment

I could see that being useful glassing in the right situation, can't always find a tree to lean on in the right spot. I'd be afraid I'd immediately break those little poles though.

Comment

Enjoying this thread for sure. I have been slowly getting gear together for a November Montana elk/mule deer hunt. Outdoor Research gators & Prana Zion pants have been my latest additions. Wish I had found out about these pants years ago!

Comment

This bad boy came in the other day. Comes in at 1 lb 5.6 oz for fluid head and tripod. Holds a camera steady. Haven’t gotten to use it with my spotter other than here in the house. Not as rock steady as my sirui head and tripod but less than half the weight it’s understandable. Planning on putting it to use this spring to see how it holds up with some wind. I would be surprised if it doesn’t handle it well with a 4lb spotter on top of it.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                            I could see that being useful glassing in the right situation, can't always find a tree to lean on in the right spot. I'd be afraid I'd immediately break those little poles though.
                            That’s my one concern is it breaking but I’m not a big guy and the dude in the picture outweighs me for sure haha.

Comment

The less it weighs, the more it costs.

Comment

This bad boy came in the other day. Comes in at 1 lb 5.6 oz for fluid head and tripod. Holds a camera steady. Haven’t gotten to use it with my spotter other than here in the house. Not as rock steady as my sirui head and tripod but less than half the weight it’s understandable. Planning on putting it to use this spring to see how it holds up with some wind. I would be surprised if it doesn’t handle it well with a 4lb spotter on top of it.

Which one is that?

Sierracharlie out....

Comment

Working...
                                X