The Backcountry Gear Thread!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
    Trying to get a Christmas list together. How many of you use trekking poles, and if so any recommendations?
    Been using Cascade Mountain tech 3k carbon poles. I go out a lot and they’ve been good. Cheap enough to not get upset when they’ll eventually break. I use them for hiking and for my tent

Comment

Originally posted by Jared.King View Post
      Been using Cascade Mountain tech 3k carbon poles. I go out a lot and they’ve been good. Cheap enough to not get upset when they’ll eventually break. I use them for hiking and for my tent
      For the price- those poles are great. I upgraded from those to Leki’s and the biggest difference besides weight is the Leki’s make a lot less noise when in use/components are tighter fitting.

To the original questions, poles are great for not only uphill (muscle fatigue) but downhill (joint/knee fatigue).

You can also get the wiser precision product and turn your poles into a bipod or rear support.

Comment

Trying to get a Christmas list together. How many of you use trekking poles, and if so any recommendations?
        I use mountain smith, carbon with cork handles.. they are very awesome!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Comment

Always use trekking poles or have them in my pack no matter where I’m hunting. Cork handles are the way to go. I prefer aluminum as it can be bent back as where carbon just breaks. Carbon is lighter though, just have to decide what trade off you can live with. If you cross the straps over each other they double as shooting sticks. Also can be used as poles for supporting a tent or tarps. Doubling one piece of gear for several tasks is always a plus. If using as shooting sticks make sure you practice a bit so they aren’t slipping around on you in the field.

Comment

Thanks for the replys gents!

Comment

Originally posted by rosco11 View Post
              I use mountain smith, carbon with cork handles.. they are very awesome!

Looks like your are breaking in a new pair! That's the cleanest pair of trekking pole handles I ever seen...

Comment

Originally posted by Still Hunter View Post
                Looks like your are breaking in a new pair! That's the cleanest pair of trekking pole handles I ever seen...
                Haha! Yeah, not sure why.. I've had them out 4 or 5 times

Comment

Starting to make some new additions for this year. I feel I am happy with what I have for clothing, boots, and pack so far so I will likely just make some changes involving camp. Got the new JetBoil Stash and looking for a new sleeping pad and 1p tent. May even add a spotting scope to the arsenal as that is the only glass I do not have

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                    Starting to make some new additions for this year. I feel I am happy with what I have for clothing, boots, and pack so far so I will likely just make some changes involving camp. Got the new JetBoil Stash and looking for a new sleeping pad and 1p tent. May even add a spotting scope to the arsenal as that is the only glass I do not have
                    My 2cents

Small spotter-Kowa TSN-553
                    Mid spotter -KOWA 77
                    Big spotter -Swaro *TX 85-115

Pad I haven’t found one better for the weight then seatosummit comfort plus insulated

I also haven’t found a one man that’s actually one man, most are .5. I rotate between kifaru tut and a mountain hardware ghost ul2( 2 lbs. 9 oz)
                    Last edited by Texans42; 01-08-2022, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post

I second the swaro 95. I’ve found more animals in the last 4 years due to that glass then I ever had before.

For my one man tent I’ve used a Kifaru supertarp exclusively for the last 6 years. Floorless never has bothered me although it might not be everyone’s cup of tea.

I’ve got friends that use the Nemo Hornet and the big Agnes copper spur with success.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                        My 2cents

Small spotter-Kowa TSN-553
                        Mid spotter -KOWA 77
                        Big spotter -Swaro *TX 85-115

Pad I haven’t found one better for the weight then seatosummit comfort plus insulated

I also haven’t found a one man that’s actually one man, most are .5. I rotate between kifaru tut and a mountain hardware ghost ul2( 2 lbs. 9 oz)
                        I’m a huge fan of my EL Binos but I just don’t think I can justify the money on a Swaro spotter. No doubt it would be best I just don’t think I would ever have the amount of use from it to make it worth the coin.

I’ll check out the pad I’ve gone down a hole on the comparisons already haha . Never ending

Tents are the same never ending comparisons. Have narrowed down to a few all with the ability to use an inner or go floor less. Not sure floor less is my thing but nice to have options. I don’t mind small sleep area if there is still vestibule space for gear in bad weather. Looking to stay under 2lb with full setup which would also drop some weight if I decided to go without the inner/nest

Comment

One thing to keep in mind is that in addition to the spotter, a good tripod is fairly expensive too. I have an Outdoorsman tripod with a Jim White head that I bought 10 years ago, and I like it, but my goodness are they expensive. Some of the new carbon tripods are well over $1k.

Comment

Walmart has these on sale. Can't beat the price.

The Green Midnight is a nice Olive color.

Comment

Planning a trip to Idaho, will be hunting early October. Need recommendations for a tent.
                              2 person, like to keep price $300 or less, something that can be packed in. Not sure if it needs to be a 3 or 4 season? I am a tent novice.

Comment

I have spent many nights in a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2. They have similar products at lower price points. You could also go the floorless super tarp route with something like the SG SKYAIR ULT 2 PERSON TARP TENT.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X