The Backcountry Gear Thread!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adam and I leave out this afternoon...

The prep is over, and it's almost game time! We'll hit the trail at daylight on Thursday with plans to hike back out the following Friday, ahead of Muzzy season.

I've wavered back and forth, but after my hike two weeks ago and having to pitch the tarp on an incline (which caused me to slide down my sleeping pad all night), I've decided our "Plan A" area is tailor made for hammock camping. I've added a hammock, underquilt and suspension, which adds 44 oz, but I switched to a 4 oz lighter sleeping pad (at the expense of 50% reduction in insulative r-value) for a net 2.25# gain. I could eliminate the pad altogether, but the 15 oz difference gives me the option to ground sleep if conditions or terrain dictate. I think the versatility will be somewhat critical for eight nights on the mountain.

My pack weight (excluding water, food and bow (7.5#), and binoculars/rf in harness (3.25#)) is 38.5#. 8 days of food is 12.5-13#. Because we will have access to water available for most of the hike, I should hit the trail head at around 62# including the liter of water on my hip. I ran 68# on my trip a couple of weeks ago (including 12+ lbs of water!)

Other than hammock/quilt or sleeping pad, I'm not sure where else I could shave weight, aside from maybe a day's food. I have a feeling I'll have a little food remaining each day that I could accumulate for the end, but I'm not sure it's worth risking.
    My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

The prep is over, and it's almost game time! We'll hit the trail at daylight on Thursday with plans to hike back out the following Friday, ahead of Muzzy season.

I've wavered back and forth, but after my hike two weeks ago and having to pitch the tarp on an incline (which caused me to slide down my sleeping pad all night), I've decided our "Plan A" area is tailor made for hammock camping. I've added a hammock, underquilt and suspension, which adds 44 oz, but I switched to a 4 oz lighter sleeping pad (at the expense of 50% reduction in insulative r-value) for a net 2.25# gain. I could eliminate the pad altogether, but the 15 oz difference gives me the option to ground sleep if conditions or terrain dictate. I think the versatility will be somewhat critical for eight nights on the mountain.

My pack weight (excluding water, food and bow (7.5#), and binoculars/rf in harness (3.25#)) is 38.5#. 8 days of food is 12.5-13#. Because we will have access to water available for most of the hike, I should hit the trail head at around 62# including the liter of water on my hip. I ran 68# on my trip a couple of weeks ago (including 12+ lbs of water!)

Other than hammock/quilt or sleeping pad, I'm not sure where else I could shave weight, aside from maybe a day's food. I have a feeling I'll have a little food remaining each day that I could accumulate for the end, but I'm not sure it's worth risking.
      Hopefully y'all had time to practice some long distance shots in between your shopping sprees! Good luck and let the air out of something!

We'll be watching and waiting on the 15th to get here ourselves!
      Last edited by Traildust; 08-28-2018, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
        Hopefully y'all had time to practice some long distance shots in between your shopping sprees! Good luck and let the air out of something!

We'll be watching and waiting on the 15th to get here ourselves!
        LOL! Yep, I'm dialed in out to 60 after a lot of testing and tweaking to my setup.
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Good luck. You headed to a OTC unit or did you draw?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by perow View Post
              Who all is running Mystery Ranch packs? There is a 25% off sale and I am really considering picking up the metcalf
              I haven't had a chance to pack out an elk or deer with my metcalf yet but I really like it. It's a quality pack and it's zippers/straps are well thought out. If you ever follow the elk hunter Randy Newberg, he uses one and really recommends it.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidH44 View Post
                I haven't had a chance to pack out an elk or deer with my metcalf yet but I really like it. It's a quality pack and it's zippers/straps are well thought out. If you ever follow the elk hunter Randy Newberg, he uses one and really recommends it.
                It will most likely carry more than you are capable. I like my metcalf, but I do like the flexibility that Kifaru offers.

Comment

I have currently been looking at an eberlestock battleship bag for a 10 day elk hunt next September, I'm pretty limited on budget! any opinions on this bag?

Comment

Originally posted by Pstephens14 View Post
                    I have currently been looking at an eberlestock battleship bag for a 10 day elk hunt next September, I'm pretty limited on budget! any opinions on this bag?
                    Can't give you info on this particular bag, but as far as the budget aspect, maybe consider breaking up the purchases of frame and pack. I just ordered a Kifaru Duplex frame alone, plus a cargo net. I can train with the frame carrying loads as well as attach a daypack for local hunting immediately. Later, I can get a larger pack for possible elk hunt in two years.

Comment

I’ve been buying WAY to much gear the last few days [emoji849] that’s what happens when I don’t get to hunt in September

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                        Can't give you info on this particular bag, but as far as the budget aspect, maybe consider breaking up the purchases of frame and pack. I just ordered a Kifaru Duplex frame alone, plus a cargo net. I can train with the frame carrying loads as well as attach a daypack for local hunting immediately. Later, I can get a larger pack for possible elk hunt in two years.
                        Thanks I’ll definitely add that in as an option!

Comment

Packaged all my food yesterday, I’ll be right around 2lbs and 3200 calories for each day. Before food, water and my bow- I’m a hair over 20lbs. Leaving Thursday morning!!

Comment

Picked up a woobie for $3 today...looks and feels brand new

Should be chasing them here in about 12 weeks.

Comment

I'm looking to maybe get some Kuiu clothes for next years Elk hunt. How do the sizes run? Which gear is to light or to heavy for the mountain temps? I'm thinking 30-40 at night and 60-70 during the day.

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
                                I'm looking to maybe get some Kuiu clothes for next years Elk hunt. How do the sizes run? Which gear is to light or to heavy for the mountain temps? I'm thinking 30-40 at night and 60-70 during the day.

Kuiu gear runs small for the most part. Some smaller than others. I can run a XL in most of their top pieces but had to get a XXL in the puffy jacket.

The kuiu/sitka/first lite gear is all meant to be a total system. If your missing one piece then it’s not going to preform perfectly. Basically my system is.

1-2 merino layers
                                A fleece layer
                                A puffy layer
                                A Packable rain/hard shell layer

Bottom
                                Pants
                                Packable Rain pants

In my opinion stay away from the guide series/soft shell layers for mountain hunting. They are heavy and kinda pointless because they aren’t water resistant or rain proof.

Comment

Working...
                                X